The McDermott Era...Will the first signature win(s) come the next 3 weeks?

Wizard

Yes, a coach who has taken the Bills to the playoffs in 2 of his 3 seasons, after 17 years without a playoff appearance doesn't have a signature win.  lol

McDermott has about 7 big wins.  Last Thanksgiving on national television against the Cowboys was a major win, and the Steelers win two games later was big too,  but the biggest win was clearly the Colts in the snow in his first year. Yes the Colts were not good, but they would have lost that game in the previous 17 years.  That win turned the Bills around.  They went 3-1 down the stretch because of that win and it was that gritty win that made it possible to end the drought. 

Edited by FUTURIST
  • Like (+1) 1

I think this whole concept of signature win is a bit silly.  If they beat NE on Sunday it’s a signature win unless of course NE finishes the season at 7-9 then it’s not.   Is that the way it works?  

People said the Dallas game was a signature win on Thanksgiving in front of all of America.  A month later they say no, Dallas was overrated.   

You play in the moment. Every game means something with division and conference games meaning even more.   

The Bills stunk for 17 years and were completely irrelevant. McD comes along and gets us in the playoffs and we are lucky because Cincinnati had to win that game.  So if Cincinnati played at 1:00 and we played at 4:00 we would have earned it more?  

Some Bills fans cannot be happy.  We have had four, maybe five,  legitimate NFL Head Coaches in the entire history of the franchise and McDermott is one of them.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Not to mention they stole Renegade.

As a Western Pennsylvanian surrounded by Stiller fans, that has thus far been my favorite accomplishment of the McBeane era. :blush:

That was the best and most memorable part of the game imo. 

Even though I have come around to think he is a good coach, I don't think he's had a "signature win." He's done a lot of things right but the Bills need to win some games against teams ranked in the top five of the league. 

I think they can do it, but we've yet to see it. 

Meanwhile, I'll settle for them beating the Pats next Sunday. Even if they're only 2-3, this would be a step in the right direction since Belichick has had their number since God was an infant. 

4 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Yes, a coach who has taken the Bills to the playoffs in 2 of his 3 seasons, after 17 years without a playoff appearance doesn't have a signature win.  lol

McDermott has about 7 big wins.  Last Thanksgiving on national television against the Cowboys was a major win, and the Steelers win two games later was big too,  but the biggest win was clearly the Colts in the snow in his first year. Yes the Colts were not good, but they would have lost that game in the previous 17 years.  That win turned the Bills around.  They went 3-1 down the stretch because of that win and it was that gritty win that made it possible to end the drought. 

A win at home against a 3-13 team is "signature"?

Edited by uticaclub

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think at this point McClappington needs to win a playoff game.

That moves the franchise forward now.

Another first playoff game loss is not going to do it.

The big "we finally did it!" win we all wanted to see against NE is not going to happen; it can't happen now that they have moved on from Brady, had a bunch of covid no-shows, and are having a pretty terrible season.

This is all so silly!  A "signature win" is a sign of a fan base that doesn't get any win in the NFL is great. Maybe an inferiority complex??

11 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I think this whole concept of signature win is a bit silly.  If they beat NE on Sunday it’s a signature win unless of course NE finishes the season at 7-9 then it’s not.   Is that the way it works?  

People said the Dallas game was a signature win on Thanksgiving in front of all of America.  A month later they say no, Dallas was overrated.   

You play in the moment. Every game means something with division and conference games meaning even more.   

The Bills stunk for 17 years and were completely irrelevant. McD comes along and gets us in the playoffs and we are lucky because Cincinnati had to win that game.  So if Cincinnati played at 1:00 and we played at 4:00 we would have earned it more?  

Some Bills fans cannot be happy.  We have had four, maybe five,  legitimate NFL Head Coaches in the entire history of the franchise and McDermott is one of them.  

Nice win vs. teams they played that they had better records then when they played (Dallas & Pitt).  Yes they too were national games, but against hugely flawed teams (Dallas Defense, Pitt Offense) that finished 8-8.  

Frankly though they had a very easy schedule in 2019 & had 5 games vs. teams over .500 NE x 2, Phil, Tenn & Balt.  The Tenn game was before Tannehill was the starter & 4 missed fgs.

In 2018 they were 1-8 vs. teams over .500     

In 2017 they were 2-6

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

Im sure few people had us beating the Rams this year. Theyre now 5-2

Yes a very good win (and may be as close to a signature win as can be) but unfairly was too early in the season.  

But like many it maybe being disappointed in performances vs. KC, New England, Baltimore.....  Where the scores aren't terrible, but the Bills are seemingly just not trading punches.  

It's like that championship boxing/UFC match that goes the distance, but the scorecards are one-sided, with the Champion never in serious trouble). 

2 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Im sure few people had us beating the Rams this year. Theyre now 5-2

That’s a good W! Let’s say, they go on to make the Playoffs, but the Bills still lose to the rest of the NFC-W Division and Pittsburgh- as expected now.

That would be a 1-4 year for McD v.s. Playoff Teams!

Not good. At all.

Beating NE twice and winning the Division satisfies us, but doesn’t make the Bills a very good team.

7 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

That’s a good W! Let’s say, they go on to make the Playoffs, but the Bills still lose to the rest of the NFC-W Division and Pittsburgh- as expected now.

That would be a 1-4 year for McD v.s. Playoff Teams!

Not good. At all.

Beating NE twice and winning the Division satisfies us, but doesn’t make the Bills a very good team.

Even I will not be that negative!!!!!😉  I expect much more.

18 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

I did too... before the past 3 weeks! Now, I HOPE they beat a couple of them. Because talent wise, they are inferior.

I will blame they were not prepared for Tenn (unsure if even playing & then a Tuesday game).  KC they again were not well prepared and weather.  Jets they really did move the ball and frankly they miss Brown...

Let's hope just a bad run.