Assuming Democrats Win Big, What Should Top Priorities Be For Biden Administration?

Tiberius

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If you address the cost issue for future students (through various means) what do you do with the current generation of people with crippling student debt? Do you support some sort of partial forgiveness or at least a lowering or eliminating of their interest rate? Or are you just fine with doing nothing?

Have the colleges that are sitting on trillions refund it, and not just to the women's studies majors that are defaulting, but to anyone in the last 20 years that has paid theirs off.

People who paid theirs off shouldn't get screwed for being responsible adults.

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

What should they do when they lose?

FIFY

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Have the colleges that are sitting on trillions refund it, and not just to the women's studies majors that are defaulting, but to anyone in the last 20 years that has paid theirs off.

People who paid theirs off shouldn't get screwed for being responsible adults.

FIFY

I paid for my kid’s education. What reparations do I get? Or am I just the chump who understood personal responsibility? 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I paid for my kid’s education. What reparations do I get? Or am I just the chump who understood personal responsibility? 

Gubmint should set the tuition make it retroactive and colleges should refund people who paid more than that.

it's only fair.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:55 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Biden should do the following:

1) Guarantee a $1000/week payment to every American (or illegal alien...sorry, immigrant) over age 13;

2) Health insurance for every human, born or unborn;

3) Free college education for every person (age 14-78) with tuition forgiveness so long as they take 2 credit hours of “Patriotic/Democratic Theory”;

4) Every person plants a tree...in their yard, school or anywhere they want;

5) Defund the military...it’s just world police. Dumb

I like you enthusiasm but if everyone is entitled to $1K per week and they get free healthcare and free college then who will choose to work and produce the goods and services all this free money is going to get spent on?  The $1k translates to $25/hr.  So it seems reasonable to assume that anyone making less than that will quit their job.   

42 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I like you enthusiasm but if everyone is entitled to $1K per week and they get free healthcare and free college then who will choose to work and produce the goods and services all this free money is going to get spent on?  The $1k translates to $25/hr.  So it seems reasonable to assume that anyone making less than that will quit their job.   

Forgot to click the "sarcasm button"

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Trump did that to the tune of $287 million he borrowed to build a skyscraper in Chicago: Chicago.

Why shouldn't ordinary people have the same opportunity?   BTW, the forgiven loan/mortgage amounts count as income, so these people who get these breaks pay taxes on these breaks -- except for Trump who avoided paying taxes on most of that $287 million.

Sooooo be like Trump?

I realize that forgiven debt is considered income, if it is reported as such.  Many mortgage lenders chose not to do so during the 2008/2009 recession.

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Bro, that's where the Authoritarian regime kicks into high gear!

55 minutes ago, snafu said:

Bro, that's where the Authoritarian regime kicks into high gear!

Go to work or go to prison?

I thought the progs were against incarceration?

Oh wait, you don't get paid in money, you get coupons for food and clothing.

Edited by Gary M

On 10/27/2020 at 11:33 AM, Backintheday544 said:

2. Start a commission to look at Supreme Court

:huh:

Uh....what needs to be 'looked at'?   Or are you just outright suggesting that we *****-can the whole 'checks and balances' thing by making the USSC a puppet of the Legislature?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I bet if you didn’t watch cnn you wouldn’t have that opinion.  

When you assume you make an ass out of all republicans... CNN isn't news.

So great watching people make ***** up and being wrong.

Edited by TBBills

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

:huh:

Uh....what needs to be 'looked at'?   Or are you just outright suggesting that we *****-can the whole 'checks and balances' thing by making the USSC a puppet of the Legislature?

If it's going to be used to stifle the will of the majority on partisan grounds, it will need to be checked and stuffed 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

If it's going to be used to stifle the will of the majority on partisan grounds, it will need to be checked and stuffed 

In our Republic form of government checks and balances were put in place to deter the "majority" from running roughshod over the Constitutional and legal rights of any minority opinion or viewpoint.  The fact progressives claiming to represent some majority view don't like it means it seems to be working well. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

In our Republic form of government checks and balances were put in place to deter the "majority" from running roughshod over the Constitutional and legal rights of any minority opinion or viewpoint.  The fact progressives claiming to represent some majority view don't like it means it seems to be working well. 

Tell that to Merrik Garland. We are taking the power. We the People. Taking! 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

If the will of the majority isn't supported by laws, then the will of the majority can get stuffed.

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Tell that to Merrik Garland. We are taking the power. We the People. Taking! 

Keep the gualg gruel clean.  That's all I ask.

17 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Checks and balances are a good thing but it might be a a good idea to review if those checks and balances are actually working as intended or if they are doing just the opposite.   I would not be surprised to see the constitution amendments proposed to deal with issues that have surfaced in this election campaign:  limiting the confirmation of new Supreme Court justices within 60 or 90 days of national elections; having a national standard of dealing with mail-in ballots for national elections that are postmarked by election day but arrive after the polls close;  outlining a specific process for transfer of power when the incumbent POTUS loses his re-election bid; and possibly modifying/abolishing the Electoral College.

Just now, snafu said:

Picking out furniture for your dacha, I see.

Don't count your Orloffs before they hatch.  You did that 4 years ago. Look how that turned out.

True, you guys might win. But change is coming nontheless. The demographics are changing. 

On 10/29/2020 at 1:35 PM, SoTier said:

I think that wholesale forgiveness of student debt isn't the best idea.  

I think that:

• the federal government owes relief to those who were the victims of scam schools by forgiving their loans.  These schools lured in students by the schools' using access to federal guaranteed student loans as "financial aid". 
  • all other borrowers should be given an opportunity to "work off" part of their student loan debt.  People in certain public service jobs should be eligible for forgiveness of up to 70% of their loans in exchange for working in those fields for up to 7 years.  I would include teachers and educational support staff working in public and private schools and accredited trade schools and colleges, most health care professionals, professionals working for local, state, or federal government in non-elective positions (including law enforcement and military), people working in mental health and addiction counseling, etc.
  • people who have been paying off their student loans but run into some kind of economic crisis and need to declare bankruptcy, should be allowed to have their remaining student debt included in their discharged debts.

I think there is a super simple solution to the student loan crisis, keep interest rates at 0% and offer terms up to life expectancy if that is the payment people need. You make people pay what they actually borrowed, minus the crippling interest. You pay $100, you have $100 taken off your principle amount. It might be a good idea to create a public school tuition cap as well. The government doesn’t need to solve the student loan debt crisis, they only need to assist. College isn’t a human right, but access to funding that college dream seems more in line with reality. All current loans stay at 0%, all future loans are offered at 0%. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Like (+1) 1