What we are missing? Consistency...

mjt328

I think our fanbase would do themselves a lot of good by watching other football teams. All teams have problems during games, during the season etc. Blow outs arent the norm in the NFL, over 70 percent of games are decided by 3 or less points. 

Yes this team has struggled at times, and in certain areas. Its a fact of life in the NFL. Ill take the wins and be happy, and knowing McD and Co. are trying to improve every week. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Not saying you have not beaten anyone, just that your one statement win you needed help and that your D is the weakness of the team.

KC is very beatable this year, the Pats D smothered that O to only 19 points.. and their D isn’t that good,  the Pats O is just that bad with Hoyer and lately Cam) lol. 

I think the chiefs defensive improvement year over year is the biggest difference.  I thought their secondary would be a big weakness - but they've been pretty solid there gameplan wise.  They got beat deep a few times by carr in that raiders game, but they didn't let LJ or Allen get going in those 2 meetings.

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

Thats like saying the KC only won because CHE’s knew was down.  This logic works both ways

CEH was down and the play was reviewed correctly. Kroft clearly had possession and the refs made a ridiculous call upon review. It’s not the same 

What we are missing is a whole bunch of players that are injured/ playing injured/ a D line man named Star... 

If all those guys were playing, and fully healthy we would not have the issues that are currently plaguing us. Like it or not injures matter and the are the reason we are struggling. 

Jmo...

Go Bills!!!

30 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think the chiefs defensive improvement year over year is the biggest difference.  I thought their secondary would be a big weakness - but they've been pretty solid there gameplan wise.  They got beat deep a few times by carr in that raiders game, but they didn't let LJ or Allen get going in those 2 meetings.

They can’t stop the run KC.. that is their weakness just like NE. Why it isn’t a big deal? 99% of teams are not patient enough just to keep running the football.. they all want those pretty long passes .

2 hours ago, ny33 said:

After a BS int call 

The horrible call on that interception was FAR more egregious than the semi-questionable PI call (there WAS contact beyond 5 yards). I wish people would stop bringing up the PI without explaining how that could POSSIBLY be an interception. The INT led to the situation we were in. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Yet it's not a stretch to say most fans are disappointed in the team's overall performance.

Thoughts?

I can't speak for "most fans," but I am not disappointed with the team's "'overall" performance at all.  We are currently 5-2, and leading the division.  Maybe others expected better, but if you had asked me just before the season started if I would be satisfied with leading the division after 7 games with a 5-2 record, I would have said yes.

Would you have said no? 

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Coming up on the midpoint of the season, the Bills will either be sitting at 6-2 or 5-3, and will be in the driver's seat for winning the AFC East.

Yet it's not a stretch to say most fans are disappointed in the team's overall performance.

I believe the biggest problem is a lack of consistency.  During the Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott era, this team seems totally incapable of putting together a FULL four-quarter performance on both sides of the ball. 

• When the Offense plays good, the Defense struggles to stop anyone.  When the Defense shuts opponents down, the Offense can't score.
  • When the team gets a big lead, they inevitably fall apart in the second half.  When the team starts flat, they often come back in the 4th Quarter.
  • For weeks they are unstoppable in the Red Zone.  Then suddenly, they go 0-9 in a single game on scoring a touchdown.

At the end of the day, the Bills do usually seem to emerge with a victory.  But games we should be winning in blow-outs, always end up becoming nail-biters.  And of course, we can't seem to get over the hump against the best teams in the league.

It's easy to spot the places where the Bills have been underperforming over the last several games.  But the lack of consistency is still a disturbing trend overall, and something I can't quite put my finger on.  Is it a problem with coaching and scheming opponents?  Do our players have trouble staying focused?  Thoughts?

WGR has been talking non-stop about the "first 4 games" and "30-points" and "MVP candidate Allen". 

Nate Geary today said he needs to feel that this offense can score 35. Seattle is averaging 33.8 per game, so 35 is a lofty number to just expect in the back pocket for a team that averaged 19 ppg last season.

I'm not sure how they expect the Bills to do that, there are a few reasons. 

1. We oscillate back and forth on Daboll. After scoring 35 against the Rams he's getting mentioned as Head Coach candidate. Then you have the non-existent 3rd Quarters, or 3rd-1/4th-1 QB sneaks against KC and you're left frustrated. In terms of the run-game, I just think we get too finesse from time to time. A lot of running out of the Shotgun, and no recognition that delayed handoffs and sweeps to the edges don't generally go well with this line. Sometimes, I'd like to see a standard handoff from under center.

2. I come out in the middle on our talent at running back. I wouldn't clamor for more handoffs/emphasis for Singletary, and not for Moss until he shows he warrants it.  

3.  Brings us to the pass game. Fans talk about it, WGR is obsessed with it, but the explosive plays of the first 4-weeks. Without John Brown, and without a Tight End to clear out the middle of the field, I feel the Bills will revert back to the model they had in the beginning of 2019, and the Dallas game in 2019. Shorter, timing passes, that focus on the middle of the field. I think that's where Allen is at his best. Time to throw, survey, and make throws straight down the middle of the field. 

I like him on the move, designed boot-legs like Jared Goff, but there needs to be WR's that can separate and come back to the ball since our running backs are slow, and the Tight End is non-existent. 

I don't know if Gabe Davis is a one-trick pony who runs go-routes and has a nose for the endzone, or if a guy like Duke Williams would provide that bigger, target body on off center throws. 

So my thought would be keep rotating pieces in and out, and see if we can identify any playmakers past the established ones (Diggs, Brown, Beasley) on this team, so you can avoid predictable Isaiah McKenzie sweeps for -5 yards. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Not saying you have not beaten anyone, just that your one statement win you needed help and that your D is the weakness of the team.

