Ditch RPO, More Play-Action, Run to the Right

Back2Buff

As the season has gone on, the Bills are being too shotgun oriented with too much RPO.  Josh has never been good at reading what to do in RPO.  He keeps the ball way too much, which is making it predictable.  Devin Singletary has 4 carries this year in RPO, Josh Allen has thrown the ball 29 times from RPO and has also ran a bunch.  Good chance if the defense just sticks to going after Allen, they will be correct, more time than not.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00/splits/2020/

I look at these splits, and it pretty clear that Allen is best throwing from play action, and his worst throwing stats come from throwing from RPO.  Play to your strengths.  I also think QB running from play action is more effective than running from RPO, because the LB will usually creep up when they see the QB turn his back, versus stay patient when they can see the QBs eyes.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02/splits/2020/

Over the last three games, pretty much all Singletary does is go left.  If you look at his next gen stats back to last year, he is much more effective when he is used all over the field.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/devin-singletary/SIN186919/season

I'm sure someone will say this is o line based, but if the o line is only allowing you to become so predictable, then you have to switch your line up.  I would put Nyseke in there with Feliciano. 

I don't know why this team isn't adapting, but Belichick will eat this team alive.  All he is going to do is overload the Bills left side to stop the run, and then put a safety to the right side, because Allen struggles a lot more throwing to the left than right.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/josh-allen/ALL529264/2020/all/qb-grid

I expect more from Daboll.

• Like (+1) 5

I was actually exited to read a thread about strategy, and then it ended up being an elaborate way to jab Daboll.

Interesting analysis on the tendencies though. Definitely have to use tendency breakers against the Pats.

Their secondary is still great in coverage and extremely physical. Their D line can generate pressure up the middle. They've definitely lost quality at the line backer position. 

Belichick wrote the book last year on how to use stunts and blitzes to throw the Bills off, and Houston replicated that strategy in the playoffs.

I think Beasley needs to be a hot route security blanket for Allen, use Diggs and Davis to stretch the field and use Beasley, the RB and Kroft to take what's available underneath.

I don't see the Bills committing to run the ball, though there's a lot of tape from San Fran on how to exploit the Pats. I just don't think we have the personell. Josh is going to have to beat them through the air, take what the defense is giving them and find a way to kill their zero blitz / man coverage schemes when the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s too slow to develop. 

Too often the play is blown up by the time Allen is supposed to be choosing.

In regards to Singletary, we always used to talk about creating space with Spiller, and it never happened.

I think he needs more plays out of a traditional formation, with just straight forward runs.

Every time the Bills try to get to the edges they lose yards.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

I'll leave it to the coaches to figure out. I think the health of players has been a big hurdle to overcome this year. Brown is needed on offense to take away the focus on Diggs. Our oline is not healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'll leave it to the coaches to figure out. I think the health of players has been a big hurdle to overcome this year. Brown is needed on offense to take away the focus on Diggs. Our oline is not healthy.

Is health really an excuse when we have seen other teams come in really banged up (KC on oline) and scheme their way into incredible production?

For some reason, this offense under Daboll does not scheme game by game.  I feel like I am watching the same scheme every week, no matter what the opponent is playing or doing.  I watch these teams before we play them and can pinpoint where they are weak.  The Bills then play them, and we run the same scheme we have always ran, no matter what the other team is doing.

14 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I was actually exited to read a thread about strategy, and then it ended up being an elaborate way to jab Daboll

You're right. Ugh. 

We need TBD+ and TBD- . All the negative people who are constantly screaming the sky is falling go to the latter and all else the former. Good grief. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

Is health really an excuse when we have seen other teams come in really banged up (KC on oline) and scheme their way into incredible production?

For some reason, this offense under Daboll does not scheme game by game.  I feel like I am watching the same scheme every week, no matter what the opponent is playing or doing.  I watch these teams before we play them and can pinpoint where they are weak.  The Bills then play them, and we run the same scheme we have always ran, no matter what the other team is doing.

I don't think that's true. Designed QB runs were a big focus the first week or so, and then they all but disappeared until yesterday.

