Should the NFL adopt the college OT format?

LabattBlue

OT Format  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What say you

• Current NFL format
    • NCAA format

1 minute ago, Back the Blue said:

Especially with OT being reduced to 10 minutes(I think this was implemented last year), I’d really like to see the NFL adopt the NCAA OT format.  No kickoffs, no punts, no potential ties & MUCH MORE EXCITING.

Nope.

I realize OT rules will always be somewhat artificial -- in other words, something that deviates from the normal rules that govern winning and losing. So in some way we're trying to force a satisfying (for the fans and standings) win or loss when the truth is that the teams played to a draw.

But even understanding that, I want OT rules to be as close as possible to normal rules. The current NFL system isn't great, but I like it a whole lot better than the college system, which is even more arbitrary.

• Like (+1) 1

If they were to adopt the college format starting position would probably need to be moved back to like the 40 yard line.  Field goals in college are much more of a crap shoot than in the NFL.  I think the NFL is mostly concerned about game length and that's why they reduced overtime to 10 minutes.  

8 minutes ago, Process said:

Definitely not. I like the current format but need to go back to 15 minutes. 10 minutes is stupid.

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Put 15:00 on the clock and just play football. 

No more fake/artificial circumstances added to the game. 

Yes, bring it back to what it used to be.

The only change I would make is that each team gets at least one offensive possession, after that it's sudden death. Simple.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

Especially with OT being reduced to 10 minutes(I think this was implemented last year), I’d really like to see the NFL adopt the NCAA OT format.  No kickoffs, no punts, no potential ties & MUCH MORE EXCITING.

Nope - really dislike the college rules.  It cheapens the entire game and I much prefer the NFL OT.

17 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

This was never a thing...except come playoff time. 

Umm...no.

Sudden death was a thing until 2012 in the regular season.

Fun fact, Overtime wasn't in the NFL rule book until 1974.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/new-nfl-overtime-rules-ot-format-change-proposal/gczb9hxqtd3l1q04cifck0p8h#:~:text=It wasn't until 1974,was amended for playoff games.

I say...combine the current system and the college format! It'll be just like the NHL - a few minutes of regular play then a "shootout!"

(tongue embedded firmly in cheek!)

37 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

Just stop.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, johnnychemo said:

Umm...no.

Sudden death was a thing until 2012 in the regular season.

Fun fact, Overtime wasn't in the NFL rule book until 1974.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/new-nfl-overtime-rules-ot-format-change-proposal/gczb9hxqtd3l1q04cifck0p8h#:~:text=It wasn't until 1974,was amended for playoff games.

I say...combine the current system and the college format! It'll be just like the NHL - a few minutes of regular play then a "shootout!"

(tongue embedded firmly in cheek!)

I don’t remember a time in the regular season where OT was “play until someone wins”?

Looking through the old standings, there were ties in the 80's, 90's and 2000's.  When OT was first approved, I am pretty sure, it was 1 OT period, and then a tie when that period ended.  How could that be if they "played until someone wins"?

That is what I was questioning.  

Edited by Back the Blue

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

NO!

That times 10

I went with stick with whats there.   

The current rules give both teams the opportunity to possess the ball at least once in overtime unless the team that receives the overtime kickoff scores a touchdown on its first possession.

which is far better than a FG or a TD on the first drive won it. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

1 hour ago, Back the Blue said:

It seems highly unlikely that the team that loses the toss would get a chance for a decent 2nd possession with the 10 minute OT period which makes the NFL rule even worse, imo.  The NCAA rule is better but the NFL would not want any scenario close to the multiple OT sessions we have seen in the college ranks, especially given the normal viewing windows.  Here's one headline:

"WMU beats Buffalo in record-tying 7 overtimes, setting new FBS scoring record"  

56 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, bring it back to what it used to be.

The only change I would make is that each team gets at least one offensive possession, after that it's sudden death. Simple.

Yes.  I do agree with this.  You need to minimize the impact of winning the coin flip.  For those that argue it's the job of the defense to stop the opposing offense, so often when the teams go to OT, the defenses are exhausted.  If the team that wins the coin flip scores a TD on the first possession, the other team should get a possession and be allowed to counter.  If they fail...game over.

• Like (+1) 1