The McDermott Era...Will the first signature win(s) come the next 3 weeks?

Wizard

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes a very good win (and may be as close to a signature win as can be) but unfairly was too early in the season.  

But like many it maybe being disappointed in performances vs. KC, New England, Baltimore.....  Where the scores aren't terrible, but the Bills are seemingly just not trading punches.  

It's like that championship boxing/UFC match that goes the distance, but the scorecards are one-sided, with the Champion never in serious trouble). 

With all due respect, the qualifications of what is or is not a signature win seem highly subjective. If we beat the Patriots many wont be satisfied and will come up with reasons why that wasnt a signature win. 

one thing we can all agree on:  we need to win 1 playoff game. The rest is just noise imo. 

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

With all due respect, the qualifications of what is or is not a signature win seem highly subjective. If we beat the Patriots many wont be satisfied and will come up with reasons why that wasnt a signature win. 

one thing we can all agree on:  we need to win 1 playoff game. The rest is just noise imo. 

Beating a 2-5 team a signature win????  Again how low is the bar set.

And again the Bills need to beat playoff teams & teams over .500 consistently.  McD has beaten 5 since he was named HC.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And again the Bills need to beat playoff teams & teams over .500 consistently.  McD has beaten 5 since he was named HC.

is this just a way of you discounting any good this staff has done?  i swear, the nonsense you care about is incredible.  no one has set the bar low...you just insist on wanting things your way.  

as many others have said, the only truly important win is a playoff win.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Was the rams victory this season not against a quality team??

12 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Are the Rams a bad team all of a sudden? 

No, the Bills are a bad team for letting the Rams back in the game and letting them take the lead.  

;)  ;)   :) 

4 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Im sure few people had us beating the Rams this year. Theyre now 5-2

Not likely (in the professional media that is) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

is this just a way of you discounting any good this staff has done?  i swear, the nonsense you care about is incredible.  no one has set the bar low...you just insist on wanting things your way.  

as many others have said, the only truly important win is a playoff win.  

And everything the staff has done is good?  I didn't start this thread, I only agree with the premise.  

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Was the rams victory this season not against a quality team??

I said it was a good win & may be, however too am disappointed over McD's tenure the bad games vs. teams with over .500 records that the Bills have had, where they have generally been uncompetitive.  

The concept of a “signature win” is inherently subjective with constantly-moving goalposts imho—for the naysayers there will always be qualifiers available, and for the glass half full types, there will always be ways to spin a win into signature the same way. For example, Pittsburgh in Primetime last year was the win that sealed our playoffs, represented the first win for the Bills in the reg season in Pittsburgh since the Juice was starting for us, and was had against the #3 overall D in the league; but bc we picked off the Duck 4 times, well, you get it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The concept of a “signature win” is inherently subjective with constantly-moving goalposts imho—for the naysayers there will always be qualifiers available, and for the glass half full types, there will always be ways to spin a win into signature the same way. For example, Pittsburgh in Primetime last year was the win that sealed our playoffs, represented the first win for the Bills in the reg season in Pittsburgh since the Juice was starting for us, and was had against the #3 overall D in the league; but bc we picked off the Duck 4 times, well, you get it. 

So what side are you on?🙄

We played a team with maybe the worst QB in the league (only because he played for the Steelers was he given any press) and needed to pick him off 4 times as we played that game scared to death on offense.  It was actually pathetic the playcalling on the Offensive side of the ball.

The only thing I remember on Offense that game, was getting the ball with 2 minutes left in the first half and petrified to move the ball and grinding out three runs for a first down and celebratinbg as if they had just scored a TD late in a game to go ahead (all so they wouldn't punt and give Duck another chance before Half!!!!)..... 

32 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And everything the staff has done is good?  I didn't start this thread, I only agree with the premise.  

everything the staff has done has been far more good that bad.  i don't care who started the thread...you're the one perpetuating nonsense.  

the first year here, this staff with a tyrod led offense went to the playoffs.  call it luck if you want, but they went.  two years later, this staff takes them again, under the leadership for a second year qb.  this year this team is poised to win the afc east, and go back to the playoffs.  when you hear people who work in football talk about mcd and this staff, it's always with high praise.  it's amazing how some fans can see the good that's been done.  are they where they need to be right now?  no, but it's along season and a lot can happen.  i'd much rather wait to see how it unfolds than be angry about what is.

i get it.  your gripe until now is 300 yard games.  you literally think mcd didn't allow for allen to throw for 300, yet here we are.   now that this is no longer a complaint, you've moved onto something new.  it has nothing to do with a bar you set...it's just you.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Ummm, EXCUSE me my friend, HUDS?!  As THE person who invented "glass half full"(*), I resent the assumption that me, and others of my ilk...ilklings if I may be so bold, would ever skip down the primrose path only to fall off the cliff that is indulgent enthusiasm just to label a game a "signature win".  

By the way, and unfortunately, recent times have caused me to remoniker myself "glass 3/8ths filled" guy, but that is another story. 