They've adjusted from using long passes down the field to short dink and dunk passes (assuming this is due to defenses covering the deep area and John Brown being out).

I think it's safe to say our team is not as good as the Chiefs. They are the best team in the league, with one of the best offensive minds ever at head coach. We caught the Titans at a rough time because they wanted to come out and make a statement. I think that game is different if the COVID stuff didn't happen and we weren't as banged up (missing our best players on defense).

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think that's true. Designed QB runs were a big focus the first week or so, and then they all but disappeared until yesterday.

They've adjusted from using long passes down the field to short dink and dunk passes (assuming this is due to defenses covering the deep area and John Brown being out).

I think it's safe to say our team is not as good as the Chiefs. They are the best team in the league, with one of the best offensive minds ever at head coach. We caught the Titans at a rough time because they wanted to come out and make a statement. I think that game is different if the COVID stuff didn't happen and we weren't as banged up (missing our best players on defense).

Our offense has fallen off a cliff.  That's not adjusting, that's just failing.  Adjusting would mean you stay at the same rate you were going prior to the other teams adjustments.

10 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Josh does not sell the RPO handoff / mesh point well at ALL. 

Needs to work on making handoffs far less conspicuous.

There is really nothing to sell when the majority of time he is just keeping it.  There are really few handoffs in RPO.  Singletary has 4 and Moss has 1.

We’re too finesse at times.

I think our offense looked better when we targeted throws to the middle of the field. 

And we’ve never seen our run game under Dabol cut out the shotgun, cut out the RPO and just line up and run it with a running back who isn’t 200 years old. 

Line up under Center, turn and hand it off. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

I was actually exited to read a thread about strategy, and then it ended up being an elaborate way to jab Daboll.

Interesting analysis on the tendencies though. Definitely have to use tendency breakers against the Pats.

Their secondary is still great in coverage and extremely physical. Their D line can generate pressure up the middle. They've definitely lost quality at the line backer position. 

Belichick wrote the book last year on how to use stunts and blitzes to throw the Bills off, and Houston replicated that strategy in the playoffs.

I think Beasley needs to be a hot route security blanket for Allen, use Diggs and Davis to stretch the field and use Beasley, the RB and Kroft to take what's available underneath.

I don't see the Bills committing to run the ball, though there's a lot of tape from San Fran on how to exploit the Pats. I just don't think we have the personell. Josh is going to have to beat them through the air, take what the defense is giving them and find a way to kill their zero blitz / man coverage schemes when the opportunity presents itself.

Be prepared to lose if you expect Josh to sit back there and throw the ball over 40 times.  This team needs to establish a run game.

• Like (+1) 1

To Daboll's favor, in the second half of the Jets game, he used Beasley with quick passes as the running game, he put the offense in good 2nd down situations. If you can, you have to exploit that if it's there for the taking. 

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

You're right. Ugh. 

We need TBD+ and TBD- . All the negative people who are constantly screaming the sky is falling go to the latter and all else the former. Good grief. 

Or perhaps those like you that are so positive and uplifting can lift up the others all on the same page?

"Take what the D is giving you." We hear it over and over again.

"We have to be patient. If the D is playing two over the top and committing to preventing big plays then we have to be able to run and pass short underneath." SO FRIGGIN DO IT!

I will need to rewatch but, from memory, there were AT LEAST 5 occasions where the back or receiver swung to the left as the outlet receiver and Josh never came back to him through his progressions. I don't mind McKenzie being a decoy for misdirection but having a top playmaker like Singletary picking daisies over by the sideline is not efficient use of talent.

Great example: start of 2QR, called double screen - fake to left then to right then threw the ball away in the end zone - right before his fumble. Instead of just throwing it away, if he looked back left he would have seen Singletary WIDE OPEN for a walk-in.

About 5 min left in half, still down 10-0, McKenzie motions left as the "fake jet-sweep" man and is standing over there waving his arms as there's no one out there. Josh throws 5 yards over the middle to Moss - no YAC. McKenzie would still be running.

The offense is much more efficient when the "O" is removed from the RPO. Call two plays and audible to the other if the alignment doesn't fit but run the play that's called. After snap "OPTION" is not helping this team.

Take what they give you.