Gilmore on the block?

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah. I don’t.  And I understand that he is a CB who excels in man coverage and we were moving to a zone, primarily C-3 scheme so we probably didn’t want to pay him to see how he played bail technique.  I get it, but I always hate moving on from elite players because they don’t fit a new scheme. It seems to me like great coaches should be able to adapt their scheme to maximize the impact of great players.  It was probably just too late to salvage the relationship when McD got here.  We were at a point where a franchise tag was our only option and that would’ve likely led to a disgruntled player on and off the field. 

Yup, there are a lot of coaches that just can’t/won’t make adjustments in their schemes to accommodate the talent on hand, even our current guys screw this up to some degree. I’m thinking it’s a rare coach that has the mental flexibility to really do that well. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Isn't he on the tag though? Not sure we can fit him under the cap, can we?

As for Gilmore.... pondering potential trade destinations..... would have to be a team in the race who need a corner..... San Fran? Seattle? Green Bay? Not looked at cap numbers to see how feasible any of those are.

Not sure what percentage of Thuney’s hit we’d take, but I’m sure there’s a way to make it work.

25 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yes I was wrong on the trade thing, but he sure didn’t want to be here, and played that way towards the end, that can’t really be argued

He allowed 2 TDs and a passer rating below 65 in his final season here. That’s pretty great for a guy that played like he didn’t want to be here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Makes sense.  Watched some of the 49ers game yesterday.  Gilmore was playing like he didn’t want to be there.  

Of course, BR.  They are not a good team...not worthy of his attention and best effort.  They are beneath him and they should be glad he is even stepping on the field for them.

I'm not sure, but it could be his M.O.

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He allowed 2 TDs and a passer rating below 65 in his final season here. That’s pretty great for a guy that played like he didn’t want to be here.

The most ridiculous narrative ever was that Gilmore sucked his final year here. He didn't. He was one of the few people on that defense doing his job.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I think this COVID thing is really messing with White's head.  If I remember correctly he was really close to opting out this year.  It seems like he is shying away from contact.  I am also convinced the Tenn game he told the coaches he wasn't comfortable playing due to the covid issues ten was having at the time.  Just a thought, but he looks like a totally different player out there this year compared to years past.

Covid or not he looks exactly like Norman after he got paid. This is why you don't pay a Zone CB over 14 mil a year. Guys like Revis that follow and shut down the other teams best WR regularly without help deserve to be paid 20 mil a year. 

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Covid or not he looks exactly like Norman after he got paid. This is why you don't pay a Zone CB over 14 mil a year. Guys like Revis that follow and shut down the other teams best WR regularly without help deserve to be paid 20 mil a year. 

Ok I just have to know: has anyone actually looked at how many completions Tre has allowed this year?

Not picking on you specifically...

2 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I was talking with my buddy who is a pats fan during the pats 49rs game and he thinks they should blow it all up, trade whoever they can.  No star power anywhere on offense, he sees it as a ten year rebuild lol  

Ten years? What is this, the NFL of 1975?

With all the Covid opt outs this year anyone that thought the Pats would be something special were giving Belichek way way too much credit.

They return a lot of quality players next year.  It is not a 10 yr rebuild for any team much less them.  With all those opt outs if Belichek didn't have such a big ego he would have really blown the team up already top get Lawrence.  Now they have no shot.  And Newton looked like hot garbage yesterday , that magic has worn off.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Per Albert Breer:

2) At two different junctures this year—before the draft and toward the start of camp—the Patriots had discussions with other teams about a potential Stephon Gilmore trade. Would New England revisit that now? It seems increasingly likely that he could be elsewhere in 2021, so exploring the idea again, with the team at 2–4, wouldn’t be unheard of.

3) A fact I picked up doing research for my Sunday shows on NBC Sports Boston about a Gilmore trade: Ten players have been dealt for a first-round pick or a first-rounder-plus since April 2018. All 10 of those players were 27 or younger at the time of the deal.

Breer is very plugged in and doesn’t post stuff like this unless there’s real legs to it... wonder what the thinking is?  I guess it must be that they’re rebuilding so it doesn’t make sense to be paying top dollar for a defensive back?

:sick:🤮

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Per Albert Breer:

2) At two different junctures this year—before the draft and toward the start of camp—the Patriots had discussions with other teams about a potential Stephon Gilmore trade. Would New England revisit that now? It seems increasingly likely that he could be elsewhere in 2021, so exploring the idea again, with the team at 2–4, wouldn’t be unheard of.

3) A fact I picked up doing research for my Sunday shows on NBC Sports Boston about a Gilmore trade: Ten players have been dealt for a first-round pick or a first-rounder-plus since April 2018. All 10 of those players were 27 or younger at the time of the deal.

Breer is very plugged in and doesn’t post stuff like this unless there’s real legs to it... wonder what the thinking is?  I guess it must be that they’re rebuilding so it doesn’t make sense to be paying top dollar for a defensive back?

if you are the Pats, does 1 year of Gilmore bring more value than a top draft pick?

makes total sense to move him, get the pick and spend the $$ elsewhere instead of a one year rental outside their super bowl window 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I think this COVID thing is really messing with White's head.  If I remember correctly he was really close to opting out this year.  It seems like he is shying away from contact.  I am also convinced the Tenn game he told the coaches he wasn't comfortable playing due to the covid issues ten was having at the time.  Just a thought, but he looks like a totally different player out there this year compared to years past.

He’s also hurt... 

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

if you are the Pats, does 1 year of Gilmore bring more value than a top draft pick?

makes total sense to move him, get the pick and spend the $$ elsewhere instead of a one year rental outside their super bowl window 

That's probably right.  I keep forgetting that he only has 1 year left on his mega deal.  Time has really flown!

Seahawks and 49ers may create a bidding war between them.

• Like (+1) 1