All-22 analysis: A.J. Epenesa

artmalibu

57 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

Just curious why this sample of all 22 didn't include the play where he split the double team and made a tackle for a loss in the background?  That was an impressive play.

I think he's coming along just fine.  I will wait to be more critical until he puts in a full season.  For a late 2nd round pick I think he is doing okay.  If he were a high first I would have higher expectations though.

It's play #8 from the review.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Did not see a thread on this.  

I hope AJ can sharpen up his game to become a legit rotational guy next year.  

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/10/29/21537634/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-de-a-j-epenesa-vs-new-york-jets

my take away is for a power guy in college he seems quick and high motor. 

1 hour ago, Fred Slacks said:

Just curious why this sample of all 22 didn't include the play where he split the double team and made a tackle for a loss in the background?  That was an impressive play.

I think he's coming along just fine.  I will wait to be more critical until he puts in a full season.  For a late 2nd round pick I think he is doing okay.  If he were a high first I would have higher expectations though.

was there. Great play. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Has anyone addressed his weight loss? Was it planned? If so, for what purpose?

I was thinking this exact same thing, his burst off the snap with the weight loss is noticeable. His long arms and hand placement are very good, I feel like he will develop into a solid to good DE. I also get the feeling he is one of those film guys who spend hours studying his opponents weakness then exploits them.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m sure they did too. You’d think they’d know by now after minicamp, OTAs, training camp and preseason games..

People act like Rookisevand coaches didn't have all these opportunities this year for some reason.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

that’s a fair point.  I’m thinking when they drafted him, what was the plan?  Perhaps they anticipated better DL play so that they had  time to adjust in-season.  Still for a highish pick it seems odd that they don’t know how to best use him.  

I'm guessing the plan was something like: holy hell, Epenesa fell to us in the 2nd effing round?! We cannot pass on that kind of value. Draft him and figure it out later.

BPA and let McD and his coaches figure it out. Let's hope they do.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think the coaches are still trying to figure out where and what they want him to play. He’s not strong enough for DE imo but more bulk won’t help him at LB.

Sounds like a promising player...

• Haha (+1) 1