Postgame Thread Bills vs. Patriots

Chandler#81

7 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

How many times have you seen that before, NE marching down field end of the game. One can be happy with our record on paper and still see the glaring flaws a team has without being dumb. Think bigger my dude 

I mean, you claim Allen looked terrible today... that makes you sound dumb.  

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So true. Today was an opportunity to take advantage of a depleted Belichick team and maybe exorcise some demons. But instead our mediocre coaching staff and several struggling players survived a game they most definitely would have lost. These last 4 weeks makes you reevaluate this teams ability in the playoffs? 

They should still make the playoffs, just look at the [lack of] strength of the AFCE

Making some noise in the playoffs?  Certainly does not look like it right now.

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Well, he's smart enough to play five positions on the o-line. So, yes, I do think he's capable of doing that.

I do believe that the real value in a top center is setting the line and calling and adjusting protections, which no doubt Bates is capable of. However, the key is years of experience is sliding protections to the D's strength. I don't think Bates is ready for that...yet.

16 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I was happy with Marlowe performance in place of Hyde. 

AJ Klein needs to be taken off the football field. 

Yeah, Klein seems to be a significant liability.  Hopefully, the new guy they just signed can pick up the defense quickly and will click in this scheme.  At least he can run.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I mean, you claim Allen looked terrible today... that makes you sound dumb.  

It must be a heavy burden knowing you’re so much smarter than everyone. If you aren’t concerned with his play the last couple weeks I envy your blissful ignorance 

31 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

the ball was on target.   

even if the ball moved a little he should have adjusted. 

Gabe is a guy who looked all-world his first few games and seems to be struggling now.  I wonder what's up - did he get a few "Welcome to the NFL, Rookie!" hits against Tennessee (9 targets, 5 receptions) and KC and now he's hearing footsteps?  Obviously some of the lack of contribution is not his fault, like a TD being called back because Gilliam wasn't on the LOS or the INT in Tenn. or some of the balls Josh has tried to force in when he's double-covered. 

But other aspects, like that TD and pretty sure I saw a ball right in his breadbasket early where he was going to be hit and hit hard, but he should have had that one.

27 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

It must be a heavy burden knowing you’re so much smarter than everyone. If you aren’t concerned with his play the last couple weeks I envy your blissful ignorance 

Why would I be concerned with a 300 yard passing game against the Jets and a game where we ran the ball against NE with the wind and 7 DB look all game?  

Both teams forced Allen to do what he hasn’t done... take the short stuff (Jets) and allow the running game to take over (Pats). 

I think Josh is going to have to step up against Seattle and do much, much better than he did against KC.  Won’t argue that.   I also hope Brown is finally healed up, because Davis is not ready to be that WR2. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Why would I be concerned with a 300 yard passing game against the Jets and a game where we ran the ball against NE with the wind and 7 DB look all game?  

Both teams forced Allen to do what he hasn’t done... take the short stuff (Jets) and allow the running game to take over (Pats). 

I think Josh is going to have to step up against Seattle and do much, much better than he did against KC.  Won’t argue that.   I also hope Brown is finally healed up, because Davis is not ready to be that WR2. 

104.6, 146.7, 128.9, 115.8, 77.6,  73.4,  90, 65.5. Those are his ratings week by week and the last 2 weeks will be the easiest he gets all season. Congrats on a 300 yard game against the jets, somethings not the same but idk what it is 

1 minute ago, BillsMafia13 said:

104.6, 146.7, 128.9, 115.8, 77.6,  73.4,  90, 65.5. Those are his ratings week by week and the last 2 weeks will be the easiest he gets all season. Congrats on a 300 yard game against the jets, somethings not the same but idk what it is 

Seattle & Arizona are terrible defensively.  No reason outside McD that Josh shouldn't have 300+ vs both (and 30+ points). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Seattle & Arizona are terrible defensively.  No reason outside McD that Josh shouldn't have 300+ vs both (and 30+ points). 

I would feel more confident saying that about the jets and deflated pats. “No reason” hardly holds up with the bills 

Joe B take:

https://theathletic.com/2174241/2020/11/02/patriots-bills-observations/

Praise for Mongo: "Feliciano has been the Bills’ preferred backup center to Morse since last season. His rust showed up on a couple of plays, including when he allowed a quarterback hit after losing a block. Overall though, when Allen dropped back to pass, he had time, and Feliciano steadying the line after Morse’s departure played a big role in that."

Linebacker SOS: "Just like last week, Milano only played on obvious passing downs, such as third-and-long or end-of-half situations. Of the 67 defensive snaps for the Bills, my unofficial count had Milano at 15 (22 percent). That pushed Klein into a nearly every-down role and allowed for the young Andre Smith to work in on defense as the weak-side linebacker. Smith actually out-snapped Milano 16 to 15. The Bills’ lack of depth at linebacker on top of all of the injuries have really tested the defense this season. They haven’t been able to find consistent success with a below-average backup and a special teams player filtering in as their third linebacker. The run defense struggled as a result, leading to multiple opportunities for New England in the second half. The Bills need help at linebacker, whether from the expected signing of Darron Lee or at the trade deadline. What they have right now has become a clear liability."

Harrison Phillips: Phillips, once a staple of the team’s rotation, had become the Bills’ fifth-best defensive tackle of five and a healthy scratch in recent weeks. It’s difficult to ignore the message the Bills were sending to their former third-round pick. Players selected that early are supposed to become starters or, at least, dependable depth options. And with ten defensive linemen on the roster and the trade deadline around the corner, a change of scenery might serve Phillips well. .....Phillips started the game next to Ed Oliver and played nearly 60 percent of defensive snaps. The results, however, weren’t all that promising. Phillips was on the field for 26 rushing attempts, on which the Patriots gained 147 yards (5.7 yards per carry). Phillips wore down on the inside in the second half, as the Bills allowed 114 yards and 6.7 yards per carry over the final two quarters. While the coaches’ film will reveal how much Phillips was at fault for some of those breakdowns, it’s never a good sign when the starting one-technique defensive tackle was on the field for a number of significant gains up the middle of the defense.

I'm not sure Joe B and Matt Fairburn have been right about benching Phillips being a sign of impending trade.  McDermott talked differently about Phillips than he's talked about players he's given up on and we were about to trade like Zay Jones.  Earlier in the season, Frazier commented that Phillips made some good plays early in the game but wore down.  Feliciano talked about how two weeks ago he wasn't ready, but the S&C staff did a good job putting him on a program to build up conditioning and strength quickly.  I think the Bills may have been trying something similar with Phillips - playing inevitably hinders building strength and building conditioning because of the need for recovery and the inevitable dings and dents.  Unfortunately, if that was their plan, the overall results would tend to indicate mixed success because the Patriots definitely wore down the Bills D in the 2nd half.

The next 36 hrs will be very interesting, to see what the Bills do (or don't do) before the Trade deadline.

38 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Arizona is currently #9 on PPG given up on D.    If you just look at the current standings which are a wreck because so many teams have played different # of games, they're 6th.

Seattle has legit ? on D. They're at #24 on PPG given up.  28 ppg

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

There are no “great” defenses in the nfl this year 

Outside the Steelers, perhaps!

However, the entire D is a 5 Alarm Tire Fire! I simply cannot recall a Bills D, being sooooo badly out of position on so many plays, being unable to cover, woefully poor at Tackling, of course, unable to Rush, and farcically, bottom feeding INEPT on 3rd. & longs!

It’s a freaking disaster! And unless corrected, the Bills will limp through to the Playoffs, where McClapper will be 0-3. Outside the Eagles, there are NO stiffs in the Playoffs!