Atlanta DE Harris ejection

DE Harris ejection last night seemed inappropriate. First off if that is a RB I don't think they even throw a flag. Bridgewater was stumbling and it was a bang bang play. I'm fine with a flag as he did hit the head and neck area but it was not helmet to helmet. I'm shocked he was ejecred. I've seen far worse not turn into elections. I've been an advocate for a targeting rule like college but a call like this really gives me pause that the NFL could get it right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

TeddyB was already on the ground.  Might not have been intentional, but it took their starter out of the game.  This will be a topic in player meetings all week, and will slow down this type of hit.  Would you feel the same had it been Josh? And he didnt return?  It didnt bother me

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

DE Harris ejection last night seemed inappropriate. First off if that is a RB I don't think they even throw a flag. Bridgewater was stumbling and it was a bang bang play. I'm fine with a flag as he did hit the head and neck area but it was not helmet to helmet. I'm shocked he was ejecred. I've seen far worse not turn into elections. I've been an advocate for a targeting rule like college but a call like this really gives me pause that the NFL could get it right.

He did lower his head pretty low to initiate contact.  

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

TeddyB was already on the ground.  Might not have been intentional, but it took their starter out of the game.  This will be a topic in player meetings all week, and will slow down this type of hit.  Would you feel the same had it been Josh? And he didnt return?  It didnt bother me

Yes.  The only way to reduce these hits is with big punishments. It.may not always seem fair, but every guy must play with the idea that he will be in trouble if he hits a someone in the head - especially a qb. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes.  The only way to reduce these hits is with big punishments. It.may not always seem fair, but every guy must play with the idea that he will be in trouble if he hits a someone in the head - especially a qb. 

This

22 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

I understand a penalty, but not ejection. He laid his shoulder into his neck/shoulder area. No concussion, and Bridgewater came back in later. 

I thought they jumped to a conclusion there. 

I would like to see more of these ejections.  As it stands, a defender can knock your QB out of the game for the price of 15 yards and stay in, more often than not.

That's not taking these kind of hits seriously.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I agree with the ejection as well.

I realize often they are already mid-lunge when they see they are about to hit late/inappropriately... and I'll give them that it all happens in a split-second, but you can really help yourself by doing literally anything to show that you're at least trying to ease up, even if slightly after-the-fact. A lot of guys now raise their arms to show they didn't really mean to hit him, or slightly roll it off one way or the other. I wonder if they practice that... they should.

I actually watched it a few times and it wasn’t entirely clear that bridgewater was going down. He sort of spun out of the trip and stumbled and I thought he was going to regain his balance. So I can sort or see why the defender kept coming hard. He may have been able to let up, but it seems pretty vague. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm more with Ethan on this one.  if anything, the guy who stuck his leg out should've been ejected. that started the process where Bridgewater stumbled and twisted. 

I truly don't think intent to injure was there (or think it was dirty). Watching it again at normal speed just now and I stand by that. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/video/falcons-charles-harris-ejected-hit-042509779.html

Edited by Nineforty
video link

4 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

I'm more with Ethan on this one.  if anything, the guy who stuck his leg out should've been ejected. that started the process where Bridgewater stumbled and twisted. 

I truly don't think intent to injure was there (or think it was dirty). Watching it again at normal speed just now and I stand by that. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/video/falcons-charles-harris-ejected-hit-042509779.html

agreed. The other thing to note— it was 3rd down. Looked almost like the defender was coming it to “stuff” him to be short of  the line of gain. Yeah, he was still 5 or so yards from the first down, but you wonder if the defender had a sense of that, and was trying to just make sure he didn’t get an inch.

the trip was total Bush league. But the hit didn’t seem dirty in this context. 

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This

I would like to see more of these ejections.  As it stands, a defender can knock your QB out of the game for the price of 15 yards and stay in, more often than not.

I just dont think the intent to injure was there and he didnt lead with his head. And Bridgewater wasnt on the ground yet. It was borderline, and should have been a penalty, but I feel like the precedent is that it has to be helmet to helmet for an ejection. 

Again, it was borderline and a dangerous hit, but the ejection really surprised me. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I agree with the ejection as well.

I realize often they are already mid-lunge when they see they are about to hit late/inappropriately... and I'll give them that it all happens in a split-second, but you can really help yourself by doing literally anything to show that you're at least trying to ease up, even if slightly after-the-fact. A lot of guys now raise their arms to show they didn't really mean to hit him, or slightly roll it off one way or the other. I wonder if they practice that... they should.

T*m Br*dy took acting lessons.  Does that surprise you?

Oh and it is not only me who spells it that way although I have been spelling it that way for years:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/07/marvez-on-tm-brdy-column-his-name-has-been-tarnished/

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/sarah-sara-and-sarah/e/58998672?autoplay=true

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS910US910&q="T*m+Br*dy"&nfpr=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiU1Nrz0dzsAhVrg3IEHfxcD_gQvgUoAXoECDIQKw&biw=1285&bih=742

Hard to argue he wasn't trying to hit the QB on the ground when he dived toward the ground to make the hit on a QB who started going down a full second before. You HAVE to eject players for stuff like that. QBs are too important to this game.

If that happened to Josh by Suh would you be against the ejection??

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

When I saw the replay, I immediately said he’s gone. And he was. It’s an easy call to make. The QB was helpless and going to the ground. A hit wasn’t even necessary. 

Also if you watch the replay, teddy was tripped and falling at the 42 and Harris came from 7 yards away to hit him. He wasn’t “in mid lunge”

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This

This right here ^^^

As Shaw66 said it’s how you train players to not do that stuff. Imo an ejection from a game should include the players game day check, and team fine of one million dollars to come out of the owners pocket. Piss off the owner and you will see this rectified immediately. Might sound awfully dramatic but we all know it would work. 

Edited by Don Otreply

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agreed. 2016 was a shocker! Hoping to reverse that on Tuesday..

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Hard to argue he wasn't trying to hit the QB on the ground when he dived toward the ground to make the hit on a QB who started going down a full second before. You HAVE to eject players for stuff like that. QBs are too important to this game.

If that happened to Josh by Suh would you be against the ejection??

I'm a braves fan. I'm admittedly the old man yelling at the clouds when it comes to bat-flipping and showing up the pitcher. Our team has one of the most aggressive bat-flippers in the game. When he hits an important home run and my friend texts me saying "LFGOOOOOOO!!!!!", I respond saying, "PULL THAT M%@$$@$r".

So to answer your question, yes. It matters not who this happened to. My opinion is based on the video and evidence. Reasonable people can disagree on this.