All-22 analysis: A.J. Epenesa

artmalibu

A tad harsh. He’s not starting for a reason, but at least I’ve seen continuous improvement through the 1st seven games. I think the coaches are still trying to figure out where and what they want him to play. He’s not strong enough for DE imo but more bulk won’t help him at LB.

• Like (+1) 9

He's not getting his arms up fast enough? It seems that he's overpowered simply because he's not delivering any punch. When he does have his hands up early, he's fine. 

I guess I'm not worried yet because the ability is there and he has the right mentality. He'll probably reach his ceiling. Not sure how high that is.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

A tad harsh. He’s not starting for a reason, but at least I’ve seen continuous improvement through the 1st seven games. I think the coaches are still trying to figure out where and what they want him to play. He’s not strong enough for DE imo but more bulk won’t help him at LB.

If that’s the case, I wish the coaches had an idea of where and what they wanted him to play before drafting him in the 2nd. 

16 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Did not see a thread on this.  

I hope AJ can sharpen up his game to become a legit rotational guy next year.  

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/10/29/21537634/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-de-a-j-epenesa-vs-new-york-jets

I’d like to see him as a legit starter/contributor.   I think he will be serviceable, but he needs to be better than that for a 2nd round pick.  I think be will be.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, RyanC883 said:

If that’s the case, I wish the coaches had an idea of where and what they wanted him to play before drafting him in the 2nd. 

I’m sure they did too. You’d think they’d know by now after minicamp, OTAs, training camp and preseason games..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

I’m sure they did too. You’d think they’d know by now after minicamp, OTAs, training camp and preseason games..

that’s a fair point.  I’m thinking when they drafted him, what was the plan?  Perhaps they anticipated better DL play so that they had  time to adjust in-season.  Still for a highish pick it seems odd that they don’t know how to best use him.  

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I’d like to see him as a legit starter/contributor.   I think he will be serviceable, but he needs to be better than that for a 2nd round pick.  I think be will be.  

I don't think he will ever develop into a "war daddy" Frontline sack artist. But I think he can be a number 2 starting DE who can be a consistent 7.5-9.5 sack a year player. Which for a late 2nd round pick is a fair return.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

I don't think he will ever develop into a "war daddy" Frontline sack artist. But I think he can be a number 2 starting DE who can be a consistent 7.5-9.5 sack a year player. Which for a late 2nd round pick is a fair return.

2nd starting DE would be fine with me.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just curious why this sample of all 22 didn't include the play where he split the double team and made a tackle for a loss in the background?  That was an impressive play.

I think he's coming along just fine.  I will wait to be more critical until he puts in a full season.  For a late 2nd round pick I think he is doing okay.  If he were a high first I would have higher expectations though.

35 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I thought he had some good play against the Jets.

11 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

Just curious why this sample of all 22 didn't include the play where he split the double team and made a tackle for a loss in the background?  That was an impressive play.

This is my beef with a lot of all-22 that cherrypicks certain plays.  You can put together an Edmunds hate clip or an Edmunds love clip (honest - they're out there).  Ditto on this, it seems to omit some good plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I appreciate the video breakdown, don't really agree much with the commentary.

What we know so far is AJ's NFL body is a little lighter than expected, so as a result he has less leverage and more speed.  Definitely our fastest lineman.

So now it's work and reps to improve technique, handwork, bend, play recognition, gap control, maintaining pocket width, pass rush counters etc.   

He will be a good player for us, it's hard to tell how he'll be used because he's become a bit of a tweener.

Rooting for the kid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

He is looking “slight” and needs another 15-20lbs for DE. 

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I would love to is him as a starter too.  Being realistic not many guys come out of collage and play DE at a high level, especially guys who dont go in round 1.