Week 8: Patriots at Bills

YoloinOhio

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So question here.  Diggs ran I think a 4.44.  Is the difference of 0.08 sec truly that significant in playing speed?

Agree that Brown adds a lot, no question.

Think about how far the average receiver runs on a route.. i'm guessing it is 10 to 20 yards in total?  So that's about a quarter to a half of the 40 yard dash.  Which would mean the difference of 0.08 is somewhere between a quarter and a half of that difference on an average route.  That's probably not enough for clear separation in a straight line run of 10 or 20 yards.  Most short/intermediate runs aren't straight line runs, so that's even less separation due to pure speed.  But on a deep go route or other extended routes.. you bet that can create separation

edit:  the other part of that coin is the fear of the faster receiver running a deep route... which can give you separation in your shorter routes because the defender has to be extra careful not to be beat over the top by a speedster

Edited by berg1029

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

To me it seems our Motion has slowed way down compared to weeks 1-4, but this number is still showing we are still in the top end of the league.

I think they have to have 3 consecutive clean tests, So I dont think we will hear anything on them until tomorrow

This is a tough knot to chew through because of all the changes.  Based on what I understand:

1) contacts need 5 days plus 2 negative tests 24 hrs apart at the end of those 5 days.  So if our TE were close contacts on Friday in meetings, 5 days is Weds.  Does that mean they can return Weds pm or Thurs, provided they have had negative tests Tues and Weds am?  I *think* they would have to wait until Thurs (Weds am test results reported Thurs am)

2) positive test with symptoms need at least 10 days since symptoms started.  Knox tested positive based on a Fri am test but presumably didn't have symptoms at that point.  Hypothetically, let's say he developed symptoms Saturday, then he has to be out until at least through next Monday. 

BUT the "devil in the details" may be the "local regulations and requirements are satisfied fine print at the bottom".  NYS may still require 14 days of quarantine (for exposure) and 14 days of isolation (for positive test).

This is the NFL's original protocol (click to embiggen)

image.thumb.png.06a2559e4a98235d9217ba44990c68a4.png

After the Titans covid-19 outbreak there were changes:

"Any team employee judged to be a close contact of someone who has had a confirmed positive test will be considered "high risk" and thus will be required to remain away from the team facility until five days have passed since the exposure. Depending on the timing of the exposure, that change could force a player to miss a game even if he has not yet produced (or never does produce) a confirmed positive test."

Buffalo is so due, overdue for a broken coverage, long TD where the WR or RB runs free.  This would be a great week for one.   Also a pick six would be nice.  Also a ST touchdown would be nice.  All the kind of things NE does to Buffalo to win games.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

Buffalo is so due, overdue for a broken coverage, long TD where the WR or RB runs free.  This would be a great week for one.   Also a pick six would be nice.  Also a ST touchdown would be nice.  All the kind of things NE does to Buffalo to win games.

We had one last week...unfortunately Kroft got bit by the turf monster 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

We had one last week...unfortunately Kroft got bit by the turf monster 

I give Beluga....I mean, Kroft....props that he 1) appeared out of the coverage and made the catch despite sleep-deprivation from the arrival of "Baby B" 2) kept running 3) didn't lose the ball when he fell

But Man....that was hard to watch.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

To me it seems our Motion has slowed way down compared to weeks 1-4, but this number is still showing we are still in the top end of the league.

I think they have to have 3 consecutive clean tests, So I dont think we will hear anything on them until tomorrow

Seems like a fairly clear correlation between the better teams in the league (minus Washington) and who uses pre-snap motion the most.

I thought our offense looked a lot better when we were running more jet sweeps and making the opposing team defend every inch of the field in Weeks 1-4 as you said. Seems like a great week to bring it back given the limited mobility of NE's linebackers. 

Also, am I the only one who laughs every time I see 'Washington Football Team'? Or even better, the graphic above lists them as 'Tbdname' LOLOL. What a mess that organization is (although Riverboat Ron was a good hire/starting point to maybe MAYBE turning them around). 

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I have a feeling this is what we are going to see from Norman all year, more time Not playing than playing.

I wish the Bills would just IR him - I feel like it's a given he's going to miss 2-3 more games and be "rusty" or "not 100%" coming back from this

I am not a big Wallace fan, but healthy motivated Wallace >>> "rusty" hampered Norman

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This pleases me. He’s the guy they need back for this game.

I imagine that Gilmore will draw Brown and they’ll roll a double on Diggs. That probably means they zone the middle. Bease knows how to work those zones, but it would be great if our backs and TEs could show up in the passing game this week—if they can, I think we can make it ugly.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Seems like a fairly clear correlation between the better teams in the league (minus Washington) and who uses pre-snap motion the most.

I thought our offense looked a lot better when we were running more jet sweeps and making the opposing team defend every inch of the field in Weeks 1-4 as you said. Seems like a great week to bring it back given the limited mobility of NE's linebackers. 

Also, am I the only one who laughs every time I see 'Washington Football Team'? Or even better, the graphic above lists them as 'Tbdname' LOLOL. What a mess that organization is (although Riverboat Ron was a good hire/starting point to maybe MAYBE turning them around). 

Agreed.  We saw much less mckenzie in motion vs the titans and chiefs iirc.  Was good to see it back in the fold last week.  The reverse was a bust as Moss would’ve ran for 10-30 on that play, but the more a D has to be worried about, the better for our O

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I imagine that Gilmore will draw Brown and they’ll roll a double on Diggs. That probably means they zone the middle. Bease knows how to work those zones, but it would be great if our backs and TEs could show up in the passing game this week—if they can, I think we can make it ugly.

Will they run out 4 wide? Gabriel Davis seems to thrive when brown is out there 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Think about how far the average receiver runs on a route.. i'm guessing it is 10 to 20 yards in total?  So that's about a quarter to a half of the 40 yard dash.  Which would mean the difference of 0.08 is somewhere between a quarter and a half of that difference on an average route.  That's probably not enough for clear separation in a straight line run of 10 or 20 yards.  Most short/intermediate runs aren't straight line runs, so that's even less separation due to pure speed.  But on a deep go route or other extended routes.. you bet that can create separation

edit:  the other part of that coin is the fear of the faster receiver running a deep route... which can give you separation in your shorter routes because the defender has to be extra careful not to be beat over the top by a speedster

All that you say makes sense, but I was even going deeper.  The 40 time is measured in "pajamas" and track shoes, right?  And it depends upon stuff like getting a good start and running with good form. 

Small differences in 40 time, seems to me, can easily be swallowed by how well a guy translates that speed to cleats, pad, helmet, play after play.  And how well he trains and maintains his body year after year.

Josh Allen had kind of a mediocre 40 time that wouldn't imply he was a particular rushing threat, but I think most guys who try to catch him in the open field would say he plays faster than that.

I think Diggs plays faster than his 40 time.

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

One of the more promising (and quiet) developments last week is that our backs and TE had 32% of the targets and 33% of the completions

That's with Singletary 2 receptions on 5 targets (I haven't looked at how many I think he should have had - anyone?)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This man literally says the same thing, week-in, week-out to questions.  He gives THE most boring interview of any coach.  He has zero animation.  He would flat line a heart monitor.