Hot Take - Don’t pay Qbs

C.Biscuit97

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

One more thing.  Did you know that Peyton manning chose to stay in school an additional year because he didn't want to get drafted by the Jets.  That's the biggest market there is.

Seems to be a problem with New York's "other" teams. Not that I feel bad for the JETS.

6 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Seems to be a problem with New York's "other" teams. Not that I feel bad for the JETS.

Americans aren't as impressed with big lights and fancy cities.  A lot of us despise them.  If you really want to know what ridiculous taxes look like, live in NYC for a while.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You shouldn’t overpay Qbs.  Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but look at the league now.  Lamar won a MVP in his 2nd season.  So did Mahomes. Joe Burrow, a good but not generational prospect, is on pass for 4,600 yards as a rookie!  Justin Herbert, who no one thought was close to an elite prospect, is at pace that if he started 16 games, he would throw for 5,000 yards.

fact is Qbs are completely overpaid and qb’s 2nd contracts kill your ability to build a roster.  It has never been easier to pay qb in the NFL and college guys translate easier than ever.  Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule (Seattle kinda sucks minus Wilson but he carries the team; Mahomes; Brady; Rodgers) but too many replaceable guys get paid too much.  Also if teams stopped handing out monster to Deals to average talents like Goff and Tannehill (during Miami), it would bring the salaries down.  

And for the record, I’m totally down with every player getting every cent they can.  But these contracts murder franchises.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Here's a listing of QBs ranked by average salary. Who of the top ten is overpaid?

You shouldn't overpay them. But overpaying is all but impossible these days. A great QB really is worth what you pay him. The trick is to not give a high salary to a QB who won't play very very well. Guys like Carr put you in a spot because sometimes he seems worth it and other times not. The Goff and Wentz deals had looked questionable. Now they look good, though Philly has other problems.

People blame teams that backtrack on QB salaries, but mostly it's just bad roster building.

Yes, it's harder to have success when you're paying your QB a lot. Know what's tougher? Having success while your QB sucks. If you get a guy, you have to pay him.

Who are the best teams in the league? The Steelers, Chiefs, Packers and Seahawks? Who after that? The Titans, Bucs, Saints, Ravens, Bills, and Rams, maybe?

Yeah, a few teams there have guys on rookie contracts, but most are paying QBs very big or huge money, and the ones who have young QBs look like they will pay those guys when it's time.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Americans aren't as impressed with big lights and fancy cities.  A lot of us despise them.  If you really want to know what ridiculous taxes look like, live in NYC for a while.

Yeah, taxes are higher. More opportunity too, though.

Fair enough that people who don't live in big cities aren't necessarily all that impressed by them. The ones that are impressed tend to move there, and that's why the population in our biggest cities and cities all over the world is rising. If you don't like cities, you'll tend to end up elsewhere still not liking cities, So yeah, people who don't live in them don't like them. It's like saying people who regularly visit bakeries and buy cakes aren't as much into ice cream as those who frequent Baskin-Robbins. True, but it doesn't show much.

Unless you can get the whole league to agree the market will dictate that franchise QBs (ie the non elite but you can win with them guys) get paid. 

You either say stop the world I want to get off and become the Buffalo Bills of the 00s and early 10s or you pay good Quarterbacks. 

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, taxes are higher. More opportunity too, though.

Fair enough that people who don't live in big cities aren't necessarily all that impressed by them. The ones that are impressed tend to move there, and that's why the population in our biggest cities and cities all over the world is rising. If you don't like cities, you'll tend to end up elsewhere still not liking cities, So yeah, people who don't live in them don't like them. It's like saying people who regularly visit bakeries and buy cakes aren't as much into ice cream as those who frequent Baskin-Robbins. True, but it doesn't show much.

It is the same everywhere. I love cities I live in one of the biggest and best cities in the world. My sister exact same upbringing hates cities and would rather live in what I consider completely mundane suburbia. Honestly if I lived there I'd have mental health issues within a month it would drive me bat ***** crazy. Conversely she went to Manchester for university and lasted two months it was too big and overwhelming for her. Different strokes for different folks. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is the same everywhere. I love cities I live in one of the biggest and best cities in the world. My sister exact same upbringing hates cities and would rather live in what I consider completely mundane suburbia. Honestly if I lived there I'd have mental health issues within a month it would drive me bat ***** crazy. Conversely she went to Manchester for university and lasted two months it was too big and overwhelming for her. Different strokes for different folks. 

You're a Londoner, Bill? Great city. I've visited twice.

My favorite time there was when I visited at around age 15 and punk and post-punk were big there and you couldn't see a lot of good live music in Albany, NY as a 15 year-old. I saw Squeeze and Wreckless Eric live, The Damned, and a few others. Came home with about 50 vinyl albums of new bands I hadn't heard of before. Walked past Roger Bannister's house, which was huge for me.

Loved London.

Spent 20 years in Tokyo, which I absolutely loved as well. Now I'm in a smaller Japanese city.

Edited by Thurman#1

38 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're a Londoner, Bill? Great city. I've visited twice.

My favorite time there was when I visited at around age 15 and punk and post-punk were big there and you couldn't see a lot of good live music in Albany, NY as a 15 year-old. I saw Squeeze and Wreckless Eric live, The Damned, and a few others. Came home with about 50 vinyl albums of new bands I hadn't heard of before. Walked past Roger Bannister's house, which was huge for me.

Loved London.

Spent 20 years in Tokyo, which I absolutely loved as well. Now I'm in a smaller Japanese city.

I am not a born and bred Londoner but I have been here since 06. I won't leave until I am clapped out and retired when maybe I will fancy the quieter life. I grew up in a clapped out former industrial town in the north and I remember being in the car as an 8 or 9 year old with my mum and telling her I was not going to live there when I grew up and I was going to London. I actually had this conversation with work friends on a zoom last night because we were talking about whether we would be able to see family over Christmas and they refer to going back to see family as "going home" whereas I refer to London as home... I've never made a conscious decision to do that it is entirely subconscious.

16 hours ago, unbillievable said:

How many teams have regretted letting a QB go to free agency? (this millennium)

Drew Brees to Saints

Kurt Warner to Cardinals

Ryan Tannehil?

Washington has not exactly thrived since letting Cousins go.  They have had horrific QB play ever since...

You mean a professional NFL player that makes something like (lets say) $5 million or so per game is to much money Well I never 🙄.

If you include the practice time during the week it brings them down to like only say $2500 a hr seems reasonable to me ...

Edited by T master

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Unless you can get the whole league to agree the market will dictate that franchise QBs (ie the non elite but you can win with them guys) get paid. 

You either say stop the world I want to get off and become the Buffalo Bills of the 00s and early 10s or you pay good Quarterbacks. 

Same with me. Born and bred in Buffalo, but have lived in Brooklyn for 22 years and 8 years in the Hollywood/Beverly-Fairfax area of LA before that. Different strokes for different folks. I will never leave NYC.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Same with me. Born and bred in Buffalo, but have lived in Brooklyn for 22 years and 8 years in the Hollywood/Beverly-Fairfax area of LA before that. Different strokes for different folks. I will never leave NYC.

I love New York, great city. LA I was a bit more take or leave.

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You shouldn’t overpay Qbs.  Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but look at the league now.  Lamar won a MVP in his 2nd season.  So did Mahomes. Joe Burrow, a good but not generational prospect, is on pass for 4,600 yards as a rookie!  Justin Herbert, who no one thought was close to an elite prospect, is at pace that if he started 16 games, he would throw for 5,000 yards.

fact is Qbs are completely overpaid and qb’s 2nd contracts kill your ability to build a roster.  It has never been easier to pay qb in the NFL and college guys translate easier than ever.  Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule (Seattle kinda sucks minus Wilson but he carries the team; Mahomes; Brady; Rodgers) but too many replaceable guys get paid too much.  Also if teams stopped handing out monster to Deals to average talents like Goff and Tannehill (during Miami), it would bring the salaries down.  

And for the record, I’m totally down with every player getting every cent they can.  But these contracts murder franchises.  

This was an excellent premise for a thread CB. I don't think that I am in 100% agreement mind you, but I do see your point and it is valid imo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

You do pay for an elite QB.

You don't pay for an average QB.

You don't pay too early for a QB - wait to they prove they are elite.

The issue is not the over paying.  GMs are generally smart enough not to pay bad QBs (yes some do ).  The issue is acquiring the right QB, getting him in the right system and surrounding him with talent the compliments his skill.  This is where the GMs fail.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Washington has not exactly thrived since letting Cousins go.  They have had horrific QB play ever since...

You are obviously correct, but; they are (imo) in a better position now than they would have been with Cousins. Not a better team mind you but now they appear to have some good players on defense, and will certainly be in a position to draft early and get a QB.

Cousins might have been just good enough to keep them out of the loop in terms of drafting a top rated QB.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not a born and bred Londoner but I have been here since 06. I won't leave until I am clapped out and retired when maybe I will fancy the quieter life. I grew up in a clapped out former industrial town in the north and I remember being in the car as an 8 or 9 year old with my mum and telling her I was not going to live there when I grew up and I was going to London. I actually had this conversation with work friends on a zoom last night because we were talking about whether we would be able to see family over Christmas and they refer to going back to see family as "going home" whereas I refer to London as home... I've never made a conscious decision to do that it is entirely subconscious.

As a public service to your American friends can you translate "clapped out" from British into regular English?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

LA is a bad place to visit but a very interesting place to live. It has almost everything NY and London has, but it’s harder to find it. It takes living there.

LA is the kind of place where in order to do anything, you must first get in a car.

I hate that.

NYC can be walked.