Jerry Hughes emerging as the defensive leader we so sorely need?

jimmy10

39 minutes ago, TN Bills Fan said:

I noticed that Hughes sat quite a bit in the first half.  I think they may have determined he is no longer as effective as an every down LB.  He was more effective  with a little less playing time.  They also had him lined up on the other side more, and running more stunts.  

He is a DE.  If you don't know what position he plays how can you evaluate it properly?

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Alexander and Talley were leaders right out of the gate, it was just ingrained in their DNA. I'm sorry if I don't see that with Hughes. 

Huh?

We picked up LorAx in his 11th season in the NFL. He spent his early days being cut in camp or on practice squads.

11 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Hughes can get a few more productive years here, he can be one of the all time Bills. He’s been around a bit now. He’s got decent numbers. Was a great trade. I’d love to see him get a few more 9-11 sack seasons. Get him into that all time bill area

He'll have to restructure to stay on the team next year, and especially into the future.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Huh?

We picked up LorAx in his 11th season in the NFL. He spent his early days being cut in camp or on practice squads.

So are you saying a leader has to have Bruce Smith type skills to be a leader? I thought Lorax with us was just a solid player. 

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

So are you saying a leader has to have Bruce Smith type skills to be a leader? I thought Lorax with us was just a solid player. 

No, Im saying he wasnt a leader "right out of the gate" in his career. He couldnt be while he wasnt even making teams.

Unless you are only counting his time with the Bills, and then yes, I expect an 11 year vet to provide some leadership skills. But maybe it took him 11 years to get there. Especially considering his best playing days were in Buffalo.

But Hughes is only in year 10, so he's ahead of LorAx on that timeline.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll ignore the lazy "it was only the Jets" responses and say that a leader is a leader -- they don't pick and choose when to lead.  Maybe it just suddenly hit Jerry that he wasn't going to let the defense sulk because he knows his days as an impact player at DE are numbered and this team gives him the best opportunity he's ever had to chase a championship.

Whatever the case, I'll take another three and a half months of 4th quarter Jerry.

• Like (+1) 1

The refs hate Hughes.

As long as he is cheering on the sidelines.... 

If it was after a defensive play on the field standing over a QB I always feel there is about a 50/50 chance he will get an unsportsmanlike penalty.

He has not backed down much at all in that running feud, and I still see him getting dragged back while chirping at the zebras.

I get it, he has not been treated fairly by Rivera's cabal.

I like his exuberance, but Jerry is an emotional player that needs calmer heads around him. Lorax and Williams rarely took a selfish penalty.

Nothing against his contributions on the field and sideline. Lord knows the boys have needed a spark.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Alexander and Talley were leaders right out of the gate, it was just ingrained in their DNA. I'm sorry if I don't see that with Hughes. 

Alexander and Talley were extraordinary leaders.  Hughes is not that

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Hughes used to get hot headed every game and take stupid penalties and mouth off to the refs. I don't agree that he has been a leader for years. He has been a decent player for years, but not necessarily a leader.

But he had a good game, so that's good.

Agree with this one.  I know a former NFL Umpire - he worked the SB.  He said Jerry would get frustrated and mouth off like crazy and didn't let up.  It lead to nit picky flags which further drove him crazy....my bud says they tried to work with him but it was like trying to put out a fire with gas.  Hopefully maybe Jerry has calmed down a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cubanmist said:

It was the Jets! Let’s not get too carried away. He was a ghost against all other teams played thus far.

Nothing like going up against the worst O line in the NFL to get your rep points back up. I like Hughes and thought the addition of Addison would have freed him up more for more rush opportunities but that has not been the case.

According to advanced stats (ESPN's pass rush win-rate, PFF grades), among edge defenders, Hughes ranks at the top of the league--and this was before the Jets game. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

According to posters, and a lot of Bills fans, Hughes has been "invisible."  Sooo . . . which is it?  Has Hughes been very good and the rest of the d-line has been bad, or are the gut shot eye test game reactions from fans accurate?

Below from a certain site that people don't necessarily like when it comes to grading certain QBs . . .

PFFJH.png

8 hours ago, eball said:

Whatever the case, I'll take another three and a half months of 4th quarter Jerry.

That's funny; the phrase 4th qrtr Jerry has popped into my head a few times this week.

I think he might be on his last legs as an effective starting DE in this league but I can absolutely seeing him having the kind of season where he's not real noticeable for long stretches but suddenly starts making impact plays in the 4th qrtr of tight games.

8 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Agree with this one.  I know a former NFL Umpire - he worked the SB.  He said Jerry would get frustrated and mouth off like crazy and didn't let up.  It lead to nit picky flags which further drove him crazy....my bud says they tried to work with him but it was like trying to put out a fire with gas.  Hopefully maybe Jerry has calmed down a bit.

Maybe he’d stfu if they called holding more than once every 3 years. 

1 hour ago, King Allen of New York said:

According to advanced stats (ESPN's pass rush win-rate, PFF grades), among edge defenders, Hughes ranks at the top of the league--and this was before the Jets game. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

According to posters, and a lot of Bills fans, Hughes has been "invisible."  Sooo . . . which is it?  Has Hughes been very good and the rest of the d-line has been bad, or are the gut shot eye test game reactions from fans accurate?

Below from a certain site that people don't necessarily like when it comes to grading certain QBs . . .

PFFJH.png

The proof is in the puddin.

The haters will continue to hate though