Slate Magazine says "The Patriots' Demise Should Have Been Funnier"

Dr. K

Slate Magazine weighs in (prematurely, I think) on the Patriots poor play recently.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/10/patriots-bad.html

For my part, I will not believe the Patriots are done until they are buried at the crossroads with a stake through their heart. Please, Buffalo, make an old man happy and sweep the SOBs. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 7

I share your fear about the Patriots -- we haven't beat them, let alone had a home playoff game of our own so I am far from counting them out.

It is crazy to me how quickly after Brady's departure the issues that many of us saw with the team on the personnel side the last few years have proven to be their demise.

The poor drafting of late, bad trades, and lack of impact free agent signings on offense have really caught up with them without Brady magic to paper over all the issues and hold the thing together. BB is a Hall of Fame coach, no doubt, but Brady is certainly looking like the engine that made that team go at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Slate Magazine weighs in (prematurely, I think) on the Patriots poor play recently.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/10/patriots-bad.html

For my part, I will not believe the Patriots are done until they are buried at the crossroads with a stake through their heart. Please, Buffalo, make an old man happy and sweep the SOBs. 

I agree, premature.  I will be much happier to laugh at them after we beat them.  

Then conduct an exorcism procedure involving a crossroads, a silver-tipped stake, and a box of salt.

In fact it would make me, personally, as a fan, feel better if you'd edit your title to reflect the fact it's Slate's attempt at premature humor

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Belichick is going for Lawrence

This occurred to me earlier. I don’t think he set course for that. But given his loss of practice due to Covid, then dropping 2 in a row. It is the hand he is dealt at the moment. He’s missing basically half of his starters due to opting out. He could tank and still come back with a top 5 defense and a rookie QB. 

7 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

AFC EAST is such a bad barometer of how the NFL works that it gets fans in those cities to think that once you get bad...you stay bad for long periods of time.

Yeah I mean with all the opt outs and them actually being bad this year they might have some good draft picks.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

It will always be hysterical and bring great joy to me.  But the demise isn't complete until we sweep them into oblivion and the Hoodie questions himself as a coach and a man

The 3 reasons of Belicheats demise

1. Lose your MVP GOAT QB

2. Sign Cam and expect no fall off

3. Do the worst Subway commercial ever, so bad that you have to change the channel whenever it comes on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree, premature.  I will be much happier to laugh at them after we beat them.  

Then conduct an exorcism procedure involving a crossroads, a silver-tipped stake, and a box of salt.

In fact it would make me, personally, as a fan, feel better if you'd edit your title to reflect the fact it's Slate's attempt at premature humor

Premature because they haven't missed the playoffs yet but make no mistake...they are not a good team. They have virtually no offensive playmakers and their D has a lot of holes.

If this was any other team we would be talking about how we should stomp them into the ground because we have far superior talent pretty much across the board. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBobs said:

The poor drafting of late, bad trades, and lack of impact free agent signings on offense have really caught up with them without Brady magic to paper over all the issues and hold the thing together. BB is a Hall of Fame coach, no doubt, but Brady is certainly looking like the engine that made that team go at this point.

While I agree BB is one of the greatest coaches in our lifetime, he pretty much sucks as a GM. He caught lightning in a bottle with the Brady sixth round pick, but he's pretty much let that team fall into ruin as far as offensive talent. While I'll agree that he's hurt by all of the opt-outs, could the reason there were so many in the first place be because of the draconian way he runs the team? 

I love seeing them down as much as anybody, but I think we are looking in the wrong direction when considering our afc east opponents.

Instead of the Patriots who are sinking we should keep our eye on the dolphins who may be turning the page with their yet to be determined stud or not Tua, a good coach in Flores, good young talent and numerous draft picks. I know I have been focusing on them a bit, but they are our closest competitor in the division.  Additionally, and as bad as they are now I have resigned myself to the fact that the Jets WILL win the Trevor Lawrence derby and if he is the potential generational player he seems he might be, along with the Jets’ numerous draft picks...well...s***...

So die Patriots, die, and I am enjoying the hell out of this, but I really don’t want to think about anything past 2021 in this division, because I believe it is going to get pretty tough come the 2022 season.  Especially when you consider we will likely be paying Allen 25-30 or more million per year with a team that even now looks like it has issues with some star players (I mean their overall skill level and maybe some chinks in our drafting) while Tua and Lawrence will still be on their rookie deals.

I kind of hate this post of mine, because I am the glass half full kind of guy, which I still am with our team...it’s just I am noticing that our other division rivals are starting, or will be starting, to fill their glasses, too, while the Pats sun is setting.

GO BILLS!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And twice. A sweep would be nice.  Even after we hopefully win this week at 6-2, and them at 2-5, I’ll wait to see how they fare against the Ravens, Cardinals, and Rams.  Now seeing those three losses and a second loss to us would at best finish them off at 7-9.  That’s when the bottle gets uncorked and we can all have a metaphoric glass of bubbly celebrating the demise of the Cheats.

52 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I love seeing them down as much as anybody, but I think we are looking in the wrong direction when considering our afc opponents.

Instead of the Patriots who are sinking we should keep our eye on the dolphins who may be turning the page with their yet to be determined stud or not Tua, a good coach in Flores, good young talent and numerous draft picks. I know I have been focusing on them a bit, but they are our closest competitor in the division.  Additionally, and as bad as they are now I am have resigned myself to the fact that the Jets WILL win the Trevor Lawrence derby and if he is the potential generational player he seems he might be, along with the Jets’ numerous draft picks...well...s***...

So die Patriots, die, and I am enjoying the hell out of this, but I really don’t want to think about anything past 2021 in this division, because I believe it is going to get pretty tough.  Especially when you consider we will likely be paying Allen 25-30 or more million per year with a team that even now looks like it has issues with some star players (I mean their overall skill level and maybe some chinks in our drafting) while Tua and Lawerence will still be on their rookie deals.

I kind of hate this post of mine, because I am the glass half full kind of guy, which I still am with our team...it’s just I am noticing that our other division rivals are starting, or will be starting, to fill their glasses, too, while the Pats sun is setting.

GO BILLS!

Let me top you off with that glass.  Good points Donuts, and feel similarly.  I’m less concerned about the Jets for awhile as yes, they probably get Lawrence, but will have to do a complete rebuild.  A couple of years from now if Douglas picks the right coach, and if he hits on most of his draft picks, then ok.  

Miami, on the other hand spent $235.8 mil. in the off season on free agents, filled holes with 11 draft picks, and has another 10 or so for next year.  Not as concerned about Miami this year as Tua should have some lumps in his first few starts, so we should win the gulp, division, but 100% agree Miami v. Buffalo’s rivalry is on the horizon for years.  Flores looks to be a good coach, and has more than enough talent to build a good team.  We on the other hand have some holes and problems on depth, so if not a cheap option like two examples I’ve given in other threads with a young DT, we’ll need those draft picks.  Giving away anything more than a late pick and absorbing a smaller contract is a mistake.  Beane’s smart.  He knows how to make good decisions.

On the positive side, we have a couple of people who spotty have shined a little, ie. Dane Jackson and Epenesa.

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sorry, didn’t want the imogies.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Let me top you off with that glass.  Good points Donuts, and feel similarly.  I’m less concerned about the Jets for awhile as yes, they probably get Lawrence, but will have to do a complete rebuild.  A couple of years from now if Douglas picks the right coach, and if he hits on most of his draft picks, then ok.  

Miami, on the other hand spent $235.8 mil. in the off season on free agents, filled holes with 11 draft picks, and has another 10 or so for next year.  Not as concerned about Miami this year as Tua should have some lumps in his first few starts, so we should win the gulp, division, but 100% agree Miami v. Buffalo’s rivalry is on the horizon for years.  Flores looks to be a good coach, and has more than enough talent to build a good team.  We on the other hand have some holes and problems on depth, so if not a cheap option like two examples I’ve given in other threads with a young DT, we’ll need those draft picks.  Giving away anything more than a late pick and absorbing a smaller contract is a mistake.  Beane’s smart.  He knows how to make good decisions.

On the positive side, we have a couple of people who spotty have shined a little, ie. Dane Jackson and Epenesa.

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sorry, didn’t want the imogies.  

Up in the middle of the night for reasons other than football.

However, this made me feel better and I think I am going to go back to bed for a couple of hours.  Thank you, brother MGK!

7 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Belichick is going for Lawrence

That would be sweet but not plausible.  I would be happy to see the PROVEN cheater retire in disgrace as the team he has built crumbles to ground around him.  What worries me more tho is Scam knows he laid an egg on Sunday and will be playing for his life this week as he wants to remain the starter.  One can only hope the Bills will see Stidwell during the game this week.

Go BILLS!!!