I believe it was either the Supreme Court of the United States or Fonzi on the Pinky Tuskadero episode of Happy Days that said, "I don't know what a signature win is, but I know it when I see it."

With those bold and graceful words I am confident in stating that I am still looking for a signature win, albeit prideful as a Bills fan rumeraging amongst the very good wins they have had.  

...but...beat Seattle, and regardless of anything else if they do it while Wilson is at the helm...well, I'll call that a signature win right now.

(* I absolutely didn't invent glass half full, but for the  purposes of this text it makes me look important...like people should be reading what I am writing.  Not true at all, though.  I am mostly certainly a JAF (Just Another Fan).  Hopefully, no one will read this footnote.)

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, teef said:

everything the staff has done has been far more good that bad.  i don't care who started the thread...you're the one perpetuating nonsense.  

the first year here, this staff with a tyrod led offense went to the playoffs.  call it luck if you want, but they went.  two years later, this staff takes them again, under the leadership for a second year qb.  this year this team is poised to win the afc east, and go back to the playoffs.  when you hear people who work in football talk about mcd and this staff, it's always with high praise.  it's amazing how some fans can see the good that's been done.  are they where they need to be right now?  no, but it's along season and a lot can happen.  i'd much rather wait to see how it unfolds than be angry about what is.

i get it.  your gripe until now is 300 yard games.  you literally think mcd didn't allow for allen to throw for 300, yet here we are.   now that this is no longer a complaint, you've moved onto something new.  it has nothing to do with a bar you set...it's just you.

No other coach went more then a year without a 300 yard passer 2017-2019, regardless of the QB.....  The only constant is McD.....  So yes it falls on him.

Glad that monkey's off his back.

I also said I'm coming around on him, but still not convinced.

And yes the Rams may be that win, but his record & performance vs. teams over .500 is not good (many blowouts included).

For a team with a 25-23 record under him, that is a glaring hole.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2020 at 7:56 AM, Gene1973 said:

So in your mind, that Rams game is a "signature win"? Huh

This is the issue with many long-time Bills fans, the willingness to accept mediocrity in lieu of true success.

So let me ask you a question. If the Rams would have beat the Bills, would that have been a "signature win" for the RAMS. Just asking.

41 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

So let me ask you a question. If the Rams would have beat the Bills, would that have been a "signature win" for the RAMS. Just asking.

Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) for the Rams, they've had a few with McVay as coach.   The Bills we don't know yet.😜

Edited by Billsfan1972

41 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No other coach went more then a year without a 300 yard passer 2017-2019, regardless of the QB.....  The only constant is McD.....  So yes it falls on him.

Glad that monkey's off his back.

I also said I'm coming around on him, but still not convinced.

And yes the Rams may be that win, but his record & performance vs. teams over .500 is not good (many blowouts included).

For a team with a 25-23 record under him, that is a glaring hole.

for me right now, the only glaring hole is a playoff win.  we'll see if it comes this year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, teef said:

for me right now, the only glaring hole is a playoff win.  we'll see if it comes this year.

And when that happens (let's hope this year) it will be against a team with a record over .500 (thought two teams have been under .500 and a # 8-8).....😁

16 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

No, Bills are not a top tier team. Would have been a nice win, not signature. Plus McVay has already had great success, not sure he needs anymore signature wins to solidify his position. McDermott simply has not done that yet. Rams win could have been a signature win but it's not because McDermott's D almost blowing a game that was ultimately decided by the refs in the Bills' favor. It was PI, but in many games in that spot they don't call it..

Mcvay also took over a loaded team, and walked in with a high drafted QB, and Donald. McDermott took over a rebuilding team on the fly.

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm starting to think that "signature win" is going to be one of those terms on the board that I come to dislike, kind of like "franchise QB" and "injury prone"

It means different things to different people

No one bothers to define it clearly

People wrangle endlessly from different personal definitions

No. This is an excellent thread. And various people have defined their line in the sand for that purpose. Some, like me, set the bar high, demanding excellence. Others, like to go low... simply accepting low mediocrity bar after a generation of horrific play- like beating a winning team or even...”we’re not the JESTS or previously... the Clowns!”

NOOOOO! You never use the worst teams in the league in a given year, as a point of comparison, that you are better! NEVER... EVER!

Nor, is it,when you beat Scrooge McDuck,the 3rd. String QB of the Steelers. Beat KC with Paddy Mahomes, Beat Ben. Beat Brady! 🙄

”Signature Ws” are, at the highest level, did you beat the SB Champ of that year- something I highly doubt the Bills have done in a generation. But, something BOTH the Raiders and Cardinals May have accomplished already- in 2020!

Next? Did the Bills beat ANY Championship finalist of the same year? NO... again!

MY bar is the next in line. Did you beat any Playoff teams of the same year? PLUS, have you done this at an approx. 50% winning rate? The answer to that question, both pre and post McD is NO! And worse under McDermott!

They will certainly have opportunities against Seattle, Arizona, the 9ers and Pitt coming up. 

Edited by Billsatlastin2018