All-22 analysis: A.J. Epenesa

artmalibu

7 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Expecting rookies to make much of an impact during this COVID Era is a bit unrealistic. Rookies are behind the curve starting out to begin with and this just made it harder for them to become instant contributors.

Gabriel Davis begs to differ. But with that said, I’m wanting to see more reps from Epenesa. It’s not like the guys in front of him on the depth chart are lighting it up.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

AJE is a rookie and seems to make at least one play in every game he is in

Its a start

Coming out of an NFL strength and conditioning program, he'll be bigger and stronger next year.  You'll see.  I'm not concerned at all.  Good pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sorry, but I can't take anything from buffalo rumblings seriously anymore. They started to go downhill a couple years ago, when the original creator of the site decided to bring in other writers.

Looking at the 9 play "sample" it looks like he started of slow, but got better as the game went on. I see no problem with that at all. As a matter of fact that's a good thing, a lot better than some of our other D-Linemen.

Under play 5 the author states "However, combining the evidence from all nine, plus my impressions of watching college tape on Epenesa (here) leads me to the conclusion he struggles with his power game. He doesn’t get good push here. While it is against a double team, he has room to gain a head of steam and there’s no ambiguity about which side of this won"

This guy says that Epenesa struggles with his power game, but then he says it was against a double team.... If he has no power, then he wouldn't be getting double teamed.

Plus if you guys remember correctly Power was his strength in college. Speed was his weakness(hence why he lost some weight, I'm sure he was asked to do so.)

https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/40237/aj-epenesa

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/aj-epenesa/z0ksGGlsMr

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/2020-nfl-draft-profile-aj-epenesa

Those links are all draft profiles stating that his power game is one of his strengths.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Gabriel Davis begs to differ. But with that said, I’m wanting to see more reps from Epenesa. It’s not like the guys in front of him on the depth chart are lighting it up.

He hasn’t really lit it up in terms of stats although he has played well. However, having legitimate threats around him doesn’t hurt. Much more difficult to play on the offensive and defensive line for a rookie coming out.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s where I’m at. We don’t have much to lose by putting him out there. If this were a top ranked D, and you worried about ruining the chemistry I’d get it. I’m simply a proponent of guys needing reps to develop into NFL players. I don’t expect him to have limited reps this season, and magically look like a decent player next season. 

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Has anyone addressed his weight loss? Was it planned? If so, for what purpose?

The college players steroid testing is inconsistent at best, some schools don't test at all, and of course there's a big window from the last day of the college season to the combine.

I'm not saying A.J. is doing a Maybin Bait and Switch but the reality is you can't mess with the same drugs in the NFL as you can at Iowa. 

That said we've seen the transformation in players like Moulds and Biscuit where they were way skinnier as NFL rookies than they were in their prime playing days.   

He has the 6'6 frame to carry 280lbs like he did at Iowa and not look fat at all.   The question is can he do it within the NFL PED restrictions.

Hi old man Eppy was a big DL, the kid has the Samoan genes.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BananaB said:

From what I seen so far this year, you don’t notice the kid much and then he makes one really nice play  that makes you think to yourself, who the ***** was that.

right ! 
its was kinda cool i realized who 57 was. I checked my sheet and then began watching for him  :)

He needs a year in the weight room.

His Combine showed a borderline NFL athlete with a 5.0+ second 40 yard-dash, 17 reps on the bench, 32.5” vertical.

I think those numbers point to a an athlete who is not explosive and is more of a try hard player. 

So between weight room work and technique, he may get 6-8 sacks a year.