Why this game against the Patriots is NOWHERE NEAR monumental

StHustle

1 hour ago, bmur66 said:

Other than JK I think Brady had more wins against Buffalo than any Buffalo QB had wins. Even without Brady, Buffalo still needs to get over the psychological hump of beating the Patriots

Some guy named Jack Kemp might disagree with that comment.....Or Jim Kelly depending on whom your JK references.....Oh and Joe Ferguson too....

Edited by Kwai San

It's to bad fans can't go the games. If the Bills win I think this would have a 1980 season opener feeling to it when the Bills ended "the streak" against Miami. But this game would represent more of a changing of the guard in the AFC East. Lets face it a win makes them 6-2 and the Pats 2-5. Miami is doing a nice job rebuilding  but they are probably a year or two away. The Jets would have trouble beating a HS football team right now.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, eball said:

This and the “daddy issues” post sound like attempts to preemptively soothe some souls if the Bills lose Sunday.

Make no mistake about it — W/L records don’t matter in this one and it is the biggest game of McD’s coaching tenure.

I said it in an earlier thread, the bills can not afford to lose this game.  It is not a statement game either. 

Very simply it is a game that the Bills need to win after three not great efforts to show they are a serious contender and a good team.

Then they play statement games vs. Seattle & Arizona.... 

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I said it in an earlier thread, the bills can not afford to lose this game.  It is not a statement game either. 

Very simply it is a game that the Bills need to win after three not great efforts to show they are a serious contender and a good team.

Then they play statement games vs. Seattle & Arizona.... 

Arizona is a funny team though. They are like many teams that go up and down from week to week. They beat Seattle in a thriller at home but lose to the Lions at home. They will be a good test for our defense. Offensively we should be able to move the ball on them. As for this week just get to 6-2 and the Bills should win this game as they are the better team.

The rise of the New England Patriots dynasty around 20-25 years ago, coincided very much with the demise of the 90's era Buffalo Bills.  They never took the AFC East when we were at our peak, loaded with Hall of Famers and in the midst of our Super Bowl run.  During those years, the Patriots were a total joke and not even worth mentioning on our schedule.

It wasn't until our key players started getting near retirement, free agency started depleting our roster and they happened to add Bill Parcells/Drew Bledsoe that the Patriots were even a threat to beat us on Sundays.  Even then, their dominance in the division didn't start until Jim Kelly was long retired and we were busy having QB controversies between Doug Flutie and Rob Johnson.

While hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, I highly doubt any of their fans were thinking... "This would be so much more satisfying if we had done it against Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas."  They didn't care.  Just like we didn't care during the 1990s that our dominance over the AFC East wasn't happening over Bob Griese and Larry Csonka.  And we shouldn't really care now about Tom Brady.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Arizona is a funny team though. They are like many teams that go up and down from week to week. They beat Seattle in a thriller at home but lose to the Lions at home. They will be a good test for our defense. Offensively we should be able to move the ball on them. As for this week just get to 6-2 and the Bills should win this game as they are the better team.

Beating Arizona on the road would be a nice victory.  I don't think they are a great team, however the way the schedule falls (and prior to the bye week) it is a litmus test.

Ill be out on the farm making some fresh squeezed process juice today if you need a pick me up. Get the division win. Get a win against the Pats for the first time McDermott. Shake their coaches hand and move on to next week. 6-2 is the goal this week. The division and the playoffs are the goal after that. "Anything is possible" -Kevin Garnett

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You were miserable when Brady left?  This guy beats us miserably for two decades and it would have made you feel better by beating him this year?  So he goes from like 34-2 against us and if we were to beat him 2020....somehow makes up for it?  

I agree wholeheartedly.  It’s over.  The Cheats owned us with Brady.  They pretty much owned everybody (except Eli Manning somehow).  But it’s over.   Time to move on.  The goal is a division win and 6-2 against a team we should beat.  That’s all it is on Sunday. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Have you watched a game Belichick coaches vs a game McDermott coaches? This might be our biggest game since Super Bowl 28. If this Buffalo team can't beat that New England team, they never will and we seriously must consider blowing up the McBeane era if our goal is a championship. That and if we don't win this game, we might not win another all year

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

That era is over.

