The McDermott Era...Will the first signature win(s) come the next 3 weeks?

Wizard

Winning at Heinz Field on a Sunday Night to clinch the playoffs was a signature win.

I don't care that it was Duck Hodges. The Steelers had a winning record and were favored to win that game. All of the experts picked them. It wasn't even close.

The Bills went into hostile territory in prime time, and with the pressure on, they won.

That was a signature win, and I will adamantly disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Eventhough long term it is meaningful more than it isn't...

not really.  any given sunday, especially in the playoffs.  didn't the giants barely squeak into the playoffs the year they beat the pats?

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

Yes, but is that the norm? No, it is not. Usually the best teams who score the most points during the season win championships.

so you mean teams that score more than their opponent and win more games tend to be better?  shocking!

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

A road victory against a frequent playoff team”

That. But, I would settle for a Home W, as well. 

McClapper’s record against Playoff Teams of the same year is actually WORSE than all the clueless stumblebums, we have witnessed as so called HCs this Millenium.

Pre McD? 19-78 (24%)

The Clapper

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 20%

He really hasn’t had a “signature win.”

Feel confident the Rams will make the playoffs

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

Not just score more than their opponent no. At least not in this latest era. Prolific scoring, decimating opponents on occasion.

gene...we need you to start thinking of the good that can happen in life, and not the bad.  you my friend, need a vision board.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

Winning at Heinz Field on a Sunday Night to clinch the playoffs was a signature win.

I don't care that it was Duck Hodges. The Steelers had a winning record and were favored to win that game. All of the experts picked them. It wasn't even close.

The Bills went into hostile territory in prime time, and with the pressure on, they won.

That was a signature win, and I will adamantly disagree with anyone who says otherwise.

It was pretty close

https://www.google.com/amp/s/stillcurtain.com/2019/12/14/experts-split-winner-steelers-vs-bills/amp/

When it came time for NFL experts, analysts, and radio personalities to make their weekly predictions, the prognosis was mainly split down the middle. According to NFL Pick Watch, 57 percent of experts are taking the Steelers to win this weekend while 43 percent believe Buffalo will emerge victorious.

This is the closest margin of expert predictions this week and one of the narrowest margins of predictions since the Raiders hosted the Chargers in Week 10. There is some compelling evidence why this may be the case.

edit:  if Duck Hodges wasn’t the QB, the experts picks might not have been close.....but it was very close because who’s playing QB matter more than anything.  Hence, why it isn’t a signature win.  If we had beaten the patriots last season, no one would be talking about the steeler game as a signature win.  I agree that it was probably our best win under McD.  I just wouldn’t put it on such a pedestal 

Edited by NewEra

3 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Prior to that, when was the last time the Bills won in Pittsburgh

An 8-8 team that was horrible on offense.  A win yes.... Signature no.  

The bar is so low, we can have a limbo contest!!!!

Edited by Billsfan1972

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

Not to mention they stole Renegade.

As a Western Pennsylvanian surrounded by Stiller fans, that has thus far been my favorite accomplishment of the McBeane era. :blush:

14 hours ago, Wizard said:

The Bills have not had a signature win in my opinion in the McClappy era. Some may argue the Cowboys win last year or even Andy Dalton's gift in breaking the playoff drought. We have had some good wins, but I started thinking...

What do board members believe constitutes a signature win?  Is it a dominant performance in all 3 phases of the game? A road victory against a frequent playoff team? Putting a blemish on a team with their first loss? A playoff win? A gutty come-from-behind victory? Beating the less formidable Patriots next week?

I believe the Cardinals and Steelers got signature wins this week. 

The Bills so far have played as expected. They were manhandled by clearly better teams, won some cupcakes, and eeked out wins against teams comparable in skill this year. 

Will a Bills win against NE be signature level?  Or, do they need to put together 3 wins in a row? (Jets, Pats, and Hawks, etc.)

What pelt or pelts do they need on their wall to move from fairly good to great this year?

Let's discuss.

Interesting question.  First, let me say that I agree; there has been no signature win yet.  The signature win is a win against a premier team in a game with major implications, like home field in the playoffs.  It's a win that people can foreshadow being a Conference championship game or a Super Bowl.  If the Bills had won the Chiefs game, if the full-fledged two-fourth-quarter-TDs- scenario had played out, with the Bills winning that game, that would have been the signature win.  The signature win is probably on the road, but it could be at home.    

I'm not expecting a signature win this season.  I think the Bills have too many weaknesses to get that kind of win, but I admit I could be wrong.  McDermott's process is to keep building and to have a powerful team in December.   He may already see how to get there - I don't know.  

I don't see the signature win coming this season.  The schedule doesn't help - last three games of the season are almost certainly not signature-win games if won (unless somehow we come down to a Bills-Pats for the AFCE title).  49ers could be a signature win.  Or the Steelers.  There's a scenario where it's the Cards, but not likely.  

Completely aside from that, I've been avoiding until now looking at the schedule.  Bills are coming into a brutal stretch.   Going 1-5 isn't impossible.  4-2 is possible, I'd take it.  I can live with 3-3, but if the Bills only go 3-3, that's one more reason we won't see the signature win this season.  

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Logic said:

You don't get to set the signature win criteria because  "experts" picked Pittsburgh.  Buffalo didn't even win convincingly given the 7 point margin of victory.  

They played against a QB who will probably never start another meaningful regular season game.  

I'll contend that McD's biggest win in nearly 3.5 seasons is the Atlanta away game in 2017.  Or, the Dallas Thanksgiving game.  That's logical. 

32 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Wow, just had a terrible thought about online psychiatry, what could go wrong? I really hope that's not a real thing yet...

teef's been practicing onliine psychiatry here for years.  

a genuinely happy trainwreck!

8 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Don't think so, a signature win is a win against a top team in a given season. NE is not a top team, they look like garbage right now. McClappity had two chances to beat a couple top teams, he turtled in both of them. As he will likely do against the SeaHawks and Steelers...

thank you for defining  what a signature win actually means to you. That to me is the crux of the matter. For ME what it would mean is that all 3 facets of the team excel and win  convincingly with no significant needs or deficiences in any 3 areas (offense defence and special teams) Unfortunatey the Bills haven't gotten there yet so by my definition such a plateau can't be reached until earliest next year.

Edited by Muppy
typo

7 minutes ago, Muppy said:

thank you for defining  what a signature win actually means to you. That to me is the crux of the matter. For ME what it would mean is that all 3 facets of the team excel and win  convincingly with no significant needs or deficiences in any 3 areas (offense defence and special teams) Unfortunatey the Bills haven't gotten there yet so by my definition such a plateau can't be reached until earliest next year.

Interesting way to look at it.  I’m not saying your wrong, it’s entirely your opinion, just as my opinion is just that, my opinion 

I think a team can have a signature win if the offense and defense play great and the ST sucks.  If an offense and ST play great and the defense gets destroyed all game, the. Comes up with a huge sack or interception with the game on the line.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1