First Confirmation of Trent Murphy on the Block Rumors

MAJBobby

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

Anyone ever wonder why there’s no bleu cheese flavor? Me neither. 

That cheeseburger flavor they ran a few years ago was strangely spot on. Not good, but tasted like what they were going for. 

Just get some cool ranch batches grow some mold on it and I think we got a winner:sick:

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/28/2020 at 3:32 PM, Weatherman said:

Have you watched him play?  His 5M off the books alone is more valuable than 10 Trent Murphy’s.  I would trade Trent and a 6th for a conditional 2022 7th

Okay...how does that help the Bills right now, tho? I've said it in some other threads, late round picks in 2021 aren't very valuable to a GM like Beane right now. Tons of prospects aren't able to play this season and a lot of those guys are probably gonna get drafted in later rounds. It's gonna be tough to evaluate and figure out what you have in your late round prospects next year. Either way, late round prospects don't have the greatest odds of making this Bills team. 

The only way I'm taking late round picks for Trent Murphy is if I know I'm taking those picks and flipping them to another team for a player. There's just no point in trading him just to trade him and his contract is up after this season so there's not much point in cutting him. I mean, who are the alternatives? Darryl Johnson? AJ Epenesa? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the potential those two guys have but right now they're being outplayed by Murphy which is why he gets more snaps. Yeah I'm sure they expected more from him when they signed him but maybe the injury really FUBAR'd him and he just can't get back to how he was playing before the injury, I've no idea. But as it is right now, he's better than a couple of future late round picks. Unless some kind of knock-his-socks-off kinda deal comes around, I don't think compiling late round picks for the future is real high on Beane's priority list. They have a window to compete right now so if they're gonna make any sort of move, it's gotta be one that helps them immediately and not next year. Again, just my two cents on the subject.

And of course I've seen Trent play. He, along with the rest of the DL, have struggled this season. He does flash and make plays at times, it's just too much time between those flashes. It feels like, "Week Two, Murphy has two sacks and a forced fumble" and then his next sighting is like, "Week Nine, evidently Trent Murphy returned from his trip to the moon because he had a sack and a fumble recovery!" 

On 10/28/2020 at 3:28 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

unless Beane is trying to get some headroom for another move? 

Yes sir. That'd be the only way I'd trade Trent Murphy for a couple of late round picks, is if I knew I could then package those picks and flip them to another team for player that can help them right now. They have a window to compete so I don't think stockpiling a buncha future late round picks does them much good right now. And any late round prospect has their work cut out for them in terms of making the team. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Okay...how does that help the Bills right now, tho? I've said it in some other threads, late round picks in 2021 aren't very valuable to a GM like Beane right now. Tons of prospects aren't able to play this season and a lot of those guys are probably gonna get drafted in later rounds. It's gonna be tough to evaluate and figure out what you have in your late round prospects next year. Either way, late round prospects don't have the greatest odds of making this Bills team. 

The only way I'm taking late round picks for Trent Murphy is if I know I'm taking those picks and flipping them to another team for a player. There's just no point in trading him just to trade him and his contract is up after this season so there's not much point in cutting him. I mean, who are the alternatives? Darryl Johnson? AJ Epenesa? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the potential those two guys have but right now they're being outplayed by Murphy which is why he gets more snaps. Yeah I'm sure they expected more from him when they signed him but maybe the injury really FUBAR'd him and he just can't get back to how he was playing before the injury, I've no idea. But as it is right now, he's better than a couple of future late round picks. Unless some kind of knock-his-socks-off kinda deal comes around, I don't think compiling late round picks for the future is real high on Beane's priority list. They have a window to compete right now so if they're gonna make any sort of move, it's gotta be one that helps them immediately and not next year. Again, just my two cents on the subject.

And of course I've seen Trent play. He, along with the rest of the DL, have struggled this season. He does flash and make plays at times, it's just too much time between those flashes. It feels like, "Week Two, Murphy has two sacks and a forced fumble" and then his next sighting is like, "Week Nine, evidently Trent Murphy returned from his trip to the moon because he had a sack and a fumble recovery!" 