Wishful thinking till we tamp the dirt down. Agreed it's not monumental, but it's absolutely still very very big.

This is far more than another division game. Far more. And like it or not, saying "when we win" is kidding yourself. It's "if we win."

Put up a couple of wins against the Pats  and then and only then will playing them be just another game.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

Why shouldn't this game be considered bigger than if we were facing any other 2-4 division opponent? BECAUSE BRADY IS GONE!! DUH!!!!

It was a miserable day for me when he officially left the Pats. I sat back shaking my head watching other fans celebrate his departure. Celebrate? Celebrate what? I felt like a loser. I knew it was over. Our chances had dried up. We failed. We let Brady go almost two whole decades owning us. And even when he got into his 40's he still owned us. They swept us countless seasons with him at the helm. I remember thinking last preseason that he would regress a little and maybe we would FINALLY sweep them. Then later thinking how it still would suck because it took for Brady to be 42 for us to finally pull it off. Sweeping him that year wouldn't fix shish. Then the season plays out and what happens? With one last shot at preventing the long ash career sweep shutout,  we allow Brady to land a final KO punch, and HE SWEEPS US!! What an ending. We failed guys. Let's face it, lick our wounds and reset.

Oh, and don't try to make this about Belichick. Beating the Pats with Cam at QB is NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME THING AS BEATING THEM WITH BRADY. To me there's an exponential difference if its not The Pair. Many of you seem to be approaching this game with that exact same frame of mind as years past. That baffles me. That slay the dragon mentality, when in reality, there is no longer a dragon around to slay. Our chances to do that have come and gone. All that's left is a permanent stain on our record that will inevitably be mentioned time and time again in the future, because Brady, being the GOAT,  will be talked about forever. His dominance on his division will be talked about forever. Not as much, BUT, his dominance against one team in particular will be talked about forever. WHY? Because he has the most wins of any QB against one team in NFL history. Just a random notch on Tom Brady's belt. It's universally agreed (which is not an easy feat in the sports world) that Tom is the best QB of all time, and Bill is the best head coach of all time. So our only consolation prize is that we can feel a little less bad about it all since it was the GOATs who handed us the most embarrassing 20 year record between division "rivals" in league history. They weren't some random HC-QB pair who shined for an era. NOPE!  ALL TIME GOATS! Unfortunately they landed in the AFC East and we took the brunt of it. They would have done this same thing to some other team if they landed in a different division as a pair (we'd like to think anyway).

It damn near makes me physically sick typing this post right now. I never expressed my feelings on this matter neither verbally nor through writing. The feeling is terrible but is mitigated by my belief in the not so distant future for this team. So like I said, let's reset and realize this is nothing more than a home division game that we should win. I think most the players know this and don't have that imaginary psychological hurdle to get over.

And lastly, YES! When we win, it WILL feel better than beating the Jets or the Phins. Just seeing the final scoreboard with a larger number next to the Bills logo than what's next to the Pats logo, HELL YEAH! That's just a natural human reaction for people who spent the number of years we have dominated by one team. Wins against them will fill better than other division wins for years to come. Im sure some players will feel that way for at least the next few matches, as will some coaches. Especially McD, who has never beat either of the GOATs. But at the end of the day, when your over the top emotions wear off, just understand a win over the Pats Sunday means nothing more than keeping them in 3rd place and taking a step toward winning a tiebreaker if it comes to that. It wouldn't be some legendary victory or signature win like many are painting it to be. That era is over.

You've typed so much, yet said nothing 😂

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

It's still important for McD to show he can outsmart Belichick, IMO

It's probably more an issue to show that Belichick cannot outsmart McD with far less talent. If he does, it will be a horrible Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1