Week 8: Patriots at Bills

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Agreed, think that's the ideal plan on defense. The one thing I will add to that is having a spy on Newton who is still a threat to run especially this year when he doesn't look comfortable throwing the ball. We need to take away Edelman and force Cam to beat us with his arm. 

From a personnel standpoint, I thought Vernon Butler has stepped up and begun to take over that 1-Tech role over the past couple games which is great to see (Zimmer has been good there at times as well). This is awesome for our defense for two reasons: 1) those guys provide more size and run stuff ability in the middle and 2) it allows Ed Oliver to play 3-Tech which is where he belongs and he can penetrate and blow up plays. I've seen a few people getting on Oliver's case this year, but other than a few games where he clearly wasn't healthy, I think he's had an excellent second season so far. His impact goes far beyond the stat sheet and I think more production is coming. 

I also like the juice that some of the younger guys have brought to the defense in recent weeks. Excited to see more from Epenesa, Zimmer, Dane Jackson, etc. 

Lastly, moving Jerry Hughes back to the LDE spot where he has played in past seasons has provided big returns already. Addison usually plays on the left too and started the season there, but I like the matchup of Hughes' speed and bend versus the opponents' right tackle more. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about our defense this week. Just hoping that Josh and our offense can level up over our past performances vs NE. 

He’s been struggling at 1 tech. Has played much better at 3

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He’s been struggling at 1 tech. Has played much better at 3

Honest question...do you have stats handy for this (please and thanks)? My eyes have read it differently I guess...I know Butler can play both (seemingly all our current DTs can and I think that's played a part in the early season struggles), but I thought he was doing well at 1T and getting some push. Butler also has the size/stature to play 1T on paper compared to anyone else on the roster. Oliver and Jefferson are way too small to be playing 1T in my opinion and 3T suits their skill sets a lot better. 

Bill Belichick has always had losing record without Brady ( 51-65)  and that includes with the patriots (20-23). Belicheck can be very successfully in the system he likes but that requires the players that are best suited to play in that system and he currently does not have the QB, WR or TE's to make that system work.

The pats are done. They are not going to get any better this year.The offense looked like a high-school team and on defense San Fran was moving the ball at will against them with basic play calling. Without the Patriots mystique that has been built up over the years and the fear that other teams feel when playing them because of it I bet SF could have put up 50 points on them.

This should be any easy win for us. Anything less will be a disappointment.

You heard it here first

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

You need to take into account how Our opponents started to play us.....with 2 deep safeties and giving us the short game.  That’s why things have changed.  Josh would still be throwing haymakers all over the field if teams were playing our WRs 1 on 1 with little help over the top.  That’s not the case.  They’re forcing us to nickel and dime them to death with hopes that Allen will make a mistake along the way.  It’s worked when Allen tries to get aggressive and forces passes

This ^

When teams faced the Bills last season, it was “stop the run and force Allen to play quarterback”.

The first four opponents we faced this year did the same thing, only Allen responsed by playing quarterback at a high level and whipping their defenses.

Now teams are taking the opposite approach:  play soft zones and force the run game and short passing game to beat you. Don’t let Allen beat you long. That’s how teams are playing Mahomes now. Teams are defending Allen and the Bills offense the same way they defend Mahomes and the Chiefs.

The easiest way to force defenses out of this approach and open the passing game back up is to run the ball well and for Allen to continue to be patient and smart. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

You need to take into account how Our opponents started to play us.....with 2 deep safeties and giving us the short game.  That’s why things have changed.  Josh would still be throwing haymakers all over the field if teams were playing our WRs 1 on 1 with little help over the top.  That’s not the case.  They’re forcing us to nickel and dime them to death with hopes that Allen will make a mistake along the way.  It’s worked when Allen tries to get aggressive and forces passes

And it's tough to nickle and dime a team down the length of the field with a below average rushing game and below average TE receiving production.  When we tried the same tactic against the Chiefs it worked as Mahomes and his receivers didn't really hurt us.  But the Chiefs TE's and running game killed us.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

This ^

When teams faced the Bills last season, it was “stop the run and force Allen to play quarterback”.

The first four opponents we faced this year did the same thing, only Allen responsed by playing quarterback at a high level and whipping their defenses.

Now teams are taking the opposite approach:  play soft zones and force the run game and short passing game to beat you. Don’t let Allen beat you long. That’s how teams are playing Mahomes now. Teams are defending Allen and the Bills offense the same way they defend Mahomes and the Chiefs.

The easiest way to force defenses out of this approach and open the passing game back up is to run the ball well and for Allen to continue to be patient and smart. 

Exactly.  

which is why getting the running game going is so crucial for this team.  If we can’t get it going, Bass might be seeing a lot of work this year.  

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And it's tough to nickle and dime a team down the length of the field with a below average rushing game and below average TE receiving production.  When we tried the same tactic against the Chiefs it worked as Mahomes and his receivers didn't really hurt us.  But the Chiefs TE's and running game killed us.

Yup Tyreek hill was almost nonexistent.  Too bad we couldn’t run for ****.  Getting the run game going needs to be the emphasis if we want to start scoring some points again

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

It's just the reality of the situation and vegas always knows, in fact you can argue that if we played 30 other NFL teams yesterday and we likely lose.

Jets are terrible and by far the worst team in the league, but a struggling Pats team is still a much tougher opponent on paper since they have a proven coach and still have key talent on the roster.

I think the Bills lose and probably lose by 10+ points, but if we do find a way to win it will be a last second come from behind type of deal for sure....24 -23 type of game.

And if we win I'm sure you will say the Pats are a bad team with no real skill. So even if we win you can still complain about something.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Levi Wallace for this week- He is technically eligible to return off IR, correct?

Correct.  But as yet, his only observed work on the sidelines has been exercise bike, no footwork with trainers.

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Um, wow: 

Newton, who continued to take the blame for the loss, elaborated: “The energy has definitely been off for me, and at times it’s not rewarding when you’re just going out there with this aura about yourself that’s not you.”’

He added: “I have fun playing this football game, but the performances here hasn’t been somewhat delightful for me to have fun in doing so. So I just got to be better.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/26/sports/football/patriots-49ers.html

Are you sure there weren't references to a Solar Reptilian Being in that talk?

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

What's the song?

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Are we still only favored by 3.5 points?

That's basically like saying the game is "even" which is a bit of backhand to the Bills!

No it means we're favored by 2. This season home teams are getting 1.5 with no fans. On a normal year with fans and taking NE's current team situation we'd probably be -4.5 or -5.