Have there ever been fewer middle of the road teams?

Big Turk

Seems there are a lot of both really good teams in the league and really bad teams in the league but not very many mediocre teams. Not sure I ever remember seeing this big of a disparity between the haves and have nots...

Edited by matter2003

I can't say that I agree with you. There are plenty of middle-of-the-road teams. There are really only four truly elite teams and only a couple really bad ones. Okay, add the Cowboys in and there's a few.

As you see on here, the perspective of what makes "bad" is skewed by frustration. The Bills don't stink, no matter what anyone says. Neither do most of the other teams. The Jets truly stink. The Giants stink. The Cowboys are playing like they stink, although their talent says otherwise. Evidenced by the shellacking that Washington put on the Cowboys, they do not stink. They are middle-of-the-road. Maybe on the fringe, but still... Rivera has them playing ball. Same with Philly.

It's just that expectations were so high for some of the clubs and they are falling short. They don't stink. Even the Jets will almost surely win a game.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Seems there are a lot of both really good teams in the league and really bad teams in the league but not very many mediocre teams. Not sure I ever remember seeing this big of a disparity between the haves and have nots...

Without going back and looking, I think what gives his perception are the records.   A lot of teams with few losses, and a lot of teams with a lot of losses, without a lot of .500 teams.   

I don't think the records are indicative of the range of teams.   I think in other few weeks it will be clear that there are a few really good teams, a couple of really bad teams, and a bunch heading for 6-10 to 10-6, just like always.   Give it a few more weeks.  

• Like (+1) 2

Record wise you are correct the only teams within 1 game of being .500 are the Dolphins sitting at 3-3 and The Raiders sitting at 3-3. In the NFC you have the Panthers at 3-4, the Lions at 3-3 and The 49ers at 4-3. That's only 5 teams in the entire league that are in that range. 

Most of the league is either 2 games over or under. It is odd but I think things will normalize.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Without going back and looking, I think what gives his perception are the records.   A lot of teams with few losses, and a lot of teams with a lot of losses, without a lot of .500 teams.   

I don't think the records are indicative of the range of teams.   I think in other few weeks it will be clear that there are a few really good teams, a couple of really bad teams, and a bunch heading for 6-10 to 10-6, just like always.   Give it a few more weeks.  

This.

I think I counted 6 or 7 teams with 1 win or less. Thats pretty crazy at this point in the season. However, it'll balance itself out in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I was looking at the league standing yesterday and thinking the same thing.

Bad teams - Jets, Bengals, Jaguars, Texans, Giants, WFT, Cowboys, Eagles, Vikings, Falcons.  I know some will see talent there, but those are all teams who are poorly coached and have proven throughout this season they lack fundamental elements necessary to be decent football teams.

Mediocre teams - Dolphins, Pats, Colts, Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Lions, Panthers.  The Bears are probably in this category.  

Good teams - Bills, Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Chiefs, Titans, Packers, Bucs, Saints (they are iffy...), Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m curious to see if the NFL will trend the way of NHL.

Have a nice 7-9/8-8 team snag that 7th Seed.  Show up Wild Card Week and end the 12-4 team.

i realize that happens sometimes with 6th Seed now.  But that extra spot really gives teams the freedom to stink until Thanksgiving...turn it on...and then hit playoffs with sketchy record but playing well and do damage.

35 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bad teams - Jets, Bengals, Jaguars, Texans, Giants, WFT, Cowboys, Eagles, Vikings, Falcons.  I know some will see talent there, but those are all teams who are poorly coached and have proven throughout this season they lack fundamental elements necessary to be decent football teams.

Mediocre teams - Dolphins, Pats, Colts, Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Lions, Panthers.  The Bears are probably in this category.  

Good teams - Bills, Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Chiefs, Titans, Packers, Bucs, Saints (they are iffy...), Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals, 49ers.

I think you're being kind to the 49ers and - yes - the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I think you're being kind to the 49ers and - yes - the Bills.

Not sure if the Bills are a good team or not.  We definitely are not a bad team.  But our O line is iffy at best.  As is our D line.  Although it was nice to see Jerry Hughes explode against the Jets.  Our LB's are marginal after Millano.  (Yes Edmunds is lousy.  Was getting run over and missing tackles again against the Jets.  Can't intercept a pass to save his life. The game looks very difficult for him.  I would replace him as soon as possible.  Dodson could be better in the long run once he gets healthy and has more experience)  Our secondary has new life w Dane Jackson.  Love what I saw out of him on Sunday.  He looked very comfortable on the football field, complete opposite of Edmunds.

On offense the sky's the limit w Josh Allen.  But we need the deep threat of John Brown, and a TE who is a threat every time they line up on the field.  Given the difficulty of our schedule, for us to get to at least 11 wins is going to take a really really strong effort from everyone including coaches.  Not saying it can't be done.  But we will need to get better everywhere on the field.  

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Record wise you are correct the only teams within 1 game of being .500 are the Dolphins sitting at 3-3 and The Raiders sitting at 3-3. In the NFC you have the Panthers at 3-4, the Lions at 3-3 and The 49ers at 4-3. That's only 5 teams in the entire league that are in that range. 

Most of the league is either 2 games over or under. It is odd but I think things will normalize.

Agree with these comments; give it more time.  It will look about right before the season is over.

The vast majority of this league lives somewhere in that zone from a few games below to above .500.  There's 3 or 4 truly bad teams, and 3 or 4 truly elite teams who will fight to win the Superbowl.  

It doesn't really change that much year to year.