Micah Hyde's Last Season In Buffalo?

corta765

I was taking a look today at Spotrac and what Hyde's dead cap hit is for 2021. Turns out if we cut him next season we only end up owing 1.6 mil of his 6.5 mil deal.

Hyde was a foundation guy I wanted when he was a FA in 2017 and his first two seasons he was easily one of the Bills best players and the pro bowl was well earned in 2017. The last season and half though his play has regressed to the point I would consider getting rid of him. Last season his big plays were limited and he was responsible for missing coverage on the big TD Baltimore had. For how good last years D was I felt Hyde was more along for the ride then being a big contributor. This season he has been a trainwreck missing plays left and right while Poyer has covered his mistakes all over. Safety is a spot you can draft or fill pretty cheap and the Bills have found good safeties in the later rounds of the draft. Aaron Williams we converted to safety and was tracking to be a pro bowler before injuries wrecked his career.

I would rather see the Bills cut Hyde and Murphy to use for cap space to sign a better pass rusher or LB to help next season. Micah has done a fine job helping to bring the Bills to a new level, but we can get ahead of his regression especially considering he will be 30 next year also.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

I can see a restructure, but not an outright cut. This team should be pushing for a championship next year, and Hyde plays a big role in this defense.

I tend to agree. I don't think he's been as bad as some people are suggesting. 

Poor LB play and DL play can absolutely affect DB's. I think that's what were seeing here, a little bit. The DB's look exposed more often when LB's are out of position.

Hyde and Poyer are huge pieces to being able to disguise coverages...he is very important and there is no reason to cut him when they could easily restructure or make other moves.

You greatly underestimate his importance on this team.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I was taking a look today at Spotrac and what Hyde's dead cap hit is for 2021. Turns out if we cut him next season we only end up owing 1.6 mil of his 6.5 mil deal.

Hyde was a foundation guy I wanted when he was a FA in 2017 and his first two seasons he was easily one of the Bills best players and the pro bowl was well earned in 2017. The last season and half though his play has regressed to the point I would consider getting rid of him. Last season his big plays were limited and he was responsible for missing coverage on the big TD Baltimore had. For how good last years D was I felt Hyde was more along for the ride then being a big contributor. This season he has been a trainwreck missing plays left and right while Poyer has covered his mistakes all over. Safety is a spot you can draft or fill pretty cheap and the Bills have found good safeties in the later rounds of the draft. Aaron Williams we converted to safety and was tracking to be a pro bowler before injuries wrecked his career.

I would rather see the Bills cut Hyde and Murphy to use for cap space to sign a better pass rusher or LB to help next season. Micah has done a fine job helping to bring the Bills to a new level, but we can get ahead of his regression especially considering he will be 30 next year also.

Yeah, we'll just stroll over to the pass rusher and LB tree and pluck a couple while filling the holes you want to needlessly create.

I don't think Hyde's play has fallen off or regressed according to you think.  The missed coverage on the Baltimore TD may have been Poyer.  This was discussed at the time.

You would need to present the evidence that Poyer is covering up for Hyde's mistakes or that Hyde is a trainwreck this season.

If it's so easy to draft or fill a good safety pretty cheap, then how come so many teams lack in that department? 

12 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

I can see a restructure, but not an outright cut. This team should be pushing for a championship next year, and Hyde plays a big role in this defense.

Exactly - the point is to improve at positions of weakness, not create new holes we have to fill at the same time to save some $$

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, corta765 said:

They might be forced to cut Hyde and Murphy just to get under the cap next year. They are estimating a 30 to 50 mil cap decrease, We might have to rework Whites deal and release a few more just to get under the cap.

33 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I mean it makes him what... the 20th highest paid safety?  I'd rather move John Brown, or Butler if space is a major issue.

5 minutes ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

He hasn’t been as good as advertised. The big plays have completely fallen off.. idk tough decision but I would let him go. 

You save more money cutting butler than you do hyde.  2nd on the team in snaps this year, the primary center fielder/deep safety, can return punts in a pinch, and has experience at nickel corner.  to save what 4.5 in cap space?  I don't think you improve the team with the savings and fact that you have to use draft compensation to replace him.

Huge risk to take 90 something percent of defensive snaps and give them to a rookie.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I mean it makes him what... the 20th highest paid safety?  I'd rather move John Brown, or Butler if space is a major issue.

The place on the team where we're overpaying for underperformance right now is clearly DL.

IMO a lot of those deals were structured on the premise that our drafted talent Phillips, Oliver, and Epenesa would develop, and we would shed those contracts over the next 2 years with minimal dead cap.  If those guys don't develop as expected, that's the trouble spot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

They might be forced to cut Hyde and Murphy just to get under the cap next year. They are estimating a 30 to 50 mil cap decrease, We might have to rework Whites deal and release a few more just to get under the cap.

Murphys gone already.  Why hyde - and not Butler, Brown, or Matakevich?

So I was also looking at our cap situation yesterday, and I confess the thought "what about Hyde?" did cross my mind. I don't think he has been a trainwreck this year but he has been a bit nicked up and he does look a step slower on the field. The relationship between he and Poyer has been critical to much of our success defensively and our ability to disguise coverages but it is harder to play those more complex coverages when you are constantly facing 3rd and shorts. If you take that element away is dominant enough to re-sign? Not sure. Poyer has definitely outplayed him this season, Jordan has ben one of our few consistent defensive players. That being said I still think Hyde likely plays in Buffalo in 2021. I think what is less likely is they make a move to extend him beyond that point. I think they will draft a safety somewhere in the first 3 rounds next April. We know they were big on Dugger if he lasted until their pick this time around.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Murphys gone already.  Why hyde - and not Butler, Brown, or Matakevich?

They are not cutting Matakevich. He has been as reliable as advertised so far on teams.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The place on the team where we're overpaying for underperformance right now is clearly DL.

IMO a lot of those deals were structured on the premise that our drafted talent Phillips, Oliver, and Epenesa would develop, and we would shed those contracts over the next 2 years with minimal dead cap.  If those guys don't develop as expected, that's the trouble spot.

I'd tend to agree.  Star's contract comes back on the books so i assume butler or jefferson is gone (probably butler due to larger cap savings and less impact on the field).  More cap savings on hughes, but he seems to be better than addison and the savings difference is like 1 million.  

I also think the cap won't go down as much as we think - the estimate of 179 seems very low.  You theoretically can just borrow from future years cap to pay for this years.  Keep it static for 2021, maybe we get fans in the building and get it back to normal.  Then 2022 you end up at like 205 instead of like 210 or 215.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Not true btw. Spotrac is already basing its estimates on the cap floor the teams have agreed to ($175m) and the Bills have $6m of space. They might need to cut one or two lower value guys to sign draft picks, but they don't need to go to things like re-working White.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Huge risk to take 90 something percent of defensive snaps and give them to a rookie.  

Your over reacting to the ease of finding a player who is close in value either in draft or FA. McD's scheme is designed to make safeties have opportunities to shine. If they can take the LB corp and add a B level player over their current replacement level options and not lose much with replacement at safety they should do so.