Do you remember the only NFL game without TV announcers?

LB48

24 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

It would be interesting if they turned the on field mics up or added more especially since there is no crowd noise. But then again every other second would need to be bleeped out due to swearing.

If you watch any of the NFL Films hilights from this season (Like "Inside the NFL" or "Turning Point") it sounds weird, how silent everything is, on the field.

Different sport, I know, but Boston Bruins goaltender Tuuka Rask opted out of the bubble, in the middle " Of course, it didn't go over well with fans (and likely the team) but he said it was just extra hard to get the juices flowing for games without crowds.

Also, saw a little interview with Erin Andrews after doing a Bucs game earlier in this season. She said (paraphrasing) "I knew the guys swore a lot, but until you are down there on the field, in a game without fans, you just have no idea how much swearing they really do.  If people only knew how many F bombs Tom Brady drops, they would be shocked..."

• Like (+1) 1

Do remember the game, recalled it was the Jets, but didn't remember who they played until read it here.

Was reading an article the other day about Fox winning the broadcast rights in 1992 to the NFC games.   Something I had forgotten about until Reading the article, prior to that the score of the game wasn't on the screen all the time, usually only at commercial breaks and once i na great while during a long drive. 

Will say watching the KC game on Fox last week, I do like how they show the QB's stats all the time too and maybe the stats for the RB or WR who made the last paly

11 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

The next gimmick they should try is flames trailing the ball whenever Josh throws it a la the glowing puck Fox trotted out for their NHL games some years ago. 

"I think you're onto something there, fella!"

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/...

Dwayne Johnson - Wikipedia

I remember. I now watch most games with sound off. I don't need announcers telling what just happened and then just using cliches the entire game. Gumbel asked Gannon last game what the Bills were doing differently to stop the Jets in 2nd half...his answer was the Jets are struggling on 1st down

12 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

It would be interesting if they turned the on field mics up or added more especially since there is no crowd noise. But then again every other second would need to be bleeped out due to swearing.

***king right boys!!!!

Let's ***king go!!!!

14 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

It was weird.

Yep.  I remember watching it.

13 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

What’s good, gents? What’s good?

The next gimmick they should try is flames trailing the ball whenever Josh throws it a la the glowing puck Fox trotted out for their NHL games some years ago

Worst idea ever.

9 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Yeah, but only for Josh!

Not to mention, that Cosell as a boxing commentator, was unmatched.

He was the BEST boxing commentator.  Even in a miss matched fight he could make it relevant with his points of view!

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/29/2020 at 9:28 PM, LB48 said:

The announcer less game was an American football contest played on December 20, 1980, between the New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League. As an experiment, the NBC television network broadcast it without assigning any commentators to cover it.

The Jets won 24-17 in an upset over the Dolphins!  I don't like many of the NFL announcers today with scripted comments and analysis BUT this game was ultra boring!!

It was notably worse than most games but surprisingly better than games where the commentator was Todd Christianson or Chris Collinsworth

19 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

This was largely a reaction to the consensus that “the mouth” Cosell was way over the top. Fast forward 40 years people are watching old YouTube MNF videos to understand how great Howard was. 

Don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone...

On 10/29/2020 at 9:28 PM, LB48 said:

The announcer less game was an American football contest played on December 20, 1980, between the New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League. As an experiment, the NBC television network broadcast it without assigning any commentators to cover it.

The Jets won 24-17 in an upset over the Dolphins!  I don't like many of the NFL announcers today with scripted comments and analysis BUT this game was ultra boring!!

I remember it.  I really liked it.  Or rather I preferred it to an announced game.   I’d rather hear the field noises during the play but that’s not going to happen.  Now I usually opt for condensed games or All 22 unless it’s a live game I really care about.  Condensed games cut out most of the announcer drivel and All 22 has no sound.