Rewatched the Jets game, not good for Edmunds.

TwistofFate

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Klein has been worse.

The issue is, the times they're actually in position, they don't make the tackle or seemingly shy away from contact.

I remember a play that was an off tackle (maybe a pitch) to the boundary and Klein was absolutely bulldozed and was already 5 yards late to contact. Edmunds had MAYBE one good scrape to make a play but it was still a 3-4 yard gain. He gets lost in the mix quite a bit if he's not over shooting gaps.

The more I watch the LB's play the more I feel like we miss Star. He opens up gaps because he can actually hold his ground. 

Well, Klein has been worse..but I’d say stop playing him in Milanos role. He’s to slow. He might be better off in Edmunds role.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

That ability to weave through a bunch of bodies, while targeting the ball is a skill not everyone has.

In Edmunds case it is a bit frustrating because if he slows down to analyze the play, he gets blocked out of it. If he shoots a gap or tries to set the edge, his angles are bad and he tends to overshoot the player with the ball.

This last trait tends to put him in the awkward position of reaching out to try to make an arm tackle rather than being in position to wrap up. This leads to the type of injury he sustained earlier this year.

Has to be very painful trying to play right now with this tendency. They need to teach him how to better keep his pad level low, shoot the gap, but keep his steps short and choppy else he is just taking huge strides past the ball, or launching himself.

The kid has heart, but needs a lot more coaching up to play the run, or to be an effective Blitzer from the middle.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Well, Klein has been worse..but I’d say stop playing him in Milanos role. He’s to slow. He might be better off in Edmunds role.

Yeah, I can't help but think that there is NO WAY Vosean Joseph was worse than Klein. 

• Like (+1) 1

hes been bad every week and Ive been fairly critical...i thought against the Jets he played well

reaction time was better, delivered blows much better and seemed to be in the right spot much more often

affecting a couple throws as well getting his hands on a couple.

We dont have anyone better, we've seen this- let him play through it he's 22

14 minutes ago, CardinalScotts said:

hes been bad every week and Ive been fairly critical...i thought against the Jets he played well

reaction time was better, delivered blows much better and seemed to be in the right spot much more often

affecting a couple throws as well getting his hands on a couple.

We dont have anyone better, we've seen this- let him play through it he's 22

You and I were watching different games I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

yep  +1

it is more than the shoulder or whatever injuries are nagging him.

Not seeing the plays in front of him is painful to watch for me 

even after they moved him back of the LOS  a few steps. Feel bad for the Kid :(

I am also worried about his  calling the defense

Put Klein in as the heavy mlb in 4-3 downs

Edited by 3rdand12

There is no option to bench him. Klein is slow and terrible. Edmunds has regressed but he wasn't even that good last year. We have all collectively given him a pass because his ceiling seemed so high. He had awful games last year too. 

Doubtful this regime will move on from him. Hope he proves us wrong and he starts playing like at least a quality starter. You expect more from a guy that cost you multiple picks but if he can at least be a middle of the road MLB that would be far better than what he is producing now.

• Like (+1) 1

He’s having a tough year.  But you cannot deny his athleticism.  It just seems to me he is still thinking too much vs. reacting, still learning the position.  I have not been a proponent of moving him outside but that may wind up being the answer.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Went back to watch Edmunds and the defensive front 7 specifically.  Edmunds was really bad. 

Edmunds shot gaps many times and completely over ran the backs where he was more than capable of making stops for a loss. He was pushed around easily by linemen and could get off the blocks. 

His play has been questionable but he was really bad on Sunday. 

I don't  hate the man I pray he turns out to be the stud he was "projected" to be.  I don't know why announcers and other pundits stated the All-Pro talk last year. 

He has been arguably  the worst MLB in the game. 

• Like (+1) 2

So the defense gave up like 25 yards in the second half, he was part of that. He couldn’t have been that bad. 

And can we stop with the get him out of the middle nonsense. We play nickel 80 percent or better of the time. There is no middle linebacker then. Also who is the better option to put in the middle when we are in a base defense? Klein? He’s been bad. Milano? Too small never played the position. Every other linebacker we have is hurt. 

Edmunds could play better but it’s getting ridiculous. Guy was a pro bow player last year and trending up. Hurts his shoulder and hasn’t played as well and people want him moved benched etc etc. 2020 for you

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, WideNine said:

That ability to weave through a bunch of bodies, while targeting the ball is a skill not everyone has.

In Edmunds case it is a bit frustrating because if he slows down to analyze the play, he gets blocked out of it. If he shoots a gap or tries to set the edge, his angles are bad and he tends to overshoot the player with the ball.

This last trait tends to put him in the awkward position of reaching out to try to make an arm tackle rather than being in position to wrap up. This leads to the type of injury he sustained earlier this year.

Has to be very painful trying to play right now with this tendency. They need to teach him how to better keep his pad level low, shoot the gap, but keep his steps short and choppy else he is just taking huge strides past the ball, or launching himself.

The kid has heart, but needs a lot more coaching up to play the run, or to be an effective Blitzer from the middle.

all very good points.. TY.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

That shoulder must be hampering him a bit but I think the issue is much deeper.  I'm not going to go with the kneejerk reaction here but I am very much concerned with his regression.  I have faith the coaching staff can get him back on track.  

I didn't know he played through injury last year...

35 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

A shoulder issue doesn't make you completely miss your assignment unless you're in so much pain you can't think right, and if that's the case, sit him for the year. It was painful watching two interceptions go through his hands. 

I think an injury like that can make you weary of contact. I think they might be better off giving him a week off to see if his injury can at least get better. It's just so odd to see him regress like this. I think the injury is a factor. 

• Like (+1) 1