Will the Bills Make A Trade?

ngbills

Bills Trade Before Deadline  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills Make a Trade?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will You Be Disappointed if They Dont?

• Yes
    • No

I think they trade for a true one tech and they IR Phillips. It won't be a super splashy move but I think they could get a nice player that can fill the one tech hole.

The LB corps and secondary is going to be helped by Levi and Milano coming back. The offense will be helped by the return of Mongo and John Brown. So the only logical move to make is for a one tech which is desperately needed and isn't an expensive add.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I think some fans on here have unrealistic expectations. How many players are actually available for trade? How many can we afford into our cap? How many can be had at a decent value? The options are getting a little slim now aren’t they? 

and also Beane has shown they will pay but Not overpay for players they value. SO if the price isn't right then no moves will be made. But do I rule it out? Not really I dont think they would be shy to pull the trigger if they deemed it a betterment of the roster AND at the right price. Churn that roster UP I root for the laundry. GO BILLS

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Doesn’t seem like Beane’s style to make in season trades of any significants. 

Good point. 

In general, Beane's style has been to surf the cutout bin for players we can use.  That's how we got Jordan Phillips in 2018 and Corey Liuget in 2019.

But he's also been pretty clear in saying that what he views as appropriate depends upon where the team is and what impact a player could make.  And he has expressed regret/that he made a mistake to "not do more" at OL and WR in 2018.  So I don't think we can rule it out, either.

Just now, Warcodered said:

So your saying it's realistic for them to get traded somewhere and then traded again immediately to us?

I am saying - people say how is that a realistic trade. Then they do get traded. If there are trade rumors why not the Bills? Baltimore with less cap space than us gets Yannick for peanuts. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

I am saying - people say how is that a realistic trade. Then they do get traded. If there are trade rumors why not the Bills? Baltimore with less cap space than us gets Yannick for peanuts. 

Because the Patriots and Jets don't want to make our team better since we're in the same division.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they trade for a true one tech and they IR Phillips. It won't be a super splashy move but I think they could get a nice player that can fill the one tech hole.

The LB corps and secondary is going to be helped by Levi and Milano coming back. The offense will be helped by the return of Mongo and John Brown. So the only logical move to make is for a one tech which is desperately needed and isn't an expensive add.

How can they IR Harrison Phillips?  He isn't injured.  McDermott is on the record saying he's "healthy" after being inactive last week.

I think you're right about the 1TDT though.  It's an off-season miscalculation on Beane's part, he projected that 3rd round pick Harrison Phillips would return to form and progress, and he couldn't predict Star Lotulelei opting out.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good point. 

In general, Beane's style has been to surf the cutout bin for players we can use.  That's how we got Jordan Phillips in 2018 and Corey Liuget in 2019.

But he's also been pretty clear in saying that what he views as appropriate depends upon where the team is and what impact a player could make.  And he has expressed regret/that he made a mistake to "not do more" at OL and WR in 2018.  So I don't think we can rule it out, either.

This is also the first year you could say they have a legit chance for a deep playoff run. Is there any team in the AFC they could not play with? Until the past few weeks many on this board and in the national would call them a contender. These past weeks highlighted that they need help. A one year rental to make a playoff run why not?

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Because the Patriots and Jets don't want to make our team better since we're in the same division.

They want the compensation they would get back. Maybe that comes into play if they have other offers but they would not turn it down because of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see a big deal trade happening.  I do think Beane will "try" to make a trade of medium type value IF he can work out a decent deal.

The NFL/NFLPA floor deal is at 175M but as the games keep getting played I think that could get bumped maybe 10M.  If Beane thinks that he may trade and restructure a contract this year.

I voted yes to the trade but it's probably more a 50/50 thing.

I won't be disappointed if no trade is made.

Edited by ColoradoBills

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How can they IR Harrison Phillips?  He isn't injured.  McDermott is on the record saying he's "healthy" after being inactive last week.

I think you're right about the 1TDT though.  It's an off-season miscalculation on Beane's part, he projected that 3rd round pick Harrison Phillips would return to form and progress, and he couldn't predict Star Lotulelei opting out.

The Pats IR players all the time who don't have obvious injuries. I am sure you can sit down with him and tell him they are doing to IR him so he can get back on track in 2021. The doctors can simply say he has a setback with his Acl

I dont understand why people keep listing WR's as potential trade targets.  Its the one area we are pretty rock solid at.  

And also Gilmore is not even remotely realistic.  Not only do I seriously doubt Pats want to send him to the emerging best team in their own division, but the cap numbers are nothing Beane is going to ever consider.  We can't afford to field 2 of the highest paid CB's in the league.  

But, I did answer YES in the poll if I think Beane will make a trade, and also YES if I would be disappointed if we don't.  One, this team can and should compete this year.  I can make an argument confidently that we are a player or two away from significantly addressing some of the glaring issues on the team.  And that area is primarily 1TDT.  

Adding a space eater in the middle to replace the hole left by Star will make the most impact.  That makes our LB's, DE's, and 3TDT's jobs so much easier.  Its the rare case where a singular player can have a multitude of impact across the unit.  

I wont be pissed if no trades happen, but I do think that its a position that can fit in quickly into a unit, so of all years, this really makes sense for a midseason trade given the opportunity we have this year.  So I would be a little disappointed if we don't given the solution to that problem is not currently on the roster.  

Wouldn't surprise me if we made a trade for a veteran TE or athletic TE, but I think its far more likely he explores some beef for the interior of the DL over anything else.  Possibly a CB too not named Gilmore.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

I don't think we will make a trade, and it wouldn't bother me if we don't. 

