Chris Simms: The Bills are a perfect matchup for the Pats right now. Can't run, can't stop the run.

Thurman#1

The Pats - Bills content starts around 42:00.

Some excerpts:

Burmeister: What's going on with Cam Newton?

Simms: Well, he's off. No doubt about that.

Simms argues that the Pats last week were a terrible matchup against the Niners, as the Niners are "a run-first-centric team" and Shanahan's the run genius of football. And the Patriots on defense are built to stop passing offenses. He argues Belichick tries to scare you out of runs by packing the box, but then backs away, and some of the eight guys in the box are littler guys than are usually up there and wouldn't be especially effective against the run.

Simms: "What you've got to do is go, ' Oh, OK, we're outnumbered in the box, so what, that guy's 195 pounds, that guy's 205 pounds, our right guard can block both of them with his right arm.' " And Shanahan stuck with the run.

Asked what he thought were the Pats biggest offensive problems he said offensive line injuries and post-COVID Cam hasn't been the same after missing three weeks of football. They both thought his motion is off right now. But what made me a bit worried is something Simms said about that.

Simms:  "[Newton] gets into this almost once a year his whole career. ... where his front shoulder gets way high in the air."

Goes on to say (quite a bit later) that Newton has had this problem many times before for a week or two or three and then either he or a coach figures it out and corrects it and he starts playing better again.

... and ...

Simms: "And now they've got Buffalo this week, and that's the perfect team for them. Again, matchups. ... The Bills can't stop the run and they can't run the ball, so they have to throw it every play. Perfect for New England. So don't be shocked if New England upset Buffalo this week."

And later, his preview of the game:

He and Florio both pick the Pats, saying the Bills strength is passing and the Pats strength is stopping the pass, and that on offense the Pats strength is running while the Bills weakness is stopping the run.

Makes some sense.

If they're right, we'd better do a good job in the run game on both sides of the ball. Hopefully Feliciano's return will make a real difference.

Whattya think?

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

And like in a bad relationship, that is the narrative we don't want to believe. We're all hoping that the nice time we had with the Jets in the 2nd half is the new norm, not all the dysfunctional things before that.

"Hope is the cruelest of virtues" (Harlem Coben).

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Definitely worried about them running on us. As for us passing on their D.... I think we will be able to move the ball through the air. I am not too concerned. It will be another stay patient, take the underneath stuff, use Beasley game. 

Agree 100%.  I have really been impressed with how Josh has become a much more patient QB and is willing to take what the defense gives him.  I have watched him do this successfully several times, although we don't have the TD's to show for it. But alot of that is due to drops, penalties, missed FG's, AND not having Brown out there was HUGE.  With him back in the lineup and at 100%(or close to it), I expect to see the Josh Allen and Bills passing offense of week's 1-4.  

But you hit the nail on the head, I too am nervous about stopping their running game.  I would love to believe that the D we saw in the 2nd half of the Jets game finally turned the corner, but part of me is still bothered by seeing an 83 year old Frank Gore look like he was 25 again.  

Regardless, this game, IMO, will be the first of many W's against the Pats for hopefully the next decade or two.  We owe em...bigtime.  Bills take care of business in Orchard Park on Sunday.

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Like (+1) 3

I think the Bills running issues are a little overblown.  Henry was held in check.  Jacobs was held in check.  2 games hurt LAR and KC.  Vs LAR the offense got going and their playaction had the defense guessing.  KC was a strategic ploy to not commit extra guys in the box, stop Mahomes.  I do not see a 1 dimensional offense giving a Mcdermott defense problems.  I think Chris is over simplifing the matchup.  Can Buffalo commit more to stopping the run without worrying about getting burned outside? Yes.  Against a favorable matchup and favorable looks could Buffalo have success running? Yes.  

Against NE Buffalo can and should play man on early downs.  Third and longs they have 0 shot.  Allen would need to have his worst game of the season for this to be a close game.  I think NE play more man than we faced in the past few weeks.  Buffalo gets some big plays early.  These are the type of games Diggs was brought in for.  I think Buffalo wins big 27-9

• Like (+1) 9

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

And like in a bad relationship, that is the narrative we don't want to believe. We're all hoping that the nice time we had with the Jets in the 2nd half is the new norm, not all the dysfunctional things before that.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all

- Emily Dickinson 
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think the Bills running issues are a little overblown.  Henry was held in check.  Jacobs was held in check.  2 games hurt LAR and KC.  Vs LAR the offense got going and their playaction had the defense guessing.  KC was a strategic ploy to not commit extra guys in the box, stop Mahomes.  I do not see a 1 dimensional offense giving a Mcdermott defense problems.  I think Chris is over simplifing the matchup.  Can Buffalo commit more to stopping the run without worrying about getting burned outside? Yes.  Against a favorable matchup and favorable looks could Buffalo have success running? Yes.  

Against NE Buffalo can and should play man on early downs.  Third and longs they have 0 shot.  Allen would need to have his worst game of the season for this to be a close game.  I think NE play more man than we faced in the past few weeks.  Buffalo gets some big plays early.  These are the type of games Diggs was brought in for.  I think Buffalo wins big 27-9

It is definitely true that the Bills can load the box more because the Pats have zilch outside. Harry hasn't practiced this week and Edelman is out for a few weeks.... that is their #1 and #2 on an already talentless receiving corps. If we can't cover Jakobi Myers and Damiere Byrd 1v1 we are in more trouble that we thought. That said the Pats will run with a lot of misdirection and teams have got the Bills buying on that this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

meg_griffin_family_hope_is_what_gets_you_out_of_bed_in_lv90jgl.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I actually dont think our main weakness is stopping the run. When we gameplan to stop it we do. We held Derrick Henry to 57 yards, 3 YPA which is his lowest of the season. The Chiefs ran all over us but 1) their the Chiefs and 2) McD literally said that was the plan.

I think our biggest weakness is QB contain and the secondary which impacts the run game.

• Like (+1) 1