Should the NFL adopt the college OT format?

LabattBlue

OT Format  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What say you

• Current NFL format
    • NCAA format

The format I'd like to see evolves the kicking game. 

1 OT period in its current format, if it ends in a draw, flip a coin.  Winner gets the option to make a field goal from 52 yards or defer. 

You have the option to attempt a 52 yarder to win it, or defer for a chance at a 42 yarder if it's missed. 

These games need to end in a w/l. I'd like to see sudden death come down to a kicker and add more value to the position. 

For a league that bends over backwards to video review a ball spot for 15 minutes to be sure it's right, I can't understand why they don't make sure overtime is balanced. You have to give both teams the same number of possessions. Playing defense is not the same as getting the ball. You cannot convince me otherwise.

• Like (+1) 2

After watching the Bills inside the 25 yesterday.  God no.

3 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

The NFL should go back to a true "sudden death" format and play until there is a winner.

Offenses are too good now so you'd pry see the winner of the coin flip when about 60% of the games.  It was around 54% before the OT format change I believe but a touchback also put you at the 20 yard line at the time.

Never. Ever. Ever.

I hope I die before that happens. And I'm young.

(Sorry guys. This is one of the few football things I'm passionate about. I hate college overtime rules.)

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

No to silly gimmicks in pro football.

It's basically a game of 500. So stupid. And it runs up the score needlessly.

• Like (+1) 1

Madden has an online feature called Super Star KO. It's pretty fun. You pick 3 stars, and then each win you get to pick another star to add to your team.

Here's the format. Each team gets one drive from their own 25. No kicking, no punts no fgs. Highest points win, have to go for 2.

If it's tied, the ball gets put on the 50, and each team has 4 plays, alternating in a "tug of war." The opposing O gets the ball where where it was downed on the previous play. If one team scores a TD it's over. At the end of 4 plays each, what ever side the ball is on the team wins.

So if your team has the ball for the last play, you have to get over the 50 yard line into the opponents territory to win.

Edited by Motorin'

3 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

I don’t remember a time in the regular season where OT was “play until someone wins”?

Looking through the old standings, there were ties in the 80's, 90's and 2000's.  When OT was first approved, I am pretty sure, it was 1 OT period, and then a tie when that period ended.  How could that be if they "played until someone wins"?

That is what I was questioning.  

Gotcha. In that case, you are right, it was a time-limited sudden death as opposed to a play 'til someone wins scenario. Sorry!

Edited by johnnychemo

21 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

I guess maybe the better question would have been, how does the NFL eliminate the tie games(which the NCAA has figured out)?  Nothing worse than a tie...unless your a soccer fan.

Less than half of one percent of games ends in a tie.  Is it really that big a problem?

Edited by KD in CA