Gilmore on the block?

On 10/26/2020 at 8:42 AM, Gene1973 said:

I would not want to see him back on the Bills. Good player, ***** attitude.

I will say however, Gilmore has played much better than White after getting paid. White has dropped significantly after securing a big contract, not cool.

I agree he's been just so-so but last week I think is the 1st time he's looked 100% healthy and he played well.

He's not lazy and he's not a selfish guy, I think the reduction in elite play is injury based not contract/money.

First, White’s contract is $14.3 and $14.6 mil. In 2020 and 2021, not $20 mil.  It’s right on OTC.  White is 25 and Gilmore is 30.  Gilmore under the current contract is $24 mil. In 2020 and $16.4 mil. In 2021, so would have to be reworked.  I don’t see anyway we could afford both contracts.  Now I’m not sure how much the Pats eat if this contract, but I just don’t see it.

I don’t remember him hating Buffalo, just wanted a payday.  I completely agree if we had both this defense would be absolutely incredible, but don’t see in any version we can afford both of them.

16 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

If he is so smart, why go all offseason with Stidham as your QB?

Negotiations with Brady fell apart and they didn't have a good backup plan.

I think they were planning to go with Stidham but were surprised Newton was still available.  I suspect they knew the ceiling of players like Dalton, Foles, and Winston who would never be good enough to get them a Superbowl. They were able to get Newton at a discount price.  They figured at best we get the 2015 MVP and at worst we play Stidham while wasting a million on Netwon.  Stidham getting hurt in training camp gave the upper hand to Newton.  If Newton has another few bad games they'll turn to Stidham to see what he has before making a move for a quarterback next year via free agency or the draft.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:16 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

That is not true.

Glenn was tagged in 2016 and signed long term contract in May 2016.

Gilmore walked in 2017. And I'm pretty sure they were only net positive 2 free agents that they could have cut by week 10 or something like that. Ducasse was playing marginally better than other guards at that point and they could have cut three WRs and signed any street free agent for the same quality

You are correct.

They were free to franchise Gilmore but chose not to.

He would have brought a nice return in trade if nothing else.   

They then drafted a CB in round 1.........which was right out of the Bills post-John-Butler roster churn textbook.

Efficiency with personnel chips has not been a strong suit of the McDermott and McBeane era(deference to Beane not *technically* being GM for first 4 months of 2017).

Luck has most definitely been on their side though............the Bills literally had the chance to draft Mahomes, Watson,  Allen and Lamar Jackson in the first two seasons with McBeane.........opportunity unprecedented in Bills history.

If they mess this up they have nobody to blame.

• Awesome! (+1) 1