Favorite non bills color analyst

2 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

i like Chris as well.  Don’t understand the hate.

I think he is incredibly knowledgeable, but my knock on him is he doesn't know when to shut up, he continues on and on and on, sometimes the best thing to do is let a viewer watch the game without having a comment on the minutia. Vin Scully was a master at knowing when to shut up.

Edit: My favorite is Romo.

Edited by BruceVilanch
forgot to add my favorite.
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBobs said:

I loved Gus Johnson back when he used to do NFL games -- although I think he was more play by play than color.

Was going to say the same thing.  He just brings a certain energy to the game that suits college IMO, adds so much to the experience of the game.  

37 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I think he is incredibly knowledgeable, but my knock on him is he doesn't know when to shut up, he continues on and on and on, sometimes the best thing to do is let a viewer watch the game without having a comment on the minutia. Vin Scully was a master at knowing when to shut up.

Edit: My favorite is Romo.

So was the man on our wall, the fandemonium, Van (we love ya) Miller, but then again this is non Bills guys.  You just reminded me with you’re comments of Van.  Mr. Miller was a nice guy, just like Larry Felser, and was lucky to get to know them as my dad worked as an executive for the Buffalo News for 44 years.  It was a fun college job for me getting to know some of those guys.  I know Van wasn’t a News guy, but he and my dad became friends over the years.  Good take Bruce.

• Like (+1) 1

Romo is #1. Unpopular take but Collinsworth is easily my #2. 

Worst is Rich Gannon. Cannot stand him. Talks utter rubbish and always appears to have done minimal research on the teams he is watching. Oh yea and Aikman is easily the worst of the #1 team guys. If you enjoy watching a replay so that a color guy can just repeat the thing that was obvious from the original tv angle then Troy is your guy. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Romo, comfortably.

I thought Aikman was awful the last Bills game he did.

/

Fwiw I always try to listen to the ‘broadcast’ commentary, for a supposedly unbiased viewpoint, but the Allen comments nearly had me turning the sound off. I don’t think I have ever felt remotely like that before.

I’m coming around on Archuleta, but Feeley is just bad. 

Lofton seems to have lightened up a little, but just has one of those monotone voices.

Romo is the best.

Colllinsworth is second best. I don’t understand why the hate from this board.

I like Archuleta and also Jay Feely is surprisingly good.

Aikman is the worst

On radio here in Portland, the Seahawks had Warren Moon. He was terrible then got fired for sexual harassment complaint.  Now they have some horrible former linebacker or safety that is so bad I don't even have the interest to look up his name.

Seahawks radio play by play guy is not bad. A not too over the top homer.

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I was going to say least favorite but I think half of the threads would be Cris Collinsworth...so I was thinking of favorite non bills announcer and I’ve always enjoyed Chris Spielman calling a game seems like he would make a great coach if he wanted to get into it 

i think Spielman is great and deserves higher profile games but.......................

Spielman Bills.webp

Collinsworth can bring some good insight.  But his voice really gets on my nerves and he fellates the QBs du jour far too much and too blatantly.

I hope Romo never gives in to that crap, because right now he's at the top of the game

Aikman never really bugged me, but this year I find him really difficult to listen to.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

So was the man on our wall, the fandemonium, Van (we love ya) Miller, but then again this is non Bills guys.  You just reminded me with you’re comments of Van.  Mr. Miller was a nice guy, just like Larry Felser, and was lucky to get to know them as my dad worked as an executive for the Buffalo News for 44 years.  It was a fun college job for me getting to know some of those guys.  I know Van wasn’t a News guy, but he and my dad became friends over the years.  Good take Bruce.

Cool backstory!  Felser always seemed to have a sense of cool.  Knew when to attack, knew when to back off.  You knew you weren't getting the wool pulled over your eyes nor was he a homer.  Van?  Well Van WAS the man!!!  The voice of the Bills!

9 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Best: Romo- Honourable mention: Gannon

Worst: Collingsworth- Honourable mention: Aikman

Gannon is brutal. He was horrendous on Sunday. Showed severe lack of understanding what was occurring in the game. What do you like about Gannon? 

agreed on Romo.

I like Aikman when he isn’t calling a Bills game. 
I always liked Daryl Johnston. Haven’t heard him in awhile. Just checked and it says he is still with Fox. 

crazy all these are ex-Cowboys. Guess I have forgiven them! 

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Gannon is brutal. He was horrendous on Sunday. Showed severe lack of understanding what was occurring in the game. What do you like about Gannon? 

agreed on Romo.

I like Aikman when he isn’t calling a Bills game. 
I always liked Daryl Johnston. Haven’t heard him in awhile. Just checked and it says he is still with Fox. 

crazy all these are ex-Cowboys. Guess I have forgiven them! 

I just think he brings the odd good point. He said a couple on Sunday, can’t remember at the top of my head.

Maybe it’s not that Gannon is “good”, but he just doesn’t annoy me as much as the other analysts lol.

Good call on Johnston. I think he’s a good analyst as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Kirk Herbstreit is excellent. Wish he called NFL games. The two he did this year were great. I also like Gus Johnson. NFL commentators just aren't as good. Romo and Nantz are the preferred pairing. I don't think anyone else is even close.