Expect trades this week

BillsMafi$

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I swear I’ve had better discussions with a wall. WHO IS AGAINST IT? Where did I ever say I was against it? I simply asked multiple times where do you get the cap space? 

You said originally that we have enough talent and that Beane doesn't owe fans anything. Don't delude yourself with the defense played against the woeful Jets, who are trying to lose to get Lawrence. The Bills looked clueless against LA, Tenn and KC defensively. Our defense was elite last year. We need a spark. I wouldn't disparage conversational walls. They have a place in society. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I wonder if they could make it work cap wise if they could trade for Atkins or Dunlap and release Murphy?

If I understood correctly they save nothing cutting Murphy. They have to trade his salary away to free the room. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

You said originally that we have enough talent and that Beane doesn't owe fans anything. Don't delude yourself with the defense played against the woeful Jets, who are trying to lose to get Lawrence. The Bills looked clueless against LA, Tenn and KC defensively. Our defense was elite last year. We need a spark. I wouldn't disparage conversational walls. They have a place in society. 

They certainly have the talent to compete defensively as is. You keep pointing out previous games but can we assume this is as good as this defense can play? EVERYONE would like to add talent. Beane, mcd, Jimmy at McDonald’s, everyone. I don’t think I’ve seen one person say they don’t want to add talent to the defense. But once again here we are.... How? Tomlinson from the giants is a realistic option the team can afford. Golden was close to salary we could afford. Yannick no way unless they attached salary to give away. Dunlap and Atkins probably are not, unless you can unload salary along with draft picks in the trade. That’s the whole point. Real life, not madden. How do you work the cap to fit in a larger salary than you can afford when there’s not many cuts to make, or restructures to do currently. 

39 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yeah - I mean living through the 0 for the 70’s, the end of OJ, Joe Ferguson, the lovely 2-14 mid eighties- you’re right - I never bled - I never sat in the end zone during the 51-3 playoff game and cheered and cried with my fellow fans.  

Yes - we finally have a tandem coach and GM that has given us reason to believe, but they do not owe us a trade that costs us in the future.  They owe us to be rational and smart - to make deals so that we can enjoy the next 10 years and be relevant - rather than make that deal that will look great and then when we can’t re-sign Milano and the defense gets worse next year - we go back to perpetual 7-9.

I think they have looked at the big picture and will do what is the best interest of this team now and going forward and if that means no trades - so be it and if that means multiple trades great.  I want them to do what they feel is in the best long term interest of the team.

Enjoy the next 10 years being irrelevant for the last 20. Being 0 for the Super Bowl era. Having a big time QB and an elite defense one year and regressing after spending a ton of money in the off season. You don't worry about long term relevance in the age of free agency. The loss of Brady has opened up the division and we have an opportunity now. Our ownership is outstanding  and our window is JAs rookie contract. We should be looking to go deep into the playoffs and create an environment that is inviting to free agents. Remember, this just started to be a desireable destination  since we made the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years.

13 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Enjoy the next 10 years being irrelevant for the last 20. Being 0 for the Super Bowl era. Having a big time QB and an elite defense one year and regressing after spending a ton of money in the off season. You don't worry about long term relevance in the age of free agency. The loss of Brady has opened up the division and we have an opportunity now. Our ownership is outstanding  and our window is JAs rookie contract. We should be looking to go deep into the playoffs and create an environment that is inviting to free agents. Remember, this just started to be a desireable destination  since we made the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years.

So the Bills will be irrelevant for the next 10 years if we don’t make a trade that you feel is owed to the fans.  Got it.  Makes no sense, but ok.

The loss of Brady has opened the division and currently we are 1.5 games up - so seems the GM and HC have thought about that. 

The point is our window should not be just JA’s rookie contract, but his entire 15+ year career.  The HC and GM are making a desirable destination making the playoffs 2 of the last 3 and once they win this division this year 3 out of 4.

None of that changes if they make or do not make a trade.  What does have to be considered is does a trade this year cost us players next year and beyond.  Does bringing in a rental player for the end of this year mean we lose draft picks and players and what impact does that have.

Again - they owe you nothing - the HC and GM have repeatedly spoken about building a winner and a sustainable winning culture and that to me is more important than blowing a load this year and falling back into the same problems we have had year over year under prior regimes.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Well you threw 5 stats out there. 2 of which aren’t impacted by per game stats and 3 of which are...that’s why I asked the question. 

You also left out Josh’s 631 yards rushing and 8 touchdowns there... we can add rushing to the mix because that’s a big part of his game. 

Darnold 230 Y/G, 3.6 INT%,  77.6 RATING, 57.7 COMP% and 16 total TD in 13 games. 

Allen 224 Y/G, 3.8 INT%, 68 RATING, 52 COMP% and 18 total TD in 11 games. 

Darnold also lead the Jets to a come from behind victory over Allen in their head to head matchup that year.