We needed help to win that game? Like the help the refs gave us when our receiver went up, caught the ball, came down with the ball and it was called an interception?

Please. That call was far far worse and went against us.

More, the P.I. call was in fact P.I. Yeah, most refs might not have called it under the circumstances, but it absolutely was P.I.as the guy rode our WR down the field 15 yards and did in fact prevent the completion by doing that.

D is the weakness? I'm not really sure of that at this point. I thought it was very clear the first four games but the offense hasn't been especially good the past three weeks. It's probably still true, but not all that clear at this point.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

You did, but you needed a very questionable PI call to do it.. worse you blew a huge lead and needed Allen to do a 4th quarter comeback. 

the Bills biggest weakness is D.

Yawn. I've seen it all. A Pats fan who hangs out on a Bills site pointing out how a team got a favorable call 🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

They can’t stop the run KC.. that is their weakness just like NE. Why it isn’t a big deal? 99% of teams are not patient enough just to keep running the football.. they all want those pretty long passes .

They did a good job against baltimore.  They have some good defenders on the line that can disrupt both rushing and passing.  

I tend to agree though, against KC teams lose that patience and feel like they need to score.

• Like (+1) 1

You did, but you needed a very questionable PI call to do it.. worse you blew a huge lead and needed Allen to do a 4th quarter comeback. 

What's the Pats biggest weakness? Offense, Defense, special teams, blocking, passing, defending the pass, running, defending the run, tackling. Did I miss any?

It was PI.  It was only questionable as the refs often keep the flag in their pockets at the end of the game.

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

What's the Pats biggest weakness? Offense, Defense, special teams, blocking, passing, defending the pass, running, defending the run, tackling. Did I miss any?

Offense, in particular QB play which has cost us 2 games.. (KC and Denver) Our D is damn good and will be better next year because all these guys got playing time and played well. Winovich looks like he is going be very good.

on offense, we have a damn good O line, decent Running backs but a sub par QB, unknown at TE, and poor WR.  I think this O with average QB be good enough to win 10 games maybe more. I say that because with BB you know as long as the WB played smart the other teams HC will do something stupid to give the Pats the win. 

6 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Coming up on the midpoint of the season, the Bills will either be sitting at 6-2 or 5-3, and will be in the driver's seat for winning the AFC East.

I believe the biggest problem is a lack of consistency.  During the Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott era, this team seems totally incapable of putting together a FULL four-quarter performance on both sides of the ball. 

• When the Offense plays good, the Defense struggles to stop anyone.  When the Defense shuts opponents down, the Offense can't score.
  • When the team gets a big lead, they inevitably fall apart in the second half.  When the team starts flat, they often come back in the 4th Quarter.
  • For weeks they are unstoppable in the Red Zone.  Then suddenly, they go 0-9 in a single game on scoring a touchdown.

At the end of the day, the Bills do usually seem to emerge with a victory.  But games we should be winning in blow-outs, always end up becoming nail-biters.  And of course, we can't seem to get over the hump against the best teams in the league.

It's easy to spot the places where the Bills have been underperforming over the last several games.  But the lack of consistency is still a disturbing trend overall, and something I can't quite put my finger on.  Is it a problem with coaching and scheming opponents?  Do our players have trouble staying focused?  Thoughts?

Consistency is a huge problem, and no one is impacted by that more than Josh Allen.

This team looked fantastic the first 4 games of the season and people were starting threads with titles like "When did you first realize Josh Allen was our franchise savior" and so on.  Times were good.  

For the first time in 20 years, we had a potent, high powered offense that looked like it belonged on the field with ANY team in the NFL, capable of winning against anyone.  The motor that drove the entire thing was Allen.  

That was mostly a function of Josh performing like the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the league, way beyond where he naturally lies IMO.

Now he's coming back to reality, and the team looks different.

He's certainly not the only problem, either.  Defense has been spotty, our OL can't run block to save their lives and so on.

But if you want to know who this team is and what it's capable of doing, follow #17, and see if he can develop more consistency than he has had so far in his career.

Consistency is formed from the ball out. With poor line play on both sides of the ball coupled a young QB we shouldn’t expect to see consistent dominant performances from this team. Fold in all the injuries this team is dealing with and you have a perfect recipe for ups and downs. 

There’s certainly room for improvement. The D Line finally showed up in the second half (albeit against the Jests). Let’s hope that MD and Frazier adjusted the scheme and play calls. 

The Oline may very well improve with Mongo back in the lineup and Ford getting healthy while continuing to iron out his mirroring. At the very least with Winters replaced there won’t be liability at RG. 

Allen is going to be inconsistent as more experienced and innovative D coordinators are going to come up with coverage and pressure packages he hasn’t seen before. Heck, the Bucs caught Rodgers a week ago. Allen will continue to improve with experience.

IMO the bur is going to be big for this team. It’ll give the coaching staff an opportunity to revise their schemes. We should get some players back healthy. Hopefully Allen will make another mini leap after the bye like he has every other time he’s had time off to examine his play and improve. The schedule after the bye looks tough, but this team does have the talent and coaching to get everything back on track..... Especially if Allen has a performance jump.  

12 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

I think our fanbase would do themselves a lot of good by watching other football teams. All teams have problems during games, during the season etc. Blow outs arent the norm in the NFL, over 70 percent of games are decided by 3 or less points. 

Yes this team has struggled at times, and in certain areas. Its a fact of life in the NFL. Ill take the wins and be happy, and knowing McD and Co. are trying to improve every week. 

Right it’s not like other teams aren’t trying to win the super bowl too. What happened to us bills fans is 20 years of suck man that is along time and we just want to win so bad.