More evidence of Bills being a player friendly organization

I'm excited to see Feliciano back and hope he will be the much needed spark to get the running game rolling again.  There are several articles in the local media right now about him getting back to playing and there was a quote from Feliciano that stood out to me that I think paints the Bills' organization in a very good light.

"I think it's a credit to the coaches and training staff. They didn't rush me back. I was trying to get activated weeks before they did activate me," Feliciano said. "Thankfully they didn't listen to me and kept me safe."

These are the things that induce a free agent to sign with a team.  It's a small League and the word gets out. When McDermott preaches a family atmosphere in Buffalo and to come to Buffalo to become the best version of yourself, this statement from Feliciano shows that it's not all just coach speak, but something that the organization really believes in.  I read that Feliciano was really lobbying to get back on the field for the Raiders game but the Bills wouldn't let him.  

Contrast this situation with the train wreck that is the Jets.  Look at how they handled the Kelechi Osemele shoulder injury situation last year.  Then how the organization handled the Bell, Darnold, and Becton injuries this year.  Night and day difference from how the Bills took care of Feliciano. 

It would be easy to make the argument that the Bills had depth on the O-Line and that gave them the luxury of letting Feliciano come along slowly, but I don't believe that was the reason at all.  I think the Bills were just looking out for Feliciano because they have good people running this program and they simply were not going to put Feliciano back out there until he was ready.  I'm glad that Feliciano recognizes that, and so will everyone else in the locker room.  Just one more indication that we have the right people steering the ship in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Staff knows darn well that with over half a season still to be played. they need their guys truly healthy and motivated, that and they do seem to be decent people who care about each other.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Which is what makes the Spain mystery so damn confusing.

Spain had good words for the organization when he left.  I think the Bills let him go so he could find a place to be a starter.  I'm sure Beane looked for a trade partner but didn't have any luck so they let him go.  It was probably what Spain requested.  (My guess)  I think I saw that the Bengals are going to sign him.   He is a starting quality O-lineman in this League, maybe just not good enough to get on the field with our O-Line depth.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm excited to see Feliciano back and hope he will be the much needed spark to get the running game rolling again.  There are several articles in the local media right now about him getting back to playing and there was a quote from Feliciano that stood out to me that I think paints the Bills' organization in a very good light.

"I think it's a credit to the coaches and training staff. They didn't rush me back. I was trying to get activated weeks before they did activate me," Feliciano said. "Thankfully they didn't listen to me and kept me safe."

These are the things that induce a free agent to sign with a team.  It's a small League and the word gets out. When McDermott preaches a family atmosphere in Buffalo and to come to Buffalo to become the best version of yourself, this statement from Feliciano shows that it's not all just coach speak, but something that the organization really believes in.  I read that Feliciano was really lobbying to get back on the field for the Raiders game but the Bills wouldn't let him.  

Contrast this situation with the train wreck that is the Jets.  Look at how they handled the Kelechi Osemele shoulder injury situation last year.  Then how the organization handled the Bell, Darnold, and Becton injuries this year.  Night and day difference from how the Bills took care of Feliciano. 

It would be easy to make the argument that the Bills had depth on the O-Line and that gave them the luxury of letting Feliciano come along slowly, but I don't believe that was the reason at all.  I think the Bills were just looking out for Feliciano because they have good people running this program and they simply were not going to put Feliciano back out there until he was ready.  I'm glad that Feliciano recognizes that, and so will everyone else in the locker room.  Just one more indication that we have the right people steering the ship in Buffalo.

According to at least one guy players don't care about these things.  They would rather play for big market clubs.

The Bills are doing this consistently.  They released Shady so he could sign with KC and get a ring, instead of trading him for an insulting 7th rounder.  They recognized that Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson had earned a raise and could get more money somewhere else, so they applauded them on their way out.  There are other former Bills playing and starting around the league, who couldn't earn a spot on this team, and I never hear of any of them having anything bad to say about this organization.

4 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The Bills are doing this consistently.  They released Shady so he could sign with KC and get a ring, instead of trading him for an insulting 7th rounder.  They recognized that Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson had earned a raise and could get more money somewhere else, so they applauded them on their way out.  There are other former Bills playing and starting around the league, who couldn't earn a spot on this team, and I never hear of any of them having anything bad to say about this organization.

