Josh Allen - week EIGHT report card

rayray808

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah I agree with a B for this one. He wasn't asked to carry the offense, for once.  Managed the game well and only had one mistake when he stepped out of bounds. He had some good audibles. Threw what should have been a game winning TD pass. I just can't grade higher than a B in a game with 18 attempts.

^what I posted in the other Josh Allen thread

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK ONE: B+

WEEK TWO: A+

WEEK THREE: B+

WEEK FOUR: A-

WEEK FIVE: B-

WEEK SIX: D

WEEK SEVEN: D+

WEEK EIGHT: A

11/18 - 61% completion - 154 yards - 1 INT - 23 yards rushing - 1 TD

The good: We beat the Pats and Josh Allen was the reason. We ran the ball well today but that is because the Patriots had to respect the pass and the arm of our franchise QB. His audible play call to John Brown for that quick pass was awesome next level stuff!

The bad: The INT was a miscommunication with Diggs, and Stefon was event seen on the sideline telling Josh "my bad". That game swung the momentum and brought the Pats back in it, but again it was not Josh Allens fault at all so it shouldn't count.

The ugly: Gabe Davis not being able to catch what should have been the game winning TD. Josh threw is right on target but Davis couldn't catch it. Maybe the wind caught it towards the end but I will just chalk it up as a rookie mistake that he will learn from.

Glass half full: We beat the Pats. We are 4-0 in the division and sitting pretty nice in the standings. I am guessing NE goes to Stidham next week and honestly I think the Dolphins are better with Fitz so let's see how they take the rest of the season. The division is ours for the taking. Let's just get better each week as we head into the playoffs.

Glass half empty: Schedule gets tough from here. Real tough. Can we make it out while improving in the games we lose?

GO BILLS!

Think the A is way to high, around B sound better.  The int wasn't really on him and wind was bad.  They also ran maybe too much so put Allen back there passing when everyone  knew he was passing which doesn't help. 

Almost seemed like the game plan today was "we are going to show that we can run the ball today no matter what"  Which to their credit, they did.

On the other hand a a D+ for last week sounds way too low, 300 yards, a hair under 70% completion, no int's  and nine drives within scoring position.  Yes no TD's but many of those weren't his fault.  Was it his fault that Davis didn't line up right on the line or the O line holding that pushed them way back.  Don't recall some of the other drives anymore, but was much better than a D+ performance IMO.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

So you think it was his 2nd best game of the season? I don't see how that can be.

I'd give him a B-, I suppose.

I get that. Please remember, it was played in very difficult wet and windy conditions and after the INT Diggs seemed to indicate he turned the wrong way.

Regardless, I’ll take a win against the Cheaters* any day! Is that the first for Josh and McD?  Why should we be doing anything other than celebrating? We have things to work on, but I’m not complaining tonight. 

B

I can live with his interception where Diggs went right and Allen went left.  they were not in the same page on that play. The gameplan didn't ask for him to do too much, scored a TD and should have had a TD that Davis dropped. I think he had a big audible on that quick strike to Brown for an easy first down. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The narrative was supposed to be that he "made a huge step in the offseason" and the single most important thing that occurred with this team in our first 4 games was the offense.  Finally, we had the elite passer and high power offense we have wanted since Jim Kelly was around.  And it felt good!  

That's all gone now and it's been that way for a month.

Is it going to come back?  When?

Which Josh Allen is the rule and which is the exception to the rule?

They need to unleash him. I feel like JA is currently echoing the coaching staff. Timid and playing not to lose. 

Edited by Do The Reich Thing

I don't know where someone came up with "D+" for a win last week, but I'll focus on this week. I was going to go with a C or C+, but after rethinking the conditions, I would go with a B- or possibly even a B. Josh did not look rattled and was not making bad decisions, which is a plus; when he didn't know where to go he played it safe. That helped us win the game, therefore it has to be in the B range.

41 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's harsh. 14ypa? 61%? INT?  23rds rushing + TD? He was fine. Worth a B.

He ran out of bounds and took a sack that was dumb , the pick and maybe not his fault but a risky throw just the same    He wasnt above average  Not terrible not fantastic  Maybe Gabe catches the td an were not relying on a Cam fumble and he gets the B 

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

I get that. Please remember, it was played in very difficult wet and windy conditions and after the INT Diggs seemed to indicate he turned the wrong way.

Regardless, I’ll take a win against the Cheaters* any day! Is that the first for Josh and McD?  Why should we be doing anything other than celebrating? We have things to work on, but I’m not complaining tonight. 

Oh, I agree. I have no problem with the win and I have no problem with the game being tight. Games are like that more often than not.

I had him at B- to B....should of had a TD pass with the TD run.

Thought he managed the moment well and I think that is something a lot of the fans are not looking at.  I know a lot of us wanted the crush the PATS score but he played solid and did not really give anyone those sugar high Josh moments.  The Int was a miss communication and those happen form time to time. 

Sure I would of loved to see some more underneath throws but the game was on the ground and it was working well keeping the achilles heel off the field the D so I have no issue with the game plan.

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree on the grade (I’d give him a B). 
But today wasn’t about Josh. It was about the OLine coming together and our ground and pound was in full effect today. 
Double Josh’s throw attempts and he’s 22/36 for 300. He did fine but certainly not top student. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think today was a great example of where judging a QB by his stats can be misleading.  I would give Allen a B+.

As others have noted he had several successful audibles that resulted in big yardage.  On the big pass play to Diggs Allen was looking for the home run strike way downfield.  That was a check down pass that the 2019 Allen probably doesn't take and it led to a TD.

In the 2nd half Allen led the Bills to 17 points on 4 possessions.  And if Gabe hangs onto that TD pass it would have been 3 TD drives in 4 possessions.

Bellicheat was counting on Allen getting greedy then getting rattled and he was neither.  That played a big role in the Bills win today.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

Wait, you gave him a D+ last week and an A this week? Maybe you should stop doing this. 

Last week my thread got taken down for the low grade... I think I am only allow to give good grades now cause this one stayed up

• Awesome! (+1) 1