We have what we have and will have to deal with it. 

Yeah... I don’t think overpaying for players is such a great idea when we have so many holes either.. Probably better off just waiting till the draft.. Allen is good, real good but not Championship level good yet, hopefully he’s at that level next year.. Probably a year away, this team needs some seasoning.. Holes everywhere..

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Pats IR players all the time who don't have obvious injuries. I am sure you can sit down with him and tell him they are doing to IR him so he can get back on track in 2021. The doctors can simply say he has a setback with his Acl

It's one thing to IR a player at the beginning of the season when there isn't yet formal injury reporting.

I think it would be scrutinized pretty heavily to IR a player who the coach publicly stated was a healthy scratch.  I suppose you could do something to sell it, like if Phillips were to state he was getting a 2nd opinion and more tests on his knee and they indicated injury that required clean-out surgery or something.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Part of the problem, it should be mentioned, is that they don't have the cap space to take on any big contracts. Anyone they trade for would have to be pretty cheap.

Speaking specifically of some of the guys mentioned in the OP: We can't afford Atkins, Dunlap, or Rudolph. Maybe if we got someone to take Murphy's bad contract, but that seems like a long shot.

Contracts can be restructured. 

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Contracts can be restructured. 

Theoretically, that’s true.

You’ll have to excuse me if I don’t see Brandon Beane trading for a $10million player when the Bills have only $3.5million in space and are going into a 2021 needing to re-sign Matt Milano and seeing a shrunken salary cap league-wide.

I don’t think it’s realistic that a responsible and cap-conscious guy like Beane is gonna trade for a guy the Bills can’t rightly afford, let alone an over-30 D-lineman or TE — nor do I think those guys would be the saviors fans are hoping for.

The most realistic trade scenario continues to be young guys on rookie deals. The Dalvin Tomlinsons and Josh Jackson’s. Even then, I don’t see it. I’m not saying I wouldn’t LIKE it, just that I don’t think it will happen.  

Keep in mind the Bills only have 4M in cap space, and the dead cap issue prohibits cutting/trading anyone with sizable salary. To get to 8M you'd probably have to cut 5 back of the 53 man roster players.  So if the Bills want land someone with significant salary, they'll have to throw in extra draft picks to get the other team convert salary to bonus in order to fit them into the cap.

With that said this is how I'd prioritize:

1-Technique DT

EDGE

TE

CB

RG

1) Dalvin Tomlinson. 1T who'd be an instant starter

2) Linval Joseph, the older version of Tomlinson, just a 5.5M cap hit we could make work. Would cost less draft capital. Instant upgrade at 1T

EDGE

1) Carlos Dunlop, he's got a cap hit of 11M, but I suspect the Bengals would be willing to eat a lot of that to get rid of him, but work to do to get him under the cap. Plus a questionable locker room plHayayer

2) Brandon Graham. Does he still have it? He's got a 6M cap hit this year, which rises to 17M next year, which is also his dead cap hit

3) Dexter Lawrence. He's a legit talent in his prime, but man that contract is a huge anchor. 2021 his cap hit is 25M and his dead cap 45M

TE

1) Evan Engram. Would be ideal. Big, fast, a legit pass catcher and weapon. Under utilized due to how badly the Giants are made. Just a 3.4M cap hit. Problem is that Gettlemen is a dead man walking, and it seems the Giants want to keep him around for their 5 year rebuilding project 

2) Hunter Henry. Not used much in the Charger's offense, still talented, but his 10M cap space is a bit of a struggle. He's a UFA after this season

3) Hayden Hurst. Gets some value for the Falcons, but still under utilized there. Always been a bit underwhelming but likely offers an upgrade in Buffalo as a starter. Just a 1.9M cap hit

CB

1) This is fun but Nickell Robey-Coleman, still a decent slot DB, and could slide over to the #2 as well. Just a 1.3M Cap hit, and the flounder Eagles would probably take a 4th for him

2) Casey Heyward. Legitimately one of the best corners in the NFL, but at 31 isn't probably going to be there for when the Chargers emerge as contenders, and with F/A hitting this offseason, the Chargers might just listen to offers, as they probably have little interest in resigning him for big money. Had an 11.75M cap hit which makes it tough

I went with No and No. With the upcoming salary cap drop and the people we will need to re-sign I don't see it happening. The only way I do see us making a move, that would likely be on the defensive side of the ball, is if we lay an egg against the Pats. 

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Theoretically, that’s true.

You’ll have to excuse me if I don’t see Brandon Beane trading for a $10million player when the Bills have only $3.5million in space and are going into a 2021 needing to re-sign Matt Milano and seeing a shrunken salary cap league-wide.

I don’t think it’s realistic that a responsible and cap-conscious guy like Beane is gonna trade for a guy the Bills can’t rightly afford, let alone an over-30 D-lineman or TE — nor do I think those guys would be the saviors fans are hoping for.

The most realistic trade scenario continues to be young guys on rookie deals. The Dalvin Tomlinsons and Josh Jackson’s. Even then, I don’t see it. I’m not saying I wouldn’t LIKE it, just that I don’t think it will happen.  

I agree with you.  I do think we see a trade or two, but for the type of players you described.

My comment was based on the cap being a flexible thing that can be manipulated at a GM’s discretion; it’s  not necessarily an impediment to a deal:  this off-season there are deals the Bills can get out off to create space.  What if Milano is someone they’re willing to let walk?   All of that factors in.

• Like (+1) 1