Gilmore on the block?

On 10/26/2020 at 5:49 AM, thebandit27 said:

1) he didn’t get traded from Buffalo

2) he wanted to get paid; it had nothing to do with not wanting to be in Buffalo—that’s just something fans say practically every time a player leaves and gets big money elsewhere 

He was also protecting himself the last two years and not giving a 100% in run support

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don’t agree...and neither did Belichick apparently 

That’s fine you don’t agree. But I’d be willing to bet a majority of bill’s fans agree with me. That’s why everyone was happy to see him leave. They just were pissed he went to NE

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

People are just bonkers about cornerbacks 🤣

A guy that’s allowed 16 completions and 1 TD in 6 games is “playing like crap”.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GilmSt00.htm

I swear, unless a CB allows zero catches and has 25 INTs people think he’s garbage. 

Unbelievable.

It was quoted on football talk radio that QBs have a 101 QBR when throwing at him.. that is god awful!

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I think you got that a little backwards. His first 3 years were dirt cheap, like $8-9M against the cap. $25M this year $17.7M next year. His dead cap for 2021. So the Pats can get out of it for like $7.7M.

If this were last year I would absolutely consider it for Buffalo. We had tons of space. We spent way too much on not even good play on the front 7 and then a ton more on old man Norman. I would rather have Gilmore next to Tre for two years than AJ Klein, Josh Norman, and Trent Murphy at approximately the same value (you can pepper in some combination of Addison, Butler, and/or Jefferson)

(Disclaimer: Not knocking Beane- Totally just a "what if")

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/stephon-gilmore-9820/

They  are saying his cap hit is 12 mill next year which is nothing for a top CB which is what Gilmore is when motivated.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

It was quoted on football talk radio that QBs have a 101 QBR when throwing at him.. that is god awful!

They  are saying his cap hit is 12 mill next year which is nothing for a top CB which is what Gilmore is when motivated.

And that’s incorrect. His passer rating allowed is 74.0:

10 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

That’s fine you don’t agree. But I’d be willing to bet a majority of bill’s fans agree with me. That’s why everyone was happy to see him leave. They just were pissed he went to NE

And I’d like to hear their reasoning on that, because the numbers tell a different story since had 5 interceptions, 12 passes defensed, and 42 solo tackles—all were career highs at the time.

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

It wouldn't be the first time that Gilmore was dogging it.

PS: I do hope that nobody here dares to suggest that drafting a defensive back in the top 10  is anything less than a splendid way to build a team. 

I watched that Pats-SF game. I thought he played hard. 

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

People are just bonkers about cornerbacks 🤣

A guy that’s allowed 16 completions and 1 TD in 6 games is “playing like crap”.

I swear, unless a CB allows zero catches and has 25 INTs people think he’s garbage. 

Unbelievable.

This is so true. Gilmore is playing well this year. Their secondary is keeping them in games (i.e., the KC game). 

Edited by dave mcbride

On 10/26/2020 at 8:42 AM, Gene1973 said:

I would not want to see him back on the Bills. Good player, ***** attitude.

I will say however, Gilmore has played much better than White after getting paid. White has dropped significantly after securing a big contract, not cool.

Agreed.  Plus, he won't get all those free holds anymore outside of NE. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

They tagged Glenn; they couldn’t tag Gilmore at that point.

And cutting Vlad and Holmes wasn’t enough; they’d have had to cut another FA acquisition.

That is not true.

Glenn was tagged in 2016 and signed long term contract in May 2016.

Gilmore walked in 2017. And I'm pretty sure they were only net positive 2 free agents that they could have cut by week 10 or something like that. Ducasse was playing marginally better than other guards at that point and they could have cut three WRs and signed any street free agent for the same quality

A Pats analyst was reviewing the game against San Fran and said on a play Gilmore held up making a tackle because of the collision that would take place. The analyst straight up said Gilmore made a business decision by not making the tackle. It reminded me of his last season in 2016 where quite a few times he noticeably held back to not get inquired on plays. He seems to be doing the same again now that things are heading south in NE.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/27/2020 at 10:43 AM, VaMilBill said:

When Gilmore left in 2017 people were excited right up until they saw he went NE and then the comments about games in the big lights. I personally thought he was a top 15 CB with top 10 potential, but I give him credit for working hard to get to this point.

6 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I doubt he plays Sunday then

They'd be wise to hold-him-out. 

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

If he is so smart, why go all offseason with Stidham as your QB?

Been saying that for months now.  His plan was to go with Stidham and then Cam fell into his lap.  It looked like a lucky move initially but recently it hasn't been working-out so well.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him retire at the end of the year.  I doubt he'll want to go into full rebuilding mode at the age of 69.

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

A Pats analyst was reviewing the game against San Fran and said on a play Gilmore held up making a tackle because of the collision that would take place. The analyst straight up said Gilmore made a business decision by not making the tackle. It reminded me of his last season in 2016 where quite a few times he noticeably held back to not get inquired on plays. He seems to be doing the same again now that things are heading south in NE.

Yup.  I know the exact play he's talking about because I said the same thing when I saw the replay during the game.

Edited by Doc

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

If he is so smart, why go all offseason with Stidham as your QB?

I genuinely think that BB's plan was to go with Stidham and tank this year to get one of the top QB's coming out next year. I also think that he changed his mind when Cam fell into his lap and he wanted to show everyone that his genius is the reason NE won all those championships, not Brady. If this is the case, thank the football gods because idk what I would do if NE got Lawrence or Fields. :death: