Minshew: Multiple Fractures, Ligament Damage in Thumb

Gugny

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30217210/sources-jacksonville-jaguars-qb-gardner-minshew-multiple-fractures-sprained-ligament-thumb

X-rays taken this week revealed that Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew II has multiple fractures and a strained ligament in his right thumb, league sources told ESPN.

Minshew has had discomfort in his thumb since Jacksonville's Oct. 11 game at Houston, a source told ESPN. He did not tell the team about the pain until after the last game, which led to a postgame X-ray in Los Angeles.

The Jaguars didn't know about Minshew's injury until this week, per sources.

It is uncertain whether Minshew will be able to play when Jacksonville returns from its bye to host the Texans.

My question:   Was it a dick move for him to keep this to himself for so long?  Or would most/all fringe starters do the same for fear of losing their job to injury?  (Glennon is his backup, so I can't really see that happening)

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

Mike Glennon is still in the league? 

Yes, I still play football. How dare you.........

Male giraffes will use their extremely long tongues to taste the pee of  female giraffes to determine if they're ovulating. | Giraffe, Funny giraffe,  Animals

14 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

im gonna bet every penny i have on the titans if glennon plays

Where's the $15k guy when you need a loan?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

48 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

Mike Glennon is still in the league? 

Yeah...don't you know that any QB that even shows marginal success as a starter will have as long a career as they want as a backup?  I mean look at Chase Daniel...the man has made almost $38 million to throw an average of about 20 passes a year over his 9 year career...

Glennon has made almost $27 million in his 6 years in the league...backup QB is the easiest position to make a ton of money and have a long career to literally never play.

In fact, it might be the only position in the NFL that you may get paid MORE based on potential than on actual ability...IE, you might get a bigger contract when teams THINK you are going to be able to come into a game and play well as a backup versus actually getting in a game as a backup and possibly not living up to their expectations. Being an unknown quantity as a backup QB can actually work in your favor as long as teams THINK you can play without having any proof one way or the other.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

I suffered fractures to my non-dominant thumb in a workplace accident in my early 20's and that was bad enough. I cringe at the thought of gripping a football with that damage.

I can definitely see why some guys would try to tough it out because they're not guaranteed to get that starting spot back. Add in the loyalty to guys you're with every day, it's probably tough feeling like you're letting them down.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I feel for Minshew. He probably feels that if he is replaced then he will never start again. I understand why he didn’t say anything. 

Players like him are in a really interesting situation.

He's right on the cusp of maybe finding himself as a starting QB in the NFL, maybe only being a back-up, and maybe being out of the league entirely.

He signed a 4 year deal with Jacksonville for $2.7 million.

He obviously wants to keep those big pay days coming (even if they are low by NFL standards) because he ain't gonna find anything close to it out in the real world.

The ramifications for things "going well" for him are huge.

Other guys can hop from team to team and K to K and know they are going to 1) have a job and 2) make enormous amounts of money, assuming they avoid injury.  

I don't get why so many teams make the same mistakes over and over again. This is a talent deprived team at 1-6 -- before his injury there's literally no reason to go from Minshew to Mike freaking Glennon.

Why teams pull young starters on terrible teams for the Kyle Allen's and Mike Glennon's of the world is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30217210/sources-jacksonville-jaguars-qb-gardner-minshew-multiple-fractures-sprained-ligament-thumb

X-rays taken this week revealed that Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew II has multiple fractures and a strained ligament in his right thumb, league sources told ESPN.

Minshew has had discomfort in his thumb since Jacksonville's Oct. 11 game at Houston, a source told ESPN. He did not tell the team about the pain until after the last game, which led to a postgame X-ray in Los Angeles.

It is uncertain whether Minshew will be able to play when Jacksonville returns from its bye to host the Texans.

My question:   Was it a dick move for him to keep this to himself for so long?  Or would most/all fringe starters do the same for fear of losing their job to injury?  (Glennon is his backup, so I can't really see that happening)

I think a month into the season, every player is dealing with soreness, and the line between "Uuuugh!" and "Need treatment!" is pretty much a judgement call.  At the best, it was poor judgement, but I'm going to guess that Minshew is far from the only player who fails to disclose and seek treatment for anything they perceive as a nagging injury that doesn't interfere with their ability to play (whether or not their perception matches reality). 

Note that the source pretty much has to claim the team knew nothing about it or they'd be in trouble with the league.  Under Coughlin, the Jaguars had the largest number of grievances filed about how the team handled injuries, so while one would think that a player wouldn't hesitate to disclose an injury and get it diagnosed, perhaps that toxic culture still lingers.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Players like him are in a really interesting situation.

He's right on the cusp of maybe finding himself as a starting QB in the NFL, maybe only being a back-up, and maybe being out of the league entirely.

He signed a 4 year deal with Jacksonville for $2.7 million.

He obviously wants to keep those big pay days coming (even if they are low by NFL standards) because he ain't gonna find anything close to it out in the real world.

The ramifications for things "going well" for him are huge.

Other guys can hop from team to team and K to K and know they are going to 1) have a job and 2) make enormous amounts of money, assuming they avoid injury.  

What makes you think Gardner Minshew can't make big money in the real world?  He may have some pretty cool talents besides football.  He has the iconic look with the shaggy hair and mustache already going.

5 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

What makes you think Gardner Minshew can't make big money in the real world?  He may have some pretty cool talents besides football.  He has the iconic look with the shaggy hair and mustache already going.

You think he has enough personality to turn into a TV sports commentator?

That's the only place he's going to find NFL type money after his playing days are over.

i remember glennon, drafted by the bucks after EJ and Geno.  i also remember playing them that year, losing to them, and realizing glennon was better than both of them, and that he wasn't actually good.

i also remember like a year or two later the brocket launcher got drafted by denver and signed by houston (cuz he won a superbowl for denver when he started a few games, but didn't play in the bowl, and manning was toast).  as much talent as the jets wasted w geno and the bills did w EJ, that houston team had that one star WR, solid running, and a sick sick d, and lost to new england in the playoffs because brocket could not make a single play.

im so happy we don't have a zero at qb anymore.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Tough question!

Hard to answer without being inside an NFL locker room.  Are little aches and nicks and bruises typically never discussed as you don't want to appear soft.  Obviously this is much worse, but maybe he didn't think so at  the time.  While I'm extremely far from a professional athlete, I still recall times when I was a kid even in 20's, jammed a finger, turned an ankle, no big deal, six months later found out the finger/ankle had been actually been broken(ankle was a small crack) Often you think it's just a minor little thing.

While the league tell and requires the players to report every little thing, easy to see that it doesn't often happen.

Don't know what the laws are in Florida, but in New York he'd be in trouble with Workmans Comp for not reporting a work related injury within 24 hours.  I'm sure the NFL is required to abide by those rules as well.