Week 8: Patriots at Bills

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Tuel Time said:

Yes they do. They've been playing poorly. Have you not been watching?

I said "right now". And anyone who watched the last 3 games would need to agree.

Yes, I watch every NFL game every week...and I don’t agree with you.

Just now, Gene1973 said:

I didn't realize so many NFL fans don't know what constitutes "running up the score"... 

Gene, if you need me to quote your post I’ll do so...

33 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Sell out defending the run and stick white on Edelman all game. 

yep.  Against  Brady that would be a disaster, but with Cam back there that might be the winning game plan on defense.  Just have a sick feeling that the Bills will beat themselves this game.

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

Yes, as in if he ever had a multiple score lead he would not "play to win" like Brady & Belichick used to. 

Oh boy

^ this is what you said

Example of multiple score lead: Rams game. Absolutely played to win.

What is the source of confusion here?

Edited by thebandit27

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Yes, I watch every NFL game every week...and I don’t agree with you.

Well, I was pretty disappointed in their play the last 3 games. There are a few bright spots, but man, I don't consider myself a harsh critic and I'll tell you they've sucked lol.

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

yep.  Against  Brady that would be a disaster, but with Cam back there that might be the winning game plan on defense.  Just have a sick feeling that the Bills will beat themselves this game.

Don’t play man against Cam—that’s one thing he can beat. He’ll run and create offense with some matchups. Zone him; he isn’t going to pick you apart

1 minute ago, Tuel Time said:

Well, I was pretty disappointed in their play the last 3 games. There are a few bright spots, but man, I don't consider myself a harsh critic and I'll tell you they've sucked lol.

Hey I’ll call them bad when they’re bad. No issue with that... but to compare Buffalo’s relative suckitude to NE’s****** in losing 4 straight is misguided IMO.

Just now, Gene1973 said:

"Running up the score occurs when a competitor continues to play in such a way as to score additional points after the outcome of the game is no longer in significant question and the team is all but assured of winning."

Can't believe I had to post a definition of this on an NFL forum...

Dude...read your own posts...

• Like (+1) 1

Could this be the first game since Week 1 where both Edmunds and Milano are mostly healthy? Maybe 75+%? If so, that's a huge boost to our defense as well. 

Getting out of the Jets game (I know they are bad, but their defense plays extremely physical. Always hit hard and play to and through the whistle) without any major injuries *that we know of (knocks on wood)* was huge for this team. Hopefully we can return some of the guys on offense too (get well Smoke!).

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Belichick iw now something like 43-61 when Brady isnt his starting QB.   No clue what happens Sunday as I dont think the Bills are world beaters but Kraft looks to have kept the wrong guy.

Yep thats pretty much accurate record wise. More or less without Brady he is a .500 coach. I don't blame BB for the last season in CLE and the record they had the move of the team blew everything to bits it was full on chaos. It is interesting because in terms of longevity only Don Shula really went a run like this and he missed at points the playoffs.

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

Of course we get NE coming off two brutal home losses.  Like they won’t be super motivated to get things right.  

But seeing as the Bills have lost a zillion games to NE and McDermott hasn’t beaten the hoodie, Buffalo’s motivation to win should trump anything from the Pats side. They’ve been our daddy for way too long.  i want to see a pummeling 

Belly boy owes me some child support then

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

Dude, I thought you knew what running up the score meant, my bad. Time left in the game plays a part un running up the score...

In any event, McDermott is not and has never been a run up the svore coach, he's a run the ball milk the play clock kind of coach.

Youre missing the examples.  After being up multiple scores in both Rams and Jets games we did not just run the ball and play conservative.  We threw the ball a lot still in both those cases.  That is the point everyone is trying to make.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Dude, I thought you knew what running up the score meant, my bad. Time left in the game plays a part un running up the score...

In any event, McDermott is not and has never been a run up the svore coach, he's a run the ball milk the play clock kind of coach.

Please...you specifically spelled out what you meant...

I think you are confusing putting a game away vs. running up the score... See some of the old Bills Pats games, 56-10 etc...

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

you called out the coach for being too conservative

Yes, as in if he ever had a multiple score lead he would not "play to win" like Brady & Belichick used to

Oh boy

If you didn’t mean that they’d get too conservative with a multiple score lead, then you defined it poorly, so needling me as though I don’t know what running up the score means is silly given the context of the discussion.

And under either definition, you’re mistaken.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don't remember any Bills get hurting yesterday.  Am I misremembering?  Meanwhile Thuney went down for the Pats.  Another big hit on their O-line.  And I think I heard in the game that N'Keal Harry was out for concussion evaluation.

Edited by wjag
biwt

19 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Don’t play man against Cam—that’s one thing he can beat. He’ll run and create offense with some matchups. Zone him; he isn’t going to pick you apart

Hey I’ll call them bad when they’re bad. No issue with that... but to compare Buffalo’s relative suckitude to NE’s****** in losing 4 straight is misguided IMO.

Correct. The 2-deep shell and you play him the same way teams play Allen. 

If I know ol' Bill, he is going to dial up plenty of runs to attack our suspect front and work the TOP to keep the game close.

He knows a frustrated Allen is a beatable Allen.

12 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

And everyone is missing the fact that running up the score occurs after the outcome is assured. Like throwing to the endzone on 4th and 7 with 3:12 left in a game when you're up 33-6 instead of kicking a FG.

Someone made the comment they want the Bills to run the score up on the Pats, my response is that would never happen because McDermott. Then all hell broke lose with people who wanted to fight but didn't understand what running up the score actually means.

I'm very confident we'll never see McDermott run up the score on anyone.

Jets game were up 24-10 with 8 minutes to go and were still throwing.  We are throwing with less than 6 minutes to go.  Thats not "playing to win" thats going for the jugular when the game is over.

Raiders game up 30-16 with 8 minutes to go and were still throwing.  I will concede that with 5 minutes to go and the same score we ran three straight times, but that did require timeouts to be burned.  

Edited by YattaOkasan

2 minutes ago, WideNine said:

If I know ol' Bill, he is going to dial up plenty of runs to attack our suspect front and work the TOP to keep the game close.

Oh yeah, we are going to see a steady diet of small backs running at the Bills.  Screens to backs out of the backfield.  Check downs to backs in the flats.  And Newton designed runs.  The only way to stop it is to put them into a big hole early.

7 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I suspect McDermott will show a number of different coverage looks, but I think you’ll see the typical Cover-3 and Quarters stuff we’ve been doing all year once the ball is snapped—keep it simple, but make it look complicated.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

8 minutes is plenty of time for the opponent to score 14 pts to tie, hence that does not fit the definition of assured outcome.

So historically 8 minutes (@ the start of the drive) with a 2 score lead is a run the ball time from what i have seen from conservative coaches.  I guess we need some data on play selection < 5 min with a 2 score lead.  I dont think any coaches are throwing there cause the game is over if you run the ball (an onsides will be needed there).  So your gripe is about play selection <5 min with a 2 score lead.  Talk about inconsequential.  The outcome of the game is significantly assured if you have the ball with <8 minutes and a 2 score lead btw.

Edited by YattaOkasan