What we are missing? Consistency...

mjt328

Coming up on the midpoint of the season, the Bills will either be sitting at 6-2 or 5-3, and will be in the driver's seat for winning the AFC East.

Yet it's not a stretch to say most fans are disappointed in the team's overall performance.

I believe the biggest problem is a lack of consistency.  During the Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott era, this team seems totally incapable of putting together a FULL four-quarter performance on both sides of the ball. 

• When the Offense plays good, the Defense struggles to stop anyone.  When the Defense shuts opponents down, the Offense can't score.
  • When the team gets a big lead, they inevitably fall apart in the second half.  When the team starts flat, they often come back in the 4th Quarter.
  • For weeks they are unstoppable in the Red Zone.  Then suddenly, they go 0-9 in a single game on scoring a touchdown.

At the end of the day, the Bills do usually seem to emerge with a victory.  But games we should be winning in blow-outs, always end up becoming nail-biters.  And of course, we can't seem to get over the hump against the best teams in the league.

It's easy to spot the places where the Bills have been underperforming over the last several games.  But the lack of consistency is still a disturbing trend overall, and something I can't quite put my finger on.  Is it a problem with coaching and scheming opponents?  Do our players have trouble staying focused?  Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

Agreed. Although I would hate to see the bills play the Rams now with the offence stuck in mud the lat few weeks

Point taken but remember week to week it all comes down to game planning and match ups. Pro Football is a coordinators game. The preparation and strategy for each week sets the course. The really good coaches are able to adjust the plan at halftime if their scripted strategy isn’t working out.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

They beat the Rams, who are one of the best teams in the league.

You did, but you needed a very questionable PI call to do it.. worse you blew a huge lead and needed Allen to do a 4th quarter comeback. 

the Bills biggest weakness is D.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Point taken but remember week to week it all comes down to game planning and match ups. Pro Football is a coordinators game. The preparation and strategy for each week sets the course. The really good coaches are able to adjust the plan at halftime if their scripted strategy isn’t working out.

Very true and I agree. 

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

You did, but you needed a very questionable PI call to do it.. worse you blew a huge lead and needed Allen to do a 4th quarter comeback. 

All points well taken but to say they haven’t beaten a good team isn’t accurate. And...had that fourth quarter Chiefs fumble actually been a fumble the Bills were a really short field away from beating KC as well. Just saying.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

All points well taken but to say they haven’t beaten a good team isn’t accurate. And...had that fourth quarter Chiefs fumble actually been a fumble the Bills were a really short field away from beating KC as well. Just saying.

Not saying you have not beaten anyone, just that your one statement win you needed help and that your D is the weakness of the team.

KC is very beatable this year, the Pats D smothered that O to only 19 points.. and their D isn’t that good,  the Pats O is just that bad with Hoyer and lately Cam) lol. 

7 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

After a BS int call 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Not saying you have not beaten anyone, just that your one statement win you needed help and that your D is the weakness of the team.

KC is very beatable this year, the Pats D smothered that O to only 19 points.. and their D isn’t that good,  the Pats O is just that bad with Hoyer and lately Cam) lol. 

As so many say on here “you are what your record says you are”. The best thing to happen to the Bills was that their really tough schedule seems to be coming in the latter part of the season. If they can get to 6-2 on Sunday they’ll have used the first eight games to get their feet under them (remember there wasn’t a preseason) and find out what needs tweaking before heading down the stretch run.

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes, but I think you are missing the overall point.  The Rams game further amplifies my point about inconsistency.

The Bills played fantastic at the start of that game.  Then totally fell apart in the second half.  And then needed to comeback and win the game.

Why can't this team ever play good on offense AND defense?  Why can't they play good for 4 full quarters?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Coming up on the midpoint of the season, the Bills will either be sitting at 6-2 or 5-3, and will be in the driver's seat for winning the AFC East.

Yet it's not a stretch to say most fans are disappointed in the team's overall performance.

If 5-3, then the Bills are likely in trouble.

If ever there was a game they can't afford to lose, it is this week vs. the Pats.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Rams wins came against NFC East & now Bears team that isn't as good as their record. They'll most likely finish close to 8-8/9/7

Edited by uticaclub

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

We needed help? The rams needed help to start their comeback. They got the worst Gifted interception I’ve ever seen.   That play started their comeback.  Did you happen to see the interception I’m talking about?

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Yes, but I think you are missing the overall point.  The Rams game further amplifies my point about inconsistency.

The Bills played fantastic at the start of that game.  Then totally fell apart in the second half.  And then needed to comeback and win the game.

Why can't this team ever play good on offense AND defense?  Why can't they play good for 4 full quarters?

The Bills O played fantastic at the start.  The Bills D got wrecked the entire game.  We just happened to get a pick and the rams botched a 4th down