Chris Simms: The Bills are a perfect matchup for the Pats right now. Can't run, can't stop the run.

Thurman#1

Sims is right. If the weather is bad run success is especially vital and the Bills have looked shaky. The other key will be turnovers. I hope the Bills look after the ball. The pats O is struggling though. Cams shoulder being shot makes them one dimensional. His problem is that in trying to fix that narrative he has to throw...

In the first four games, the WRs caught everything that was thrown to them.  In the last three games, the drops are on the rise.  Correct that and things will look much brighter this weekend.

20 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Of course the Pats are always favored.  No mention of how half our team and coaches played and coached Cam and right now he is their only offense and he isn't doing well either....

Actually the Bills are favored and the line has been increasing.

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The Pats - Bills content starts around 42:00.

Some excerpts:

Burmeister: What's going on with Cam Newton?

Simms: Well, he's off. No doubt about that.

Simms argues that the Pats last week were a terrible matchup against the Niners, as the Niners are "a run-first-centric team" and Shanahan's the run genius of football. And the Patriots on defense are built to stop passing offenses. He argues Belichick tries to scare you out of runs by packing the box, but then backs away, and some of the eight guys in the box are littler guys than are usually up there and wouldn't be especially effective against the run.

Simms: "What you've got to do is go, ' Oh, OK, we're outnumbered in the box, so what, that guy's 195 pounds, that guy's 205 pounds, our right guard can block both of them with his right arm.' " And Shanahan stuck with the run.

Asked what he thought were the Pats biggest offensive problems he said offensive line injuries and post-COVID Cam hasn't been the same after missing three weeks of football. They both thought his motion is off right now. But what made me a bit worried is something Simms said about that.

Simms:  "[Newton] gets into this almost once a year his whole career. ... where his front shoulder gets way high in the air."

Goes on to say (quite a bit later) that Newton has had this problem many times before for a week or two or three and then either he or a coach figures it out and corrects it and he starts playing better again.

... and ...

Simms: "And now they've got Buffalo this week, and that's the perfect team for them. Again, matchups. ... The Bills can't stop the run and they can't run the ball, so they have to throw it every play. Perfect for New England. So don't be shocked if New England upset Buffalo this week."

And later, his preview of the game:

He and Florio both pick the Pats, saying the Bills strength is passing and the Pats strength is stopping the pass, and that on offense the Pats strength is running while the Bills weakness is stopping the run.

Makes some sense.

If they're right, we'd better do a good job in the run game on both sides of the ball. Hopefully Feliciano's return will make a real difference.

Whattya think?

I've got a lot of respect for Chris Simms as an astute analyst.  It's entirely true that based on past average performance, it's a matchup that favors the Pats, and add in bad weather that will hinder passing and the matchup looks worse.  Which is why I'm not "buying in" to puff this game up into some kind of seasonal significance.

I think it's not quite true that the Bills can't stop the run.  What was the discussion in the Lee thread?  That 1-2 games can skew an analysis? 

We have 3 games where we held the opponent to <100 yds.   We did a creditable job of limiting Josh Jacobs (48 yds) and Derrick Henry (57 yds).  What we did with Tennessee was say "beat us passing if you can" and Tannhill said "OK".  We also failed to contain him and he hurt us with his feet either extending plays or rushing (Tannehill had 1/3 of their rush yards!!!!).  So if the Bills game-plan to stop the run and contain Newton, I think they can do it; then the key factor will be, can he fix his passing?  I don't think it's just his shoulder, I think it's the speed and quality of his decision making.

Health is also a factor: White, Milano, a 2nd CB.  Moss plus Singletary.  The OL.

I'm less sanguine about the Bills rush game, unless it's Allen.  The bubble screens we ran against the Jets were very effective.  Both Tenn. and KC also have ferocious and very high quality DL - can the same be said of the Pats right now? 

But I'm glad he said it...I think him saying the Bills had no one on their front 7 who was worth anything after the KC game may have been good motivational material, so to speak, so perhaps saying we can't run and can't stop the run will likewise have a good motivational effect. 

I had high hopes for Feliciano but it was pointed out that he may be on a snap count or inactive as he works back into 1st team reps.

I'm curious if Simms made any note of all the injuries the Bills have been dealing with

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, wjag said:

In the first four games, the WRs caught everything that was thrown to them.  In the last three games, the drops are on the rise.  Correct that and things will look much brighter this weekend.

Sadly, the rain and 35mph gusts are going to squash any good passing day.   The club that runs better and stops the run will win.

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

Getting cause and effect mixed.  The drops are up because Allen has been under a lot more pressure and when he hurries his throws they're a little bit less accurate and have less touch - harder to catch.

Fix the protection and the passing will improve.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Sadly, the rain and 35mph gusts are going to squash any good passing day.   The club that runs better and stops the run will win.

One hopes Daboll has taken a lesson from the Eagles game last year where he basically asked Allen to win it with his arm in crap weather because that was the matchup that made sense on paper.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One hopes Daboll has taken a lesson from the Eagles game last year where he basically asked Allen to win it with his arm in crap weather because that was the matchup that made sense on paper.

If we have to run to win we are in trouble IMO. Do not trust our running game at all. Don't trust the blockers and don't trust the runners.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Getting cause and effect mixed.  The drops are up because Allen has been under a lot more pressure and when he hurries his throws they're a little bit less accurate and have less touch - harder to catch.

Fix the protection and the passing will improve.

I disagree.  I watched them drop them right in their hands, off their face masks, etc.  I remember that catch Beasley made at the goal line that flipped him upside down. Part of it is forcing the ball into double coverage on Diggs without Brown being on the field.  But even Diggs has dropped a few he should have caught.

2 minutes ago, wjag said:

I disagree.  I watched them drop them right in their hands, off their face masks, etc.  I remember that catch Beasley made at the goal line that flipped him upside down. Part of it is forcing the ball into double coverage on Diggs without Brown being on the field.  But even Diggs has dropped a few he should have caught.

The point is, you can see a ball hit the WR in the hands, but if he had to adjust his hands to get there and it has a lot of juice on it, it's a more difficult catch.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point is, you can see a ball hit the WR in the hands, but if he had to adjust his hands to get there and it has a lot of juice on it, it's a more difficult catch.

But..but.. but... that's exactly what they are paid to do.  Not every ball is perfectly thrown.   If it's within their arm span, they are expected to catch it.  That is what they did in weeks 1-4.  Not as much lately.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If we have to run to win we are in trouble IMO. Do not trust our running game at all. Don't trust the blockers and don't trust the runners.

Well we best figure it out then because this was a good recipe for a lost in 25 mph gusty and wet conditions last year.  Eagles rush 63% of snaps, Bills rush 37%

image.png.63762a0357af22c818181602cddc18ba.png

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well we best figure it out then because this was a good recipe for a lost in 25 mph gusty and wet conditions last year.  Eagles rush 63% of snaps, Bills rush 37%

I was in town and at that game.  It was horrendous.  I also had the misfortune of sitting in a section that was 75% Eagles fans.  The game was brutal to watch and their fans were very vocal.  It was sort of fun for say a quarter and a half.  But as the game started to get away and the Eagles were running wild, it was tough to sit there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am just hoping we have developed a more well rounded passing game that we can execute since then. I don't think we have the backs to run it 40 times for 200 yards, not behind this line especially. They had Miles Sanders who burned us on a couple of big ones that day and we don't anyone who can do that.

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:
“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all

- Emily Dickinson 

Hope is a snowmobile, speeding across a frozen tundra.

Suddenly it flips over pinning you underneath.

At night the ice weasels come.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Haha (+1) 2