Good things about the 18-10 victory over the Jets

PUNT750

It wasn't pretty -but- how many games in the NFL are pretty anymore?? The typical NFL game in 2020 comes down to last second field goals, critical penalties and a lot of luck!!

The positives I saw were:

-A win moving to 5-2

-Josh looked positive and took the short passes the Jets gave him

-The DL made big plays and got sacks

-Positive rookie performances (Bass, Moss, Gabriel, Jackson, AJ)

-Loving Beasley

Edited by PUNT750
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Practice reps for the kicking unit.  Seriously.  All 3 of them got live game action and reps.  Hopefully it helps going forward.

The defense - 10 points and 4 yards for the 2nd half are both numbers to hang their hat on.  Hopefully they continue to bring pressure.

Epenesa sighting.

They got the w.  Not always gonna be pretty but a wins a win.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Limited injuries. Were there even any?

Good question - I listened to McDermott's entire presser today and did not hear one question about an injury.  Someone asked about Milano and McD said his "head was in a good place" this morning or something like that.

Diggs went down at one point and they said he was injured but he went back in, no one in the press asked about it that I heard.

44 minutes ago, section122 said:

Practice reps for the kicking unit.  Seriously.  All 3 of them got live game action and reps.  Hopefully it helps going forward.

The defense - 10 points and 4 yards for the 2nd half are both numbers to hang their hat on.  Hopefully they continue to bring pressure.

Epenesa sighting.

Punter didn’t get many reps

But that’s another good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

Punter didn’t get many reps

But that’s another good thing. 

As a holder he did.  I think bojo still struggles with getting the ball appropriately placed.  8 reps sunday hopefully helped him gain some confidence!

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, section122 said:

Epenesa sighting.

Ya the 4 yards was the lowest total yardage amount allowed in a half since 1970! Saw that stat on twitter. Very impressive even though it was against a terrible team. I hope it continues next week. 

1.  The quick passes to Beasley to get him to the edge.

2.  As someone said upthread, more kicks for the rook.  Loved him talking smack to JETS sideline.

3. No punts

4.  Six sacks

5. 1 INT that led to late 1st half points

6. A very good kick return

7. A drive to start the 3rd.  Like they said, "enough of this.."

8. No obvious injuries on a field that sure had the 9ers spooked

9. A division win

10. 4 yards total offense for the J*E*T*S, JETS! JETS! JETS! in the second half

11.  And a bonus...  Getting to watch the smack down of the Patriots afterwards.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya the 4 yards was the lowest total yardage amount allowed in a half since 1970! Saw that stat on twitter. Very impressive even though it was against a terrible team. I hope it continues next week. 

That’s interesting for sure. You typically only see that sort of thing in bad weather games: snow, high winds, rainstorms. While watching the second half it didn’t feel like the Jets were getting that little done.... but apparently they weren’t.

They never punted and they were in Jets territory for all 9 possessions.

They dominated on the stat sheet rolling up almost 425 yards to under 200 for the Jets. 

They held the Jets to 4 total yards in the second half

The defensive coaches finally saw the light and used pressure packages in the 2nd half instead of just trying to rush 4. Why it took them 6.5 games to realize they were getting shredded and should probably try something else I don't know. The results spoke for itself.

They got 6 sacks and countless other pressures and hurries

Allen's accuracy returned after 2 relatively poor games in that regard.

They won and are 5-2 overall and 3-0 in the division.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

It wasn't pretty -but- how many games in the NFL are pretty anymore?? The typical NFL game in 2020 comes down to last second field goals, critical penalties and a lot of luck!!

The positives I saw were:

-A win moving to 5-2

-Josh looked positive and took the short passes the Jets gave him

-The DL made big plays and got sacks

-Positive rookie performances (Bass, Moss, Gabriel, Jackson, AJ)

-Loving Beasley

I think biggest thing is we continue to move the ball.   Rarely does this team get 3 and outs.  Keep that happening and the TDs will come. 

• Like (+1) 2