Matt Milano is more important to keep than edmunds

Sharky7337

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question for you:

Football is a very physical game. 

What constitutes a "very often injured player"? especially at hard-hitting positions such as LB or DB?

Someone that has missed games in multiple years. Someone who has had two different injuries already this year. He's undersized for the position which is most likely why he's hurt more often. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm kind of a bit puzzled. 

This is Milano's 4th season. 

This is Edmund's 3rd season.

What does calendar age have to do with "football smarts" and being able to diagnose, read and react correctly and decisively?

How will an extra 4 years of calendar age improve Edmunds abilities in this regard?

The calendar age aspect is more from a physical standpoint than mental standpoint. If your talking who you keep that plays into it in that you could expect a longer lifespan out of Edmunds. No guarantees. I would no give Edmunds the 2nd contract if come contract time he still makes the mistakes he is making, those need to be righted.

I just see Milano as a solid good LB. You keep him if you can but dont over pay.

Edmunds has the potential to be a superstar. Clearly not there yet though. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Milano is a much more replaceable player. He is an above average player, but should not be overvalued because the Bills failed to find a decent back up. It should not be such a big drop off.

Milano is 26; Edmunds is 22. Milano has peaked. He is an overachiever given his physical abilities. Edmunds has a long way to go. He has size and speed that cannot be taught.

In 3 years from now Edmunds will be the much better player in my opinion. 

Your judging by draft status?

So far the size and speed have not replaced the heart that Milano has.

46 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Milano has better instincts and is more of a impact player for this defense than Edmunds. If we have to resign any of the linebackers, I would argue he is a higher priority then Edmunds and if you couldn't keep both you would let Edmunds walk.

No doubt!

• Like (+1) 1

Milano might be dinged up from time to time but hes played 48 out of 55 games in his career. Compare that to most linebackers in the league,newsflash they all miss games. The bills need quality backups. Last year milano and edmunds didnt miss snaps backups need to play and bills need depth.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Milano has better instincts and is more of a impact player for this defense than Edmunds. If we have to resign any of the linebackers, I would argue he is a higher priority then Edmunds and if you couldn't keep both you would let Edmunds walk.

I'll pass the memo along to Beane .... thanks !

41 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The calendar age aspect is more from a physical standpoint than mental standpoint. If your talking who you keep that plays into it in that you could expect a longer lifespan out of Edmunds. No guarantees. I would no give Edmunds the 2nd contract if come contract time he still makes the mistakes he is making, those need to be righted.

Concur.  He has all the physical potential in the world, but so far, he's not shown that he's growing into it.

I just see Milano as a solid good LB. You keep him if you can but dont over pay.

Edmunds has the potential to be a superstar. Clearly not there yet though. 

I sort of see them as a Marcel Dareus (though for different reasons) vs. Kyle Williams situation.  Dareus had all the physical potential in the world and his 1st round draft status reflected that.  He could have had a HOF career and his name on the Wall of Fame.  He had some good games and contributed, but somehow, he never quite contributed up to his physical potential.

Kyle Williams was a 5th round draft pick who was perennially considered "undersized" for his position, but who was "oversized" with focus, dedication, and heart and became a lynchpin of the Bills defense for years.

One of them had a 13 year career with 6 pro-bowl selections and a 2nd team all-pro, in many years off a bad team.

One of them had a 1st team all-pro and a couple of pro-bowl years at the end of his rookie contract, then the want-to faded and he transitioned from "Mr Big Stuff" to "Mr Big Puff"

Note: I'm not in any way intending to impugn Edmunds character or imply that he'll become unmotivated if we pay him, but somehow so far, he just doesn't seem to be living up to all that physical potential.

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Your judging by draft status?

So far the size and speed have not replaced the heart that Milano has.

Your opinion, my opinion. I would bet money that if there was an NFL draft held right now that Edmunds would still get picked higher than Milano. I just think people see him as having a much higher ceiling. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK is not an answer to the question "What is your answer to what constitutes an often injured player at LB in a 4-3?"

Who are some examples, to you, of guys playing a similar role to Milano who are less injured?

We could potentially replace him in next years draft

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm kind of a bit puzzled. 

This is Milano's 4th season. 

This is Edmund's 3rd season.

What does calendar age have to do with "football smarts" and being able to diagnose, read and react correctly and decisively?

How will an extra 4 years of calendar age improve Edmunds abilities in this regard?

Because Doug Whaley and Tom Modrak talked about how more reps and more OTAs and more Training Camps and you just keep getting better and better.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Concur.  He has all the physical potential in the world, but so far, he's not shown that he's growing into it.

I sort of see them as a Marcel Dareus (though for different reasons) vs. Kyle Williams situation.  Dareus had all the physical potential in the world and his 1st round draft status reflected that.  He could have had a HOF career and his name on the Wall of Fame.  He had some good games and contributed, but somehow, he never quite contributed up to his physical potential.

Kyle Williams was a 5th round draft pick who was perennially considered "undersized" for his position, but who was "oversized" with focus, dedication, and heart and became a lynchpin of the Bills defense for years.

One of them had a 13 year career with 6 pro-bowl selections and a 2nd team all-pro, in many years off a bad team.

One of them had a 1st team all-pro and a couple of pro-bowl years at the end of his rookie contract, then the want-to faded and he transitioned from "Mr Big Stuff" to "Mr Big Puff"

Note: I'm not in any way intending to impugn Edmunds character or imply that he'll become unmotivated if we pay him, but somehow so far, he just doesn't seem to be living up to all that physical potential.

I agree. And look at the contract that Dareus signed vs Williams. Not always fair, but potential is sometimes valued much more than heart. I could see the same thing happening here - Milano either walks or gets paid much less than Edmunds. But Edmunds never lives up to pay, while Milano earns it. 

As of right now I don't think Beane, McDermott, Milano or his agent know at all where he will be playing next year.

I like Milano and hope he stays but there is a lot that goes into that.

I guessing we won't know until next March.  In the meantime get healthy Matt and help this defense!

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

Someone that has missed games in multiple years. Someone who has had two different injuries already this year. He's undersized for the position which is most likely why he's hurt more often. 

OK, lots of LBs miss games in multiple years.  How many games, that's what I'm asking.  1 game?  3 games?