First Confirmation of Trent Murphy on the Block Rumors

MAJBobby

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

McKinley was the guy who went a bit nuts on stage at the draft, right? 

Murphy should have been gone in the offseason. His last 4 games last season were a mirage. He is who we thought he was.

I think if we had a normal off-season, he probably is cut, but they had no legitimate backup after Addison and Hughes and I don't think they wanted to count on inexperienced guys in Epenesa and Johnson as the main reserves.

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Trent Murphy right now is more valuable to the Bills than a 2021 6th or 7th round draft pick that's unlikely to make the team. The only way I see them taking picks for him is if they then flip those picks in a trade for another player. 

I agree.  I see either using the accumulated picks for another player, or somehow the other team takes the cap hit, and we use the freed-up space for a new player.  Likely a combo of both.   But you're right, no point in just dumping him.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Trent Murphy right now is more valuable to the Bills than a 2021 6th or 7th round draft pick that's unlikely to make the team. The only way I see them taking picks for him is if they then flip those picks in a trade for another player. 

Unless we are trying to make a move for another position, in which case trading Murphy could:

a)  Clear cap space

b)  Open a roster spot

Otherwise I agree.  Trading him for a late round pick has very little value right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Murphy can have a little value for someone based off his expiring contract, it’s just a half year rental. We probably just have to jump a round higher in pick. 
Example 
If the bengals were willing to trade us Atkins (we can’t afford) and we sent back a 5th rounder it would be a fine trade mostly. 
Now to include Murphy that 5 probably has to turn into a 4 and maybe a 6 and the bengals get a half year rental end and some draft capital. I don’t think Beane flips Murphy for a super late pick then jumps back in, although it would be nice if he can pull it off. 

Edited by Rc2catch

Trent is on an expiring contract so the contract really isn't an issue, it'll get cleared out of the cap in Feb.  However, his dead cap is fairly high, so I don't know how this would work. He basically doesn't bring any value to the opposing team other than being a large body. 

21 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

unless Beane is trying to get some headroom for another move? 

25 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Have you watched him play?  His 5M off the books alone is more valuable than 10 Trent Murphy’s.  I would trade Trent and a 6th for a conditional 2022 7th

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Tyrod was kind of the 25th best QB or so in the NFL at the time.

Murphy is a healthy inactive with guys like last year's 7th rounder and this year's emaciated 2nd rounder having beaten him out.

Well he isn't at risk of being cut so if somebody wants him they'll have to give up a pic.  As far as 25 best QB in the league goes, the 25th best QB in the league is worth a box of Tom Brady's deflated balls as far as compensation goes.  People here complain about Murphy an awful lot but he was a big part of beating the Jets on Sunday.  You'll notice he wasn't a healthy scratch on Sunday.

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They'll have to eat some salary to move him.  I wonder if Terry is keeping track of the amount of his money Beane has wasted on guys like Corey Coleman, Murphy, etc.

I thought it was only a matter of time before Beane is re-signed.  What do you mean? ;)

It would be in the best interest to trade him. It won’t happen.  We should have traded him before the season that is when he had the most value. Not sure we could get a bag of balls for him.  We should keep him for depth.  Not sure where this rumor started.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They'll have to eat some salary to move him.  I wonder if Terry is keeping track of the amount of his money Beane has wasted on guys like Corey Coleman, Murphy, etc.

Unless I “misunderestimated” Terry, I’ll offer dollars to donuts that he’s much more focused on the details of Kim’s outfit of the day.....