Lol if they could have traded Shady they would have... No one would pay draft picks for an over the hill RB. 

They didn't recognize anything... They know they cannot afford guys that would get overpaid.

Please don't robinhood a business... They are not doing things for charity, they do it b.c that is the only choice they have.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Lol if they could have traded Shady they would have... No one would pay draft picks for an over the hill RB. 

They didn't recognize anything... They know they cannot afford guys that would get overpaid.

Please don't robinhood a business... They are not doing things for charity, they do it b.c that is the only choice they have.

I'd respectfully disagree TBBills.  The entire Bills locker room knows exactly what happened with Spain and Jordan Phillips, and Shaq.  If the Bills had screwed any of them over it would damage the family vibe that Beane and McDermott are trying to build at OBD.  Being upfront and honest with your employees isn't charity, it's how a successful organization treats its people.  I suspect that in McDermott and Beane's minds, that culture of the coaches, management, and the players all being on the same team is worth more to them than an extra 7th round draft pick.  

Ask Adrian Peterson about how he was treated by the Redskins when they cut him on September 4th, just six days before the season opener.  No warning, no heads up, nothing.  That kind of personnel move tells the other guys in the locker room what kind of organization they play for. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'd respectfully disagree TBBills.  The entire Bills locker room knows exactly what happened with Spain and Jordan Phillips, and Shaq.  If the Bills had screwed any of them over it would damage the family vibe that Beane and McDermott are trying to build at OBD.  Being upfront and honest with your employees isn't charity, it's how a successful organization treats its people.  I suspect that in McDermott and Beane's minds, that culture of the coaches, management, and the players all being on the same team is worth more to them than an extra 7th round draft pick.  

Ask Adrian Peterson about how he was treated by the Redskins when they cut him on September 4th, just six days before the season opener.  No warning, no heads up, nothing.  That kind of personnel move tells the other guys in the locker room what kind of organization they play for. 

It's a business, these guys understand that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

I agree - but some in the business are MUCH more ruthless than others.  The OP is rightly trying to point out that the Bills are not in the ruthless category.  Are the Bills looking out for themselves first??  Well dammit they better.  Are they looking out for the players best interests as best as possible?  On the face of it, it seems so.  Thats the point.....not that the Bills are some bleeding heart liberal team but they at least give you the pretense they care.  Will that make the line of FA's longer?  Shorter?  Who knows whats in a FA's head - they all have different motivating factors.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

That's an overly simplistic analysis. Of course it is a business.  But there are vast differences in how employers treat their employees in business.  That's why there are great places to work lists, and places to avoid. Some places don't give a rat's ass about employees, and it shows.  Others do, and that shows too. They add humanity to the business, and not just the bottom line matters. It's a longer term perspective.  OP is simply saying that the Bills seems to fall in the latter category.  And I agree. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Casey D said:

That's an overly simplistic analysis. Of course it is a business.  But there are vast differences in how employers treat their employees in business.  That's why there are great places to work lists, and places to avoid. Some places don't give a rat's ass about employees, and it shows.  Others do, and that shows too. They add humanity to the business, and not just the bottom line matters. It's a longer term perspective.  OP is simply saying that the Bills seems to fall in the latter category.  And I agree. 

Thats all warm and touching.  But its all about winning.  Whatever that culture may be.  If the Bills can win more with being more "humane" to their players thats great.  But lets see how they perform top to bottom over this next 9 games stretch.  We are supposed to have a real good team.  And we play a real difficult schedule.  Mediocre coaching won't get it done.  

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The locker room...but seemingly nobody else.  That's why I would call this team player respectful, rather than player friendly.  To me, someone like Rex Ryan is player friendly and just seems to be happy to put up with anything.  This organization actually seems to have little patience for someone who doesn't fit...whether it be because of attitude, work ethic, being in shape, or even just scheme.  We saw that early with players like Sammy Watkins and Dareus, and recently with Spain.  They WILL cut guys loose if they don't think they are helping the team.  However, what they won't do is talk about that player to the media or other teams.  We can guess from what we saw on the field that Spain was not in shape and was playing poorly...but we don't hear the team say that (unlike Poe in Dallas).  Adam Gase is always talking crap about his players either openly or in very loud leaks to the media.  There's none of that here.  I think players like the respect...but also the demand for accountability.