Week 8: Patriots at Bills

YoloinOhio

Interesting read on how the Niners used the pats coverage against them:

Everyone knows the Patriots are a predominant man coverage team. How’s Shanahan use the Patriots coverage against them? By running the receivers off and using Deebo Samuel as an outlet wideout underneath.

Samuel’s first reception was a simple swing pass out of the backfield that went for 23 yards. There was no New England defender near him, thanks to Shanahan’s design. Three plays later, Shanahan runs “four verticals,” but uses Jeff Wilson Jr. as one of the vertical routes. This leaves Samuel underneath with a player wearing No. 51 to guard him. In a surprise to nobody, Samuel beats the linebacker to the edge and picks up 14 yards.

That was on the first drive of the game. The 49ers motion created bigger throwing lanes for Garoppolo. Kyle leaned on play-action more than ever. The 49ers either ran by design or used play-action on 51 of their 63 offensive plays (81%), their highest percentage of such plays in a game since ESPN began tracking in 2008, and the highest for any team in a game this season.

Garoppolo went 6-for-7 over the intermediate portion of the field for 100 yards. 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/10/26/21533889/four-takeaways-from-the-49ers-blowout-win-over-the-patriots-bully-ball-is-back
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I freakin dare them to play man against us...that’s a bet I’ll take all day long.

Just now, Gene1973 said:

No, McVay made adjustments McDermott could not handle on defense... Not sure what is so hard to understand here tbh.

I'm truly confounded by how you would bring up the Rams game it the context of running up the score? Does not compute.

Wait, what?

You specifically said that the Bills under McDermott would stop trying to score when they get a lead, and now you’re saying that you don’t understand why I’m asking what the offensive play calling was like when they had a 28-3 lead this year?

Really?

Either you totally lost track of the discussion or you’re messing with me...

1 minute ago, High Football IQ said:

Historical data and trends matter especially against a team we haven't beaten at home in 9 years.

Pats are the proverbial wounded animal and in a dangerous spot right now and we are simply catching them at the wrong time on the schedule sadly.

Did the bills lose already?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Exactly. Like they teach in journalism school: once is nothing, two is a coincidence, three is a trend. 

Or as Goldfinger said:

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it’s enemy action.

19 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

The Bills scored to make it 28-3 then the Rams started scoring like mad, when was there ever a time the Bills had a chance to run up the score late in the game like the Pats used to? I don't get it man... 

Belichick and Brady for a while there made it a habit to keep throwing the ball to the very end eventhough they were creaming an opponent, that is "running up the score". Or as Belichick used to call it "playing to win". The Rams game in this scenario makes zero sense...

The Bills were up 28-10 and Allen was heaving deep throws—including the one that Kroft caught that was somehow deemed an INT.

Your original point was that “McConservative” won’t try to run up the score, but instead simply play to protect a lead if his team ever (hypothetically) got a 2-score lead.

33 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

No, McVay made adjustments McDermott could not handle on defense... Not sure what is so hard to understand here tbh.

I'm truly confounded by how you would bring up the Rams game it the context of running up the score? Does not compute.

Gene...you're not keeping up.

We were up by 17 points.  We threw the ball downfield to Kroft who catches it but the refs gave the INT to the Rams.  How is it conservative throwing downfield up by 17?

We were up 21-3 on the Jets in week 1 and were still going aggressive on offense.  Allen just turned the ball over twice in the redzone.  That's not on McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Sell out defending the run and stick white on Edelman all game. 

Agreed, think that's the ideal plan on defense. The one thing I will add to that is having a spy on Newton who is still a threat to run especially this year when he doesn't look comfortable throwing the ball. We need to take away Edelman and force Cam to beat us with his arm. 

From a personnel standpoint, I thought Vernon Butler has stepped up and begun to take over that 1-Tech role over the past couple games which is great to see (Zimmer has been good there at times as well). This is awesome for our defense for two reasons: 1) those guys provide more size and run stuff ability in the middle and 2) it allows Ed Oliver to play 3-Tech which is where he belongs and he can penetrate and blow up plays. I've seen a few people getting on Oliver's case this year, but other than a few games where he clearly wasn't healthy, I think he's had an excellent second season so far. His impact goes far beyond the stat sheet and I think more production is coming. 

I also like the juice that some of the younger guys have brought to the defense in recent weeks. Excited to see more from Epenesa, Zimmer, Dane Jackson, etc. 

Lastly, moving Jerry Hughes back to the LDE spot where he has played in past seasons has provided big returns already. Addison usually plays on the left too and started the season there, but I like the matchup of Hughes' speed and bend versus the opponents' right tackle more. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about our defense this week. Just hoping that Josh and our offense can level up over our past performances vs NE. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

When is the last time the pats beat us without Brady under center? 

I think it was the Matt Cassel game in Buffalo where there were 50 MPH winds. The Pats****** played with 7 OLmen all game and we lined up in a nickel 😂

Without looking I believe we lost 10-0

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Tuel Time said:

Both teams kind of suck right now. The Pats suck worse, so I'll take the Bills. Wouldn't bet my house on it though.

Both team kind of suck? The Bills are 4-2 with losses to 2 of the top 6 teams in football.

Edited by thebandit27

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Both team kind of suck? The Bills are 4-2 with losses to 2 of the top 6 teams in football.

Yes they do. They've been playing poorly. Have you not been watching?

I said "right now". And anyone who watched the last 3 games would need to agree.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I think it was the Matt Cassel game in Buffalo where there were 50 MPH winds. The Pats****** played with 7 OLmen all game and we lined up in a nickel 😂

Without looking I believe we lost 10-0

Good memory, I remember the one time Brady missed a game and we shut them out but I have no idea what year that was.

4 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Newton's throwing motion looks like it did last season when he was playing with a right shoulder injury.  Maybe all the running in the first few weeks has him injured again.  He was routinely bouncing passes in front of open receivers.  Nothing about his performance yesterday has me worried about the upcoming game.  The only thing that bothers me right now is Dabol's play selection in the red zone. Beasley was open at the goal line repeatedly with no targets. Running Singletary into the weak side of the formation with no lead block failed repeatedly also. It was one of his worse games as a play caller.  Hopefully, he sees the need to change things up to play Bellicheat.

This times a million. They hit the Jets RZ and then forgot about Beasley who has been eating teams in the middle which drove me crazy.