It was capped by an absolutely great play where he left Kyle Williams flopping like a fish as he scrambled around and threw a dime for a TD.

Josh came out with a chance to take the lead back...........and instead threw a bad interception to seal the defeat.

At that point late in their rookie years the Bills had the better team but Darnold had upset them in Orchard Park and was, as previously noted.......clearly the more efficient passer.

I think it's very reasonable to wonder if the chaotic Jets organization hasn't sabotaged a QB who could have been very good right now if he were in a better place.

4 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

20 years in purgatory, with incompetence at the helm, featuring numerous head coaches and qbs, and the fans support in a small market providing one of the top 3 homefield advantages in the NFL. Yea, he owes us.

Home field advantage?  Players knew (I have talked to some) that if you got the ball in 2nd half you had an opportunity since most of fans would be in bathroom, smoking illegally or in lines for beer.

43 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

So the Bills will be irrelevant for the next 10 years if we don’t make a trade that you feel is owed to the fans.  Got it.  Makes no sense, but ok.

The loss of Brady has opened the division and currently we are 1.5 games up - so seems the GM and HC have thought about that. 

The point is our window should not be just JA’s rookie contract, but his entire 15+ year career.  The HC and GM are making a desirable destination making the playoffs 2 of the last 3 and once they win this division this year 3 out of 4.

None of that changes if they make or do not make a trade.  What does have to be considered is does a trade this year cost us players next year and beyond.  Does bringing in a rental player for the end of this year mean we lose draft picks and players and what impact does that have.

Again - they owe you nothing - the HC and GM have repeatedly spoken about building a winner and a sustainable winning culture and that to me is more important than blowing a load this year and falling back into the same problems we have had year over year under prior regimes.

A winning culture is getting better each year. Going from elite to allowing pts and yards at the bottom of the league after spending a ton of free agent money on underperformers on defense is not building anything. This group needs another tackle, or a linebacker to defend the run and a corner to replace Norman or Wallace, who get targeted every week and are nicked up to boot. Stop worrying about blowing a load and hold Beane responsible to fix this problem. As it is , the spending last off season was the blown load if we can't fix this.

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

I wonder if they could make it work cap wise if they could trade for Atkins or Dunlap and release Murphy?

Give me Dalvin Thomlinson over either of those two. We need a NT toss which they aren't as well both over aged. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

A winning culture is getting better each year. Going from elite to allowing pts and yards at the bottom of the league after spending a ton of free agent money on underperformers on defense is not building anything. This group needs another tackle, or a linebacker to defend the run and a corner to replace Norman or Wallace, who get targeted every week and are nicked up to boot. Stop worrying about blowing a load and hold Beane responsible to fix this problem. As it is , the spending last off season was the blown load if we can't fix this.

In retrospect Beanes biggest blunders this off-season were replacing Jordan Phillips with Butler and giving Klein so much money. As the LB depth sucks and injuries in the secondary have hurt yet bring back Norman and Wallace to play together our pass defense should improve with Jackson getting more playing time.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

In retrospect Beanes biggest blunders this off-season were replacing Jordan Phillips with Butler and giving Klein so much money. As the LB depth sucks and injuries in the secondary have hurt yet bring back Norman and Wallace to play together our pass defense should improve with Jackson getting more playing time.

Did you ever think the loss of Phillips would be so devastating. The guy was something special and his impact made Oliver, Murphy and Hughes better. Edmund's and Milano were better last year as well.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, mannc said:

Why would the Cowboys do that?  So they can get to 5-11 or 6-10?  Do you think making the playoffs with a losing record and getting trounced in the first round is something Jerry Jones will mortgage the future for?  

Gotta feel bad for that division winner.  Losing a playoff game and a top 15 pick Lol.

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Just put him on IR and trade for a true one tech. I think rather than trade him for a bag of peanuts it is probably better to IR him and allow him to fully recover from his 2019 injury. Then bring him back to 2021 camp and see how he performs. He was a stud the first five games of 2019 before his injury. I think he clearly hasn't recovered from that injury. Give him the rest of the season and offseason to fully get back before dumping him. 

Yeah he needs time to get healthy. He was a decent run stopper when he was fully healthy. He is still on his rookie deal makes no sense to move him. 

Something nobody notes when taking about Lawson and Phillips is that Beane could have paid them, but didn’t want long term deals in place.  

The guys we signed can all be cut this offseason with minimal cap hit.  

Out of all the names getting tossed around Dalvin Tomlinson is the player that I think makes the most sense.  Many have speculated because the Bills need help at 1DT and because Beane worked under Dave Gettleman.  

But, I’m not convinced Gettleman is even to trade him. While it would make sense, you can argue that there’s a chance he won’t even be around to use the draft capital he could acquire for Tomlinson in a trade. 

Also as poorly as NYG has played this season they are a few plays away from being first in the NFC East.  

If I am a GM on the bubble I’m in “win now” mode rather than thinking of the future 

Edited by JohnNord