Yes sir. That'd be the only way I'd trade Trent Murphy for a couple of late round picks, is if I knew I could then package those picks and flip them to another team for player that can help them right now. They have a window to compete so I don't think stockpiling a buncha future late round picks does them much good right now. And any late round prospect has their work cut out for them in terms of making the team. 

Wow dude, you missed the boat on this totally.  It’s not about acquiring late round picks, it’s about getting cap relief to add impact players before the deadline.  They can’t do this by cutting him, only trading and I would advocate to include a 2021 6th or 7th to make that happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Wow dude, you missed the boat on this totally.  It’s not about acquiring late round picks, it’s about getting cap relief to add impact players before the deadline.  They can’t do this by cutting him, only trading and I would advocate to include a 2021 6th or 7th to make that happen. 

It would kind of be like an NBA deal, where there is a salary cap dump. A team will trade a player with a 15 million dollar salary and the 20th pick in the NBA draft to acquire a 2nd round pick. The player acquired is inconsequential it is just a math transaction. 

43 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It would kind of be like an NBA deal, where there is a salary cap dump. A team will trade a player with a 15 million dollar salary and the 20th pick in the NBA draft to acquire a 2nd round pick. The player acquired is inconsequential it is just a math transaction. 

Browns have done this a couple times in the past 3 years.  Once successfully and the other time the NFL blocked it.  

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

When was the time it got blocked? I remember the Oswiler trade but that one went through. 

They tried to flip Clowney with a sign and trade.  They were going to take on some of his cap hit in exchange for a draft pick.  

Edited by Weatherman

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

They tried to flip Clowney for a sign and trade.  They were going to take on some of his cap hit in exchange for a draft pick.  

Just looked that up and dam that's crazy. I would have thought it would have been a bigger story.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Cutting and trading him would have the same cap impact for the Bills. That's not true of guys whose salaries are guaranteed, but the Murphy's guarantee has long been paid.  In either case, the unamortized signing bonus due will go into dead cap. The Bills will save the salary he's due and his Per Game Active Bonus, and they would save this whether he's traded or cut.

The roughly $3.5 mill we'd save (not counting that whoever replaces him on the roster would have a cost that should be subtracted from that $3.5 mill to understand the financial impact of the move) wouldn't be nothing, but IMO it's not worth dumping if you get nothing back. They're hoping to get something, if the report is true.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Cutting and trading him would have the same cap impact for the Bills. That's not true of guys whose salaries are guaranteed, but the Murphy's guarantee has long been paid.  In either case, the unamortized signing bonus due will go into dead cap. The Bills will save the salary he's due and his Per Game Active Bonus, and they would save this whether he's traded or cut.

The roughly $3.5 mill we'd save (not counting that whoever replaces him on the roster would have a cost that should be subtracted from that $3.5 mill to understand the financial impact of the move) wouldn't be nothing, but IMO it's not worth dumping if you get nothing back. They're hoping to get something, if the report is true.

No.   Not in current year.  We cut him and no cap reprieve this year...we trade and it opens cap to potentially trade for someone we actually want that has a higher cap hit we could not take on as of now.  

Example we don't have cap space for Watt right now...but we would after we trade Murphy.  Not saying that's why...but if there is a player we want that is more than our cap space this is why ylu would do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

No.   Not in current year.  We cut him and no cap reprieve this year...we trade and it opens cap to potentially trade for someone we actually want that has a higher cap hit we could not take on as of now.  

Example we don't have cap space for Watt right now...but we would after we trade Murphy.  Not saying that's why...but if there is a player we want that is more than our cap space this is why ylu would do it. 

Why would you think that the money for the games he didn't play in would not be available to the Bills on the cap if they cut him?

Murphy's salary is NOT guaranteed.

24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Why would you think that the money for the games he didn't play in would not be available to the Bills on the cap if they cut him?

Wrong.

He was on the roster week 1.........at which point it became guaranteed.

They can only shed it by trading it now.

36 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If I'm not mistaken if cut it becomes dead cap.