Blaming the Refs

BillsIsrael

In the Week 8 NFL rankings on SI.Com

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/rick-gosselins-week-8-nfl-rankings-all-afc-at-the-top

In the Bills ranking 
8. Buffalo Bills. (9) The Bills dealt with Patrick Mahomes this season. They dealt with Aaron Donald and Derrick Henry. But the one person they cannot deal with is referee Carl Cheffers. Buffalo has drawn the Cheffers crew for two of its seven games. He issued the Bills 10 penalties for 56 yards in the Tennessee game, then assessed 11 penalties for 106 yards last weekend in the Jets game. That’s 21 penalties in two games. The Bills have had only two double-digit penalty games all season. Their AFC East rival, the Patriots, have been penalized just 15 times in six games this season.

Not following close enough to verify this - but is it really just blaming the refs or bad coaching? If it was bad coaching wouldn't it show up more in other games also?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsIsrael said:

Not following close enough to verify this - but is it really just blaming the refs or bad coaching? If it was bad coaching wouldn't it show up more in other games also?

I don't really know about this but from what you posted I'd say their showing a distinction for them being heavily penalized by a specific crew.

• Like (+1) 1

We've seen some bad call, but those happen every game for virtually every team.

I don't feel like the refs favor any teams. Sometimes specific players are favored (Tom Brady) or unfavored (Jerry Hughes), but I feel like the refs are happy to screw any team.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I don't notice the refs unless they are clearly making BAD calls.

Like the ghost Illegal Formation that called back the Davis TD, or where Beasley gets shoved out of bounds by the DB then they drop a flag for Illegal Touching (which was later picked up), or the awful DPI call that set them up for their TD. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WMDman said:

That PI call on Micah still pisses me off

Was it pass interference?  I thought it was obliteration of a defenseless receiver?

i thought he tried to let up the second he saw the pass was incomplete. Tough call but he did make contact with Perrimans helmet and they’re gonna throw that flag every time when the player is destroyed. 

The Cheffers crew was the crew that gave the TITians an illegal forward pass when Tannehill was at least a yard past the LOS.  Many of the penalties, like the PI on Hyde, the PI on Tre', etc. were bogus calls.  That's not fanboy, that's looking at the tape.  Above, @H2omentioned the bogus IF penalty that called back a TD, and the next play where Poole pushes Beasley OB and calls the illegal touch on Beasley, with no PI on Poole.  By any objective measure, the Cheffers crew has been abysmal. 

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Was it pass interference?  I thought it was obliteration of a defenseless receiver?

i thought he tried to let up the second he saw the pass was incomplete. Tough call but he did make contact with Perrimans helmet and they’re gonna throw that flag every time when the player is destroyed. 

37 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Bills got that call vs Rams that literally changed the outcome. 

Now I believe  Josh threw it there because they were yelling hold, but I do t think the flag was out yet. 

An earlier call (INT which wasn't) and non-call (facemask on Donald on the play where Josh fumbled) helped the Rams' comeback immensely. 

The hit by Hyde is what they've been calling now.  It sucks because what else are you supposed to do, but those are the rules.

Edited by Doc

It's pointless knowing how many penalties are called in these 2 games with this crew without knowing the rest. 

Week 1 (Jets): 7 for 80 yards

Week 2 (Dolphins): 6 for 55 yards

Week 3 (Rams): 5 for 55 yards

Week 4 (Raiders): 5 for 81 yards

Week 5 (Titans): 10 for 56 yards

Week 6 (Chiefs): 4 for 39 yards

Week 7 (Jets): 11 for 106 yards

In addition, Info on Cheffers is needed. In 7 games, he leads all officials in calling 117 penalties. No other referee is above 100 (next closest in 96). 

I don't feel like digging into it deeper for his history, but suffice it to say that at a glance, Cheffers is always high up on the the list for most penalties called. 

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's pointless knowing how many penalties are called in these 2 games with this crew without knowing the rest. 

Week 1 (Jets): 7 for 80 yards

Week 2 (Dolphins): 6 for 55 yards

Week 3 (Rams): 5 for 55 yards

Week 4 (Raiders): 5 for 81 yards

Week 5 (Titans): 10 for 56 yards

Week 6 (Chiefs): 4 for 39 yards

Week 7 (Jets): 11 for 106 yards

In addition, Info on Cheffers is needed. In 7 games, he leads all officials in calling 117 penalties. No other referee is above 100 (next closest in 96). 

I don't feel like digging into it deeper for his history, but suffice it to say that at a glance, Cheffers is always high up on the the list for most penalties called. 

So you're telling me he likes being on TV?

Could be the team could be the ref crew.  Doing limited research, I can see the Bills have 48 penalties.  Fourth highest in the league.  However 44% of them came in those two games with that crew.  Also looking at crews Carl Cheffers crew is pretty flag happy.  His crew has penalized 117 times.  The next closest is 96.  Lowest is 53 penalties and league average is 76 penalties.