Rewatched the Jets game, not good for Edmunds.

TwistofFate

10 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

So the defense gave up like 25 yards in the second half, he was part of that. He couldn’t have been that bad. 

And can we stop with the get him out of the middle nonsense. We play nickel 80 percent or better of the time. There is no middle linebacker then. Also who is the better option to put in the middle when we are in a base defense? Klein? He’s been bad. Milano? Too small never played the position. Every other linebacker we have is hurt. 

Edmunds could play better but it’s getting ridiculous. Guy was a pro bow player last year and trending up. Hurts his shoulder and hasn’t played as well and people want him moved benched etc etc. 2020 for you

but he is not trending up. I did not say dump him or he is a bust. he is playing well below his ability. we have seen him play very well previous seasons

Edited by 3rdand12
spl
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I wish I could say I’m surprised the fan base has turned on him. Once you’ve achieved whipping boy status on here there’s no redeeming yourself. 
The narrative is set 

Hey !

I am a huge Levi Wallace fan though !

for real.

like i said , he must know he is not playing up to what level he could and has.
But he does look out of whack this year , not just against the jets

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Cherry pick 9 plays out of 7 games? I get the point of the article, but when you watch every play of a game you can't help but notice a trend.

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

but he is not trending up. I did not say dump him or he is a bust. he is playing well below his ability. we have seen him play very well previous seasons

Agree but it’s a small sample size. We know what he did last year. We know he was hurt week one with a shoulder and he’s playing through it. I’m convinced that has something to do with his play. The defense clamped down against the jets. Let’s see what happens in the coming weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

So the defense gave up like 25 yards in the second half, he was part of that. He couldn’t have been that bad. 

And can we stop with the get him out of the middle nonsense. We play nickel 80 percent or better of the time. There is no middle linebacker then. Also who is the better option to put in the middle when we are in a base defense? Klein? He’s been bad. Milano? Too small never played the position. Every other linebacker we have is hurt. 

Edmunds could play better but it’s getting ridiculous. Guy was a pro bow player last year and trending up. Hurts his shoulder and hasn’t played as well and people want him moved benched etc etc. 2020 for you

it’s a losing argument.

It’s clear the folks lamenting his play think middle linebacker is the 1980s version of the free roamer LB responsible to follow/chase and hit the RB or man up on the RB out of the backfield like Ray Lewis or Singletary.  

They don’t understand; 

1) a gap responsibility defense  vs run where the job is to fill and maintain a specific gap no matter where the running back goes 

or

2) palms zone (cov 2/3/4) Nickel coverages where two linebackers are essentially strong safeties taking a portion of turf.  

in this context he isn’t to blame for every bad play made by the defense. 

he’s a good player, who does his job vs the runs inside, gets blocked off a bit sideline to sideline and is really good vs pass occupying the one of the two middle short zones. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JP's Voice said:

Again -  I think he could be Myles Garrett esque level of pass rusher.  Put him on IR for the year and have him learn behind Hughes and Addison. Heck even Zo. He can be the next Lorenzo Alexander. MLB is not a fit for him.

He made a pro bow last year

How often does he play middle linebacker. Meaning how often are we in a base defense. 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

it’s a losing argument.

It’s clear the folks lamenting his play think middle linebacker is the 1980s version of the free roamer LB responsible to follow/chase and hit the RB or man up on the RB out of the backfield like Ray Lewis or Singletary.  

They don’t understand; 

1) a gap responsibility defense  vs run where the job is to fill and maintain a specific gap no matter where the running back goes 

or

2) palms zone (cov 2/3/4) Nickel coverages where two linebackers are essentially strong safeties taking a portion of turf.  

he’s a good player, who does his job vs the runs inside, gets blocked off a big sideline to sideline and is really good vs pass occupying the middle. 

I’m glad someone does. Starting to lose my sanity. I would be dollars to donuts if Edmunds shoots a gap it was the gap he was responsible for. 

could he be better this year. Absolutely 

does a should injury affect a linebacker 

absolutely 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

it’s a losing argument.

They don’t understand; 

or

he’s a good player, who does his job vs the runs inside, gets blocked off a big sideline to sideline and is really good vs pass occupying the one of the two middle short zones. 

He is a McDermott player to the core. Very similar to Lotulelei in that respect. 

People love the Jordan Phillips splashy plays but don't understand or appreciate how important doing your job is. That the defense has been down statistically this year exacerbates the issue and fans look for people to blame...usually in the wrong places.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Agree but it’s a small sample size. We know what he did last year. We know he was hurt week one with a shoulder and he’s playing through it. I’m convinced that has something to do with his play. The defense clamped down against the jets. Let’s see what happens in the coming weeks. 

as mentioned I am not out to hang the kid by any means.

and I really Would put Klein in the middle covering a-b gaps on running downs.

Both LBs need help overt the top anyways and Klein is better built to play downhill

3 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I’m glad someone does. Starting to lose my sanity. I would be dollars to donuts if Edmunds shoots a gap it was the gap he was responsible for. 

absolutely 

what makes him look bad to those not understanding the Scheme is actually that he pursues after the fit is blown up away from him to try and get the stop. Personally I see that teams seem to run away from his gap.  I’m sure they know presnap and bills don’t stunt very much. They usually run at the nickel or attack the end depending on who is in. 

5 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

absolutely 

there is a good argument here for assignments. he calls the D alignments/reads/tells.
His role should be 80% the time should  read the play and react though. not fill the gap.

28 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The age excuse doesn't fly anymore. 

But...when you're talking about an athletic freak who's still only 22 years old, it does. Also, who exactly are we going to replace him with? Klein? Maybe throw some Matakevich in there? Some far worse player on the streets right now? Yes, you let the 22 year old take his lumps when there's truly nobody else behind him.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He is a McDermott player to the core. Very similar to Lotulelei in that respect. 

People love the Jordan Phillips splashy plays but don't understand or appreciate how important doing your job is. That the defense has been down statistically this year exacerbates the issue and fans look for people to blame...usually in the wrong places.

Yeah Star And Shaq were the two huge losses to the run defense. 

Jordan was on skates vs the run, but was a good rotational 3 tech pass rusher.