Blaming the Refs

BillsIsrael

I think sometimes refs don't/do call penalties to allow someone else to figure it out. Specifically on TDs they'll call it a TD more often then not because know it will be reviewed up stairs to confirm/deny it. That said they do favor certain players IMO as how many times have we seen Josh get nailed with no call yet another QB like say Brady takes the same hit and gets a roughing the passer penalty etc.  

47 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That snippet reads like something you would see here at TBD, like a Bills fan wrote it.  Blame it on a certain ref crew.

So the Pats have 15 total penalties and we have 21 in just 2 games.  Who cares?  The Pats are 2-4 and we are 5-2, I wil take the penalties and the record.

Exactly. There actually isn't much of a correlation between penalties and winning.

1 hour ago, BillsIsrael said:

In the Week 8 NFL rankings on SI.Com

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/rick-gosselins-week-8-nfl-rankings-all-afc-at-the-top

In the Bills ranking 
8. Buffalo Bills. (9) The Bills dealt with Patrick Mahomes this season. They dealt with Aaron Donald and Derrick Henry. But the one person they cannot deal with is referee Carl Cheffers. Buffalo has drawn the Cheffers crew for two of its seven games. He issued the Bills 10 penalties for 56 yards in the Tennessee game, then assessed 11 penalties for 106 yards last weekend in the Jets game. That’s 21 penalties in two games. The Bills have had only two double-digit penalty games all season. Their AFC East rival, the Patriots, have been penalized just 15 times in six games this season.

Not following close enough to verify this - but is it really just blaming the refs or bad coaching? If it was bad coaching wouldn't it show up more in other games also?

IMHO, I thought officiating was questionable in the last three games . when the season started it seemed refreshing that officiating didnt seem an issue , but as the season wore on, more flags.. and at crucial times in the previous three games/. 

45 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Bills got that call vs Rams that literally changed the outcome. 

Now I believe  Josh threw it there because they were yelling hold, but I do t think the flag was out yet. 

That was also the game with the non-interception interception.

The point could simply be there are poor officiating groups that overly insert themselves into games with an abundance of flags, which affects outcome regardless of who wins the game.

The Bills games seem to have drawn the short-straw in regards to those crews.

There have been a lot of ticky-tacky calls that have negated plays on either team where the announcers have been baffled either by the rule interpretation or that anything was called at all.

Let's hope they change up the assignments a bit to a officiating crew that believes less is better.

39 minutes ago, H2o said:

Like the ghost Illegal Formation that called back the Davis TD, or where Beasley gets shoved out of bounds by the DB then they drop a flag for Illegal Touching (which was later picked up), or the awful DPI call that set them up for their TD. 

Exactly, these bad calls had a significant impact on the game.  It isn't unusual for a team to have one a game but three is really poor.  Teams don't generally go public with their officiating complaints but they do direct complaints internally to the league offices. Even so, I doubt the Bills complained due to the outcome of the game.  It just doesn't seem like McD's style.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Was it pass interference?  I thought it was obliteration of a defenseless receiver?

i thought he tried to let up the second he saw the pass was incomplete. Tough call but he did make contact with Perrimans helmet and they’re gonna throw that flag every time when the player is destroyed. 

I was talking about the PI call on Perriman that led to the jets first TD not the hit

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Was it pass interference?  I thought it was obliteration of a defenseless receiver?

i thought he tried to let up the second he saw the pass was incomplete. Tough call but he did make contact with Perrimans helmet and they’re gonna throw that flag every time when the player is destroyed. 

The earlier one near the EZ that gave the Jests a TD.

46 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think sometimes refs don't/do call penalties to allow someone else to figure it out. Specifically on TDs they'll call it a TD more often then not because know it will be reviewed up stairs to confirm/deny it. 

John Brown says hi!!

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

refs gave us the Rams game, so no complaints from me

Really? The PI might of been a questionable call and maybe a little weak but the interception was 100% the wrong call. 2 plays later the Rams got into our end zone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Really? The PI might of been a questionable call and maybe a little weak but the interception was 100% the wrong call. 2 plays later the Rams got into our end zone. 

Yup.  At-worst the call was illegal contact, which is still 1st down.  The catch would have put the ball at the Rams' 41-yard line and the facemask on Donald would have put the ball on the Rams' 27-yard line.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  At-worst the call was illegal contact, which is still 1st down.  The catch would have put the ball at the Rams' 41-yard line and the facemask on Donald would have put the ball on the Rams' 27-yard line.

Don't forget that Angry Run got an OPI call on the "INT".

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's pointless knowing how many penalties are called in these 2 games with this crew without knowing the rest. 

Week 1 (Jets): 7 for 80 yards

Week 2 (Dolphins): 6 for 55 yards

Week 3 (Rams): 5 for 55 yards

Week 4 (Raiders): 5 for 81 yards

Week 5 (Titans): 10 for 56 yards

Week 6 (Chiefs): 4 for 39 yards

Week 7 (Jets): 11 for 106 yards

In addition, Info on Cheffers is needed. In 7 games, he leads all officials in calling 117 penalties. No other referee is above 100 (next closest in 96). 

I don't feel like digging into it deeper for his history, but suffice it to say that at a glance, Cheffers is always high up on the the list for most penalties called. 

How many of these flags did this guy personally throw?  Ref just announces penalties for the most part, no?  

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The officials in the NFL suck. The officials in the Raiders games made more bad calls than good calls and it went both ways. I believe the worst is Riverton, he is incompetent to the highest level.

Still trying to figure out the illegal formation penalty on the Gabriel’s td. I see nothing on the film and I’ve heard 3 analysts say they can’t figure it out either. The thing that really pissed me of about the NYJ games are the two flags flown against us that were literally thrown 10 seconds after the play was over. It’s like he was contemplating throwing it than said sure- what the Fck is up with that 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How many of these flags did this guy personally throw?  Ref just announces penalties for the most part, no?  

His 'crew' if that wasn't clear. Yes, the crew has some changes every year. The same you'd say McDermott's teams take a lot of penalties despite they're being different players. The coach doesn't get the penalty, but if his players change and the result remains the same then it's safe to say there's an influence. 

So he (and his crew) are consistently at the top of the league in number of flags. 

• Like (+1) 1