Expect trades this week

BillsMafi$

2 hours ago, ytownblofan said:

I fully expect Harry Phillips to be shipped out. I would be surprised if we bring in 2 players just based on the compensation we would have to give up

I think there’s going to be cheap compensation for trades with folks happy to get anything while clearing space before next year. If you aren’t a contender and you are planning to have to cut a guy for the 2021 cap struggle - any pick you receive is a nice perk and you could potentially lessen the dead money.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I would not be surprised to see us trade for Dunlap or Atkins from the Bengals.

Atkins has a bum knee that probably needs surgery. Eh. Dunlap, what is he at this point in his career? If we’re making a trade, I want a difference maker, not just some other guy, which is what we have on the edges.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think there’s going to be cheap compensation for trades with folks happy to get anything while clearing space before next year. If you aren’t a contender and you are planning to have to cut a guy for the 2021 cap struggle - any pick you receive is a nice perk and you could potentially lessen the dead money.

I tend to think this way too.  We will find out very soon.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Dallas calls the Jets about Darnold. Yes the Cowboys suck but that whole division sucks. Didn't Dalton get hurt yesterday. The Jets look like they are ready to move on from Darnold as they are looking at Trevor Lawrence for the future.

Jets cannot afford to trade Darnold, get lucky and win 3 or 4 games, and then miss out on Lawrence in the draft.

Darnold will go after Lawrence has been acquired IMO, or the Jets know they are going to acquire him.  I.E., they have secured the #1 draft pick.  

if we can ship out murphy and harrison philips (assuming the front office is done w harry) then i'll take mercilus and a big body from either of the NY teams.  if we are really gonna run a nickle only D, we need more D linemen.  i would like a real SAM but i don't know that we can change our scheme mid season.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

This is a variant of the absolute worst take in the history of Bills message boards:  “[Insert superstar player’s name] would have sucked if we had drafted him because [insert excuse].”  What we know is that Allen is a franchise QB and Darnold is soon to be a backup somewhere.  And for the record, Allen has been better than Darnold well before he got Diggs, etc.

This is exactly correct. Josh was ballin' and showed glimpses of what he can be when all we had were Zay Jones, K. Benjamin, R. Foster, F. Gore and the other misfits.

18 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Dunlap wants the bleep OUT of this town. I'd take him right this second.

Funny you mention this. Look at the first team name on best fits. Bills, Bills, Bills

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-trade-deadline-best-fits-for-bengals-who-want-out-including-a-j-green-and-carlos-dunlap/

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ytownblofan said:

I fully expect Harry Phillips to be shipped out. I would be surprised if we bring in 2 players just based on the compensation we would have to give up

Just put him on IR and trade for a true one tech. I think rather than trade him for a bag of peanuts it is probably better to IR him and allow him to fully recover from his 2019 injury. Then bring him back to 2021 camp and see how he performs. He was a stud the first five games of 2019 before his injury. I think he clearly hasn't recovered from that injury. Give him the rest of the season and offseason to fully get back before dumping him. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Jets cannot afford to trade Darnold, get lucky and win 3 or 4 games, and then miss out on Lawrence in the draft.

Darnold will go after Lawrence has been acquired IMO, or the Jets know they are going to acquire him.  I.E., they have secured the #1 draft pick. 

It could just be me, but to my football eyes such as they are, the Jets are more likely to win a few games with Darnold than with Flacco

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yeah he really had next to no shot in NYC, wonder how long or if he can ever regain his potential. It must be how players used to feel about getting traded/drafted by the Bills.  Sure does seem nice for a change.

Jets coaching has been pretty bad for awhile.  Todd Bowles and Adam Gase.  And Rex before them were all lousy.  (at least Rex was at the end w the Jets)  Darnold looks like a deer in headlights with any pressure on him.  He needs a new start someplace else with a coach who is going to build up the guys confidence.  Right now I don't know if he can even get to the level of say a Case Keenum.  The Bills coaching of Josh Allen has been solid.  But the second half of the schedule after playing the Patriots is going to be tough.  (Patriots game will not be easy either regardless of how they have been playing of late)  We'll see how competitive McDermott has us playing.  There is a big difference between being a decent coach and being a very good to elite coach.  These upcoming 9 games should give us some indication of what McDermott really is.     

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I totally understand what you’re getting at.. but it can be argued Darnold was given a better chance to succeed from the get go. You seem to argue that 2019 was better because the Bills went out and got Josh some competent help... which I agree. 

Robby Anderson, Chris Herndon and Quincy Enunwa were much better options than Zay Jones, Robert Foster and a few games of Kelvin Benjamin in 2018. The Jets went out and got Bell and Crowder in 2019 when we got Brown and Beasley. It’s not like Darnold hasn’t been given weapons to use. 

This.

I think Darnold was placed in a better situation in 2018.  Experienced vet mentor QB in the room from the get-go, OC who had been with the team the previous year as QB coach so he knew the staff and the players, somewhat better OL IMO and better RBs, better WR.

But from there, despite fair attempts to add talent on offense to the Jets, Darnold suffered from bringing in (IMO) a bad HC with a ? OC (because unclear how much is Gase and how much is him, are they working together or against each other etc).

At this point, there's no doubt that Allen is in a better situation: continuity at OC and HC, much improved receiving corps, injured now but overall improvement on OL.

There's one other factor.  Allen is fundamentally a scrappy kid from nowhere who blossomed physically thus had his unattainable dream to be an NFL starting QB come into reach.  He's used to playing on teams where he basically WAS the offense, encouraging and lifting other players up, and leading the way.  Sam Darnold has a touch of the annointed about him IMO - played for a competitive HS, 4 star recruit, multiple scholarship offers to multiple good programs,  awards, Rose Bowl.  He's always played for good programs with good talent I believe (I don't follow college football so could be wrong).

Jon Feliciano quipped on twitter after the Titans game:

Probably some truth there.  Josh wants to play football and he don't care.  Protections break down?  Fine, I'll get myself out of trouble.  No run game?  Fine, I'll run.  Etc.

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Let's go all in for realzies... Joey Bosa or JJ Watt, plus Ryan Kerrigan and Harrison Smith. Would also love Rudolph at TE for cheap. Also of course go hard at McCaffrey and Vander Esch:wub:

I have to admit I missed the origins of this "I have a crush on all the good white players in the NFL" schtick. 

I'm not sure how it started or what its deal is.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

Owes it to the fanbase? 😂. The last thing a GM should do is be dictated to by the fans or media. 

20 years in purgatory, with incompetence at the helm, featuring numerous head coaches and qbs, and the fans support in a small market providing one of the top 3 homefield advantages in the NFL. Yea, he owes us.

• Haha (+1) 1