The McDermott Era...Will the first signature win(s) come the next 3 weeks?

Wizard

9 hours ago, Wizard said:

The Bills have not had a signature win in my opinion in the McClappy era. Some may argue the Cowboys win last year or even Andy Dalton's gift in breaking the playoff drought. We have had some good wins, but I started thinking...

What do board members believe constitutes a signature win?  Is it a dominant performance in all 3 phases of the game? A road victory against a frequent playoff team? Putting a blemish on a team with their first loss? A playoff win? A gutty come-from-behind victory? Beating the less formidable Patriots next week?

I believe the Cardinals and Steelers got signature wins this week. 

The Bills so far have played as expected. They were manhandled by clearly better teams, won some cupcakes, and eeked out wins against teams comparable in skill this year. 

Will a Bills win against NE be signature level?  Or, do they need to put together 3 wins in a row? (Jets, Pats, and Hawks, etc.)

What pelt or pelts do they need on their wall to move from fairly good to great this year?

Let's discuss.

The Pats got their asses handed to them yesterday. Worst home loss for bellycheat ever I believe they said yesterday. They are currently below .500 at 2-3.

So ... "Will the first signature win(s) come the next 3 weeks? ...

• It certainly was not in the last 3 weeks.
  • Can beating a sub .500 team be a "signature" win, even if the coach of said team is reviled?

My opinion, as satisfying as beating bellycheat and "happy ending" Kraft might be, with the current circumstances it cannot be that signature win.  As to the others, we'll see. 

9 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

A road victory against a frequent playoff team”

That. But, I would settle for a Home W, as well. 

McClapper’s record against Playoff Teams of the same year is actually WORSE than all the clueless stumblebums, we have witnessed as so called HCs this Millenium.

Pre McD? 19-78 (24%)

The Clapper

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 20%

He really hasn’t had a “signature win.”

There record vs. teams over .500 (8-8 doesn't count) is just as abysmal...

I counted 5 between 2017-19....  This year LA Rams.

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

There record vs. teams over .500 (8-8 doesn't count) is just as abysmal...

I counted 5 between 2017-19....  This year LA Rams.

Rams don’t count yet.They are 2020 #7.

Interested about the other ones. Point being, McD is just as bad as ALL the other stiffs, even though we are disinclined to believe that. And I didn’t even use the fact he’s 0-2 IN the Playoffs! 

So upcoming... beat Arizona, beat Seattle, beat Pitt!

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Bingo, so many fans are clueless on what signature win means!

It's a completely subjective term that anyone can disagree with.

I can say the win against the Jets was a signature win because we overcame adversity and grinded out a victory with McD's philosophy of next man up. 

13 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

They hung with the best in the AFC yesterday with a good look at OT. You think the Bills-Steelers game is going to look anything like that?

Anytime we hang with the Patriots, it's not good enough.  If you're the Titans and you play the Steelers competitively.....it's good enough.

I don't know, I can't predict the future.  I'm sure you had the Dolphins beating the 49ers by 26.

4 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Rams don’t count yet.They are 2020 #7.

Interested about the other ones. Point being, McD is just as bad as ALL the other stiffs, even though we are disinclined to believe that. And I didn’t even use the fact he’s 0-2 IN the Playoffs! 

So upcoming... beat Arizona, beat Seattle, beat Pitt!

I have Tenn x 2, KC, Minn, Atl.....  Anyone else?  BTW Tennessee was 9-7 both years and Minn 8-7-1.....   

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Something tells me you won't ever be happy

Something tells me you like “settling” on things in life.

Whenever you can post facts about Sean McDermott and who he’s beat that’s worth a *****, I’ll listen.

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

Something tells me you like “settling” on things in life.

Whenever you can post facts about Sean McDermott and who he’s beat that’s worth a *****, I’ll listen.

this "settling" thing is nonsense.  i'm sure you life is so buttoned up because you refuse to settle for anything less!

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

My God - you would think we are the Jets or something with all of the trolls on board.

Getting a “signature” win for this team is tough because trollish fans want to move the goalposts after each game.

Let’s see we went on the road in 2018 as huge underdogs to Minnesota (a team that was in the NFC championship game the year before) and dominated them as one of the biggest underdogs to outright win a game with several signature plays, but that gets pushed aside.

Last year we go on the road and beat Tennessee (a team that went to the AFC championship and should of beat KC) - a signature win - maybe for some fan bases, but not you.

Pittsburgh/Dallas in prime time - both games propel us to the playoffs, but our wins knocked them out - both wins on the road and both as slight dogs.  Going through your criteria the Bills have several wins that hit you definition- they have dominated games in all 3 phases, they have road wins against frequent playoff teams, gutty come from behind wins, putting first or critical losses on teams, but they do not seem to count for you.

The issue is after each of wins - trolling fans find reasons to lessen the Bills wins and the same thing will happen with the next 3 games.  If they beat the Pats does it mean anything?  That would move them to 2-5 and therefore mean nothing once done.  Seattle is no longer unbeaten and could be on a 2 game losing streak when we play.  The Cardinals are so up and down that if we win by the end of the year it might be meaningless.

Just relax and enjoy another playoff year and see where it goes.

Same fans wold have demanded Cowher be fired 10 years before he won the Super Bowl, and would have demanded the next three coaches were fired too in the 12 years it took the Steelers to win it under Cowher. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I have Tenn x 2, KC, Minn, Atl.....  Anyone else?  BTW Tennessee was 9-7 both years and Minn 8-7-1.....   

Don’t know what you’re talking about! 

Tennessee only played the Bills as a PLAYOFF Team in 2019 and likely this year! Ergo, 1-1.

And Minnesota didn’t lose in a year they went to the PLAYOFFS!

Even, if I grant you an imaginary victory, it’s still a HORRIBLE record! 

2 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Don’t know what you’re talking about! 

Tennessee only played the Bills as a PLAYOFF Team in 2019 and likely this year! Ergo, 1-1.

And Minnesota didn’t lose in a year they went to the PLAYOFFS!

Even, if I grant you an imaginary victory, it’s still a HORRIBLE record! 

I said the Bills have only 5 wins vs. teams OVER .500 the prior three years & named them.  25-23 2017-2019 and of ther 25 wins, 5 were vs. teams over .500.

Is that clear enough?  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. K said:

Judging by Cam Newton and the pats running game I think we're looking at the same game as this week. If McClappenstien gets McWins and clapperoos to the McPlayoffs I'm McHappy. Even if its the Tyler Bass God Make It Stop Game. 19 years of no playoff was horrible...

19 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I said the Bills have only 5 wins vs. teams OVER .500 the prior three years & named them.  25-23 2017-2019 and of ther 25 wins, 5 were vs. teams over .500.

Is that clear enough?  

Sure. But, THAT is a lower bar. Not the one I set- the Playoff one, which is the one I set and YOU responded to!

Is that clear!