The McDermott Era...Will the first signature win(s) come the next 3 weeks?

Wizard

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I think at this point McClappington needs to win a playoff game.

That moves the franchise forward now.

Another first playoff game loss is not going to do it.

The big "we finally did it!" win we all wanted to see against NE is not going to happen; it can't happen now that they have moved on from Brady, had a bunch of covid no-shows, and are having a pretty terrible season.

I do agree that we need to see some playoff wins. If we win the division and lose straight away we are veering too close to Marvin Lewis territory. 

1 minute ago, Big C said:

I do agree that we need to see some playoff wins. If we win the division and lose straight away we are veering too close to Marvin Lewis territory. 

My greatest fear is that we fall into a Marvin Lewis/Andy Dalton era where we do a lot of regular season winning but are never a threat to do anything in the playoffs.  

And that the era lasts for 5-8 years or some substantial amount of time.

Just successful enough to seem good form a distance, but not worth a damn when examined in detail.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

My greatest fear is that we fall into a Marvin Lewis/Andy Dalton era where we do a lot of regular season winning but are never a threat to do anything in the playoffs.  

And that the era lasts for 5-8 years or some substantial amount of time.

Just successful enough to seem good form a distance, but not worth a damn when examined in detail.

Indeed. It is the same as QB purgatory a la Matthew Stafford where it can cripple you for up to a decade but you are still resectable. This is supposed to be the year where we emerge as the real deal. We have shown flashes but we're still working out some kinks. And that's OK. As far as I'm concered, we still look like a much better team than last year even if we have some WTF moments. The second half is far more important. 

35 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Judging by Cam Newton and the pats running game I think we're looking at the same game as this week. If McClappenstien gets McWins and clapperoos to the McPlayoffs I'm McHappy. Even if its the Tyler Bass God Make It Stop Game. 19 years of no playoff was horrible...

Gotta beat the McCheats first.

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think at this point McClappington needs to win a playoff game.

That moves the franchise forward now.

Another first playoff game loss is not going to do it.

The big "we finally did it!" win we all wanted to see against NE is not going to happen; it can't happen now that they have moved on from Brady, had a bunch of covid no-shows, and are having a pretty terrible season.

YE OLE concurs! Miami looks like a much bigger threat to us than New England at this point... although they may take a step back going to Tua. This now is just a must win game against a 2-4 team. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

What the f is a "signature win." Is that something that comes in a box of Wheaties and has Vince Lombardi's autograph on it?

Its something local low info talk radio made up when they discovered Allen was probably the real deal and "culture" was indeed important and significant. 

Its basically in the same category as "accuracy." 

Its their dog whistle for "we really don't think they're this good until they beat the elite teams that win super bowls."

They just can't say that so they replace it with "signature win."  

In a few hours you're going to basically hear this on the radio: 

"No need to even discuss this.  They took care of the Jets.  They were supposed to win.  NOW it's time to prove something by beating New England."

Then, one week from now after we curb stomp them:

"That clearly wasn't the same Pats team.  This week its Seattle!  And now you can really prove something!"

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

What the f is a "signature win." Is that something that comes in a box of Wheaties and has Vince Lombardi's autograph on it?

I think a reporter types out a statement "We have won this game" and Coach McD signs it

4 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I hope he beats the Patriots and then just claps sternly in front of the camera for 2 hours. The fact that his clapping is so annoying to so many of you is just hilarious to me.

I believe McDermott should stow his McClappers after the game to prevent "overuse injury" that might affect future game performance

• Haha (+1) 1

Vikings win in Allen's rookie year. Cowboys game last year. Even the Falcons game in McDermott's first year.

They've had plenty of good wins.

This is the dumbest thread and dumbest mentality I've ever heard of. Signature wins? Really? Wins are wins.

33 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Today’s win is his 30th as our Coach and places him ahead of Wade Phillips. Only Knox, Lou & Marv have won more. All have coached multiple Bills playoff teams.

Just stop this idiocy.

Thank you. The mentality of some of these fans is just idiotic. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

For the first time ever in the 21st century against the Cheats, the Bills have the advantage at the most important position, QB.  Unfortunately, we are outmanned at HC.  Belicheat knows all the tricks (and cheats), and we won't have a crowd to make any noise.  If we have any chance to win the AFCE, next week is WWII (my favorite Marv Levy quote).  McD needs to start there.  Slay the Cheating Dragon to get to 6-2.  We'll look for the next statement win after that.

30 other NFL teams have the same issue as being outmanned at HC when facing the Patriots,

• Like (+1) 1

NE this year is not a signature win.  Sure get the monkey off their back, but don't call it a signature win.  

Neither is Arizona, who's a good team & had a great win vs. Seattle.

Beat Seattle.

Always funny to see the delineation of responses.  

Those in love with McD, say WC playoffs and Dallas and the rest of us shrug our shoulders.  Wins vs. Atl & Minn year one & two were too early in the season against good teams where yep did not know how good they would be.

To call win vs. Duck Hodges or a good win vs. 8-8 Dallas is a stretch.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Wizard said:

The Bills have not had a signature win in my opinion in the McClappy era. Some may argue the Cowboys win last year or even Andy Dalton's gift in breaking the playoff drought. We have had some good wins, but I started thinking...

What do board members believe constitutes a signature win?  Is it a dominant performance in all 3 phases of the game? A road victory against a frequent playoff team? Putting a blemish on a team with their first loss? A playoff win? A gutty come-from-behind victory? Beating the less formidable Patriots next week?

I believe the Cardinals and Steelers got signature wins this week. 

The Bills so far have played as expected. They were manhandled by clearly better teams, won some cupcakes, and eeked out wins against teams comparable in skill this year. 

Will a Bills win against NE be signature level?  Or, do they need to put together 3 wins in a row? (Jets, Pats, and Hawks, etc.)

What pelt or pelts do they need on their wall to move from fairly good to great this year?

Let's discuss.

My God - you would think we are the Jets or something with all of the trolls on board.

Getting a “signature” win for this team is tough because trollish fans want to move the goalposts after each game.

Let’s see we went on the road in 2018 as huge underdogs to Minnesota (a team that was in the NFC championship game the year before) and dominated them as one of the biggest underdogs to outright win a game with several signature plays, but that gets pushed aside.

Last year we go on the road and beat Tennessee (a team that went to the AFC championship and should of beat KC) - a signature win - maybe for some fan bases, but not you.

Pittsburgh/Dallas in prime time - both games propel us to the playoffs, but our wins knocked them out - both wins on the road and both as slight dogs.  Going through your criteria the Bills have several wins that hit you definition- they have dominated games in all 3 phases, they have road wins against frequent playoff teams, gutty come from behind wins, putting first or critical losses on teams, but they do not seem to count for you.

The issue is after each of wins - trolling fans find reasons to lessen the Bills wins and the same thing will happen with the next 3 games.  If they beat the Pats does it mean anything?  That would move them to 2-5 and therefore mean nothing once done.  Seattle is no longer unbeaten and could be on a 2 game losing streak when we play.  The Cardinals are so up and down that if we win by the end of the year it might be meaningless.

Just relax and enjoy another playoff year and see where it goes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Can a team have a signature win vs Duck Hodges?

I think it was our best win last year, but a signature win can’t be vs a non playoff team unless it’s for the division title, even worse is Duck Hodges was the QB

If Pittsburgh wins that game - even with Duck Hodges - do they go to the playoffs?  Yes that win was against a non-playoff team because we won it.  

It is not like the Bills were 20 point favorites - they were slight dogs on the road for a playoff birth.