Harrison Phillips - Odd man out Or "our kind of guy"?

3 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I’m going to guess that McDermott determined that Phillips is not fully back from his injury. A torn ACL can take 18-24 months for full recovery. The Bills need Phillips to occupy two offensive linemen, 600+ pounds of world class athlete. That doesn’t necessarily mean that he is a lost cause or out of favor with the organization. It may simply mean he needs more time to get to 100%. McDermott’s supportive words here could be encouragement to Harry as he works to get the the “ready-ready” finish line.

More broadly speaking, we as fans, would do well to be more respectful of injuries and what players endure:

- White has an ongoing back injury, his play suffers, and some accuse him of being happy with his money.

- Edmunds guts it out with an ongoing shoulder injury and some call him a bust, as he essentially plays one-handed.

- As Milano is works through a strained or slightly torn pec, some say do away with him.

The commentary I have read over the past month leads me to suspect that many on this board have never played contact sports, and therefore, haven’t a clue.

Bin mutherfreaking Go!!!  All these arm chair QB's, Corners, LB's, Coaches and GM's provide hours of entertainment tho!!!  MANY MANY Laughs are had at their expense.....many.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Comparisons are difficult because different defensive scheme and personnel, but Kyle Williams was arguably not Kyle Williams on the field for the first 3-4 years of his career.

Disagree. Even as Rookie, he became a household name -if only in the ‘lunchpail’ variety. Was starting every game by year 2 til the day he hung ‘em up.

5 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I thought Kyle made noticeable contributions in his early years.  He always looked like a gamer to me.  

Can’t say the same for Harrison.  He looked good for awhile last season, before the injury.  

I think he ends up on IR and he gets another shot next year after more rehab.  

I share McD’s pain/plight. I WANT him to nail down a spot, he just hasn’t..

29 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Hey Kwai, I am old and hopelessly devoted to standard English - the kind you might find in Webster's Dictionary. :) Can you tell me what this means?

LOL Bingo!  With a muthereffer in the middle!!!  I'm old too....but young at heart!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they should IR Phillips for the season. He just hasn't looked the same coming back from the ACL. Let him heal up the rest of the season and come back in 2021.

I think this is likely what they are considering. He is not the Harry pre-injury and he showed enough before that where they don't want to let him go. Give him some time on the sidelines and see if he can get back to 100% before the playoffs or IR him, but I don't expect to see him released. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I think this is likely what they are considering. He is not the Harry pre-injury and he showed enough before that where they don't want to let him go. Give him some time on the sidelines and see if he can get back to 100% before the playoffs or IR him, but I don't expect to see him released. 

He has one more year remaining on the rookie year, it would be foolish to not at least bring him into camp in 2021 to see if he can make a rotation.

• Like (+1) 1

im sure they like him, but healthy scratch means they don't want him, obv because of his performance.

spain was at least OK, on par w ford more or less, but ford has upside and is cheaper, and they let him walk, so i think at least part of the positive speak about phillips is because he's taking getting benched better than spain did.  spain moped and moaned and got cut.  what a bad signing that was.

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

He’s on a cheap deal.. last year he was solid before injury.. Probably makes less than $1M a year..  might as well keep him around, even if it’s as a 4th stringer. 

This is the only thing that saves him in my eyes. Cant get mad at his production (or lack there of) at $1M/year.

I guess I agree with others to IR him for now and see what happens next camp. Barely any dead money if we cut him next year.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Comparisons are difficult because different defensive scheme and personnel, but Kyle Williams was arguably not Kyle Williams on the field for the first 3-4 years of his career.

By Kyle's 4th year he was absolutely playing at a pro bowl level

His third year he really started to be an impact guy

I think for an interior lineman year three bearing no injuries is usually the time to break out

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Greatdane21 said:

I look for him to be better the second half of the year , it takes A full year to come back from this type injury and not having an off season or training camp and pre season games . I wouldn’t give up on him so quick.

I don't think Phillips would have been ready to participate in OTAs.  He had training camp.  I think he was on a pitch count.

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

By Kyle's 4th year he was absolutely playing at a pro bowl level

His third year he really started to be an impact guy

I think for an interior lineman year three bearing no injuries is usually the time to break out

So what are your thoughts as to what the Bills should do on DL going forward and what they should do with Phillips?

21 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Translation... He’s a great guy but he sucks

No translation we love him but his still not healthy enough to help us...  he was one of our better d-Lineman last year he didn't just forget how to play.. he's coming off an injury that takes a full year to come back from. He'll be fine just not this year probably.

Edited by gordong

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Phillips would have been ready to participate in OTAs.  He had training camp.  I think he was on a pitch count.

So what are your thoughts as to what the Bills should do on DL going forward and what they should do with Phillips?

Well primarily I think they need to start getting younger, not older

Phillips clearly doesn't look like he's back from last year's injury, and we have a deep rotation, though it's not clearly established yet

In the off-season I think we should go after a traditional one-tech in free agency, which should be doable. Him and star could be our 1s 

And draft another defensive end early. Pair a talented young end, with Oliver and the one techs, and hopefully Darryl Johnson or epenesa will step up with a more talented front

Our d line is slowly jelling but we're pretty old