Chris Simms: The Bills are a perfect matchup for the Pats right now. Can't run, can't stop the run.

Thurman#1

44 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Yep.  The last time the Bills played a high rated rushing team (La Rams), they gave up huge rush yardage and 32 points.   Something has to give in this game.  If we can't stop the run it will be a brutal day.

Since the Rams game, they have played TN, which is 5th in rushing, and KC, which is 9th. The Rams are 7th. The Pats are 4th.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Simm's makes a good point BUT when the Bills throw caution to the wind (and this Sunday that might be literal) and ignore the passing game they can shut down the run.  The fact that Cam is struggling and the water boy may be playing WR suggests the Bills will redefine crowding the box and be able to shut down the Pat's running game without fear of getting burned over the top.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember saying this last year after the Eagles game....it seemed like every time the Bills played an opponent that was experiencing serious adversity, the Bills came up small.  Already this year, Tennessee coming off Covid, they destroy Buffalo....KC coming off a rare loss and declaring "We don't lose 2 in a row" ...no problem gashing the Bills.   

Now Cam Newton and New England are calling this a "Must Win" to save their season (and possibly his career)... We shall see.  Can McDermott win a game like this, for once?!?

I don't think it is as simple as Simms makes it out to be.  There have been some times when Buffalo stopped the run pretty effectively: versus Tennessee and Derek Henry and the second half against the Jets in last Sunday's game.  There have also been games in which the Patriots didn't run all that effectively.  I do agree that those are the two biggest questions Buffalo will have to answer on Sunday.  I am concerned about the interior of Buffalo's offensive line with Cody Ford out.  I'm hoping Feliciano will be ready to play and plays pretty well.  The other guard is Brian Winter, who has not exactly been lights out this season, or Boettger, who has not yet shown he's anything but a backup.

In defense, it does seem as if the way to go is to man up on the WRs and stack the box.  It will also help a lot if Buffalo could jump out to a 2 or 3 TD lead.  That would force New England to move away from a steady diet of running the ball.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Simm's makes a good point BUT when the Bills throw caution to the wind (and this Sunday that might be literal) and ignore the passing game they can shut down the run.  The fact that Cam is struggling and the water boy may be playing WR suggests the Bills will redefine crowding the box and be able to shut down the Pat's running game without fear of getting burned over the top.

That's my thinking.   White and Wallace (if activated) would also be a less combustible coverage than Norman on AJ Brown - which was a "plan where you lose your hat". 

And "Any Plan where you Lose your Hat is a Bad Plan (tm)"

The other thing, though is we can't lose contain on Newton and we have to be able to get some pressure with 4.  We couldn't against Tannehill or Mahomes but I don't think the Pats OL is nearly as sound or as physical as Tenn or KC.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

And like in a bad relationship, that is the narrative we don't want to believe. We're all hoping that the nice time we had with the Jets in the 2nd half is the new norm, not all the dysfunctional things before that.

"Hope is the cruelest of virtues" (Harlem Coben).

And some of us always want to believe the norm is whatever is the worst version of the team. They have stopped the run some weeks, been awful other weeks. They've also been plagued by an absurd rash of injuries, but have a lot of talent. I'm not sure which defense or running game we'll see this week. I'm not sure what this team is this year. That seems like the rational reaction, not that they are clearly terrible and cannot beat any good teams.

Also, for all we seem to wish to rag on this team, they are still 5-2 with their only losses to teams that played in Conference Championship games, and wins against three teams that are .500 or better. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I don't think it is as simple as Simms makes it out to be.  There have been some times when Buffalo stopped the run pretty effectively: versus Tennessee and Derek Henry and the second half against the Jets in last Sunday's game.  There have also been games in which the Patriots didn't run all that effectively.  I do agree that those are the two biggest questions Buffalo will have to answer on Sunday.  I am concerned about the interior of Buffalo's offensive line with Cody Ford out.  I'm hoping Feliciano will be ready to play and plays pretty well.  The other guard is Brian Winter, who has not exactly been lights out this season, or Boettger, who has not yet shown he's anything but a backup turnstile.

In defense, it does seem as if the way to go is to man up on the WRs and stack the box.  It will also help a lot if Buffalo could jump out to a 2 or 3 TD lead.  That would force New England to move away from a steady diet of running the ball.

FIFY.  Good assessment.  Agree, the interior of our OL is something Belicheck will be looking to exploit.  In addition to Boettger, Winters has not been good.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Simms has a valid point an I don't take a ton away from the Jets game.

For the first time in over 2 decades, ALL of the pressure to me is on the Buffalo Bills.

All of this off-season we have expected and hoped that the Bills would become the top dogs in the division. No Brady. COVID opt outs for the Pats. Everything is pointing our way.

This coaching staff has yet to beat New England in a meaningful game.This is the time to do so.

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I think the Bills running issues are a little overblown.  Henry was held in check.  Jacobs was held in check.  2 games hurt LAR and KC.  Vs LAR the offense got going and their playaction had the defense guessing.  KC was a strategic ploy to not commit extra guys in the box, stop Mahomes.  I do not see a 1 dimensional offense giving a Mcdermott defense problems.  I think Chris is over simplifing the matchup.  Can Buffalo commit more to stopping the run without worrying about getting burned outside? Yes.  Against a favorable matchup and favorable looks could Buffalo have success running? Yes.  

Against NE Buffalo can and should play man on early downs.  Third and longs they have 0 shot.  Allen would need to have his worst game of the season for this to be a close game.  I think NE play more man than we faced in the past few weeks.  Buffalo gets some big plays early.  These are the type of games Diggs was brought in for.  I think Buffalo wins big 27-9

Henry was kept in check because the Titans didn't need their best player to win the game

24 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

We should be playing press man all day. Stack the box and dare Cam to throw deep.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Henry was kept in check because the Titans didn't need their best player to win the game

The whole game was setup for a heavy run attack.  They played from the lead the whole time. The top rusher was held to 3 yards a carry on 15 carries.   The run defense is over blown.  

If the Bills lose to the Patriots Sunday I would be beyond shocked! First Cam can’t throw for crap anymore and even if he remembers Sunday he is without Edelman (knee surgery on IR) and Harry (Concussion) on D Gilmore is out with a tweet to his Hammy..  add in the Pats are just not that good this year and well if Buffalo losses Sunday I expect the Phins win the division.

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

I think Simms has a valid point an I don't take a ton away from the Jets game.

For the first time in over 2 decades, ALL of the pressure to me is on the Buffalo Bills.

All of this off-season we have expected and hoped that the Bills would become the top dogs in the division. No Brady. COVID opt outs for the Pats. Everything is pointing our way.

This coaching staff has yet to beat New England in a meaningful game.This is the time to do so.

This coaching staff has yet to beat New England in any game!