NASA’s SOFIA Discovers Water on Sunlit Surface of Moon

Punching Bag

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-sofia-discovers-water-on-sunlit-surface-of-moon/

SOFIA has detected water molecules (H2O) in Clavius Crater, one of the largest craters visible from Earth, located in the Moon’s southern hemisphere. Previous observations of the Moon’s surface detected some form of hydrogen, but were unable to distinguish between water and its close chemical relative, hydroxyl (OH). Data from this location reveal water in concentrations of 100 to 412 parts per million – roughly equivalent to a 12-ounce bottle of water – trapped in a cubic meter of soil spread across the lunar surface. 

As a comparison, the Sahara desert has 100 times the amount of water than what SOFIA detected in the lunar soil. Despite the small amounts, the discovery raises new questions about how water is created and how it persists on the harsh, airless lunar surface.

Interesting although the extraction cost may be too high to practically use it.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

It would be a huge step towards colonization if humanity so desired costs be darned.

Yea cost is a non issue, whoever controls the moon will control the world. We can get a base up there easier launch capabilities for space missions and weapons.

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m reserving judgement until I know what sitcom math has to say about all this. 

It has no data on whether control of the moon would mean control of the Earth.  It has, however, proven there are no intelligent communicative aliens on the moon.  Why would the moon be different than the rest of the universe?

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, dpberr said:

I recall a small arthouse film that started off with finding something at Clavius...

2001 isn't what I'd call a small arthouse film.

Had a budget of nearly $100 million (adjusted for 2020 dollars) and was a major Metro Goldwyn Mayer release.

Nominated for 4 academy awards, won 1.  

13 hours ago, dpberr said:

I recall a small arthouse film that started off with finding something at Clavius...

28 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

2001 isn't what I'd call a small arthouse film.

Had a budget of nearly $100 million (adjusted for 2020 dollars) and was a major Metro Goldwyn Mayer release.

Nominated for 4 academy awards, won 1. 

Woody : Kelly's coming back from Europe today.

Frasier : Ah, she's hopping the pond.

Woody : What?

Frasier : Well, the pond. It's a reference to the Atlantic.

Woody : Why, Dr. Crane. The Atlantic is an ocean. How many of those have you had?

Frasier : Apparently